Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1196372 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #610 on: March 08, 2007, 09:00:30 am »
I'm double breaking the rules with this one because it's not new and it doesn't use the prompts. But lately we had so many takes on their last night that I thought this one would fit in. I wrote it last November. Hope it's ok to disobey the rules for an exception.

Last Night in Tent

"Jack?"
"Mmmh"
"You awake?"
"Mmh"
"I miss you too, bud."

Slowly Jack turns around in Ennis' arms, sleepy, lazy. His hand comes up, strokes Ennis' face, he places a kiss, then turns back and is asleep again.
Everything is at peace.

(41 words)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #611 on: March 08, 2007, 09:09:39 am »
Beatrice, you totally slayed me with this one  :'(

Yep, she slayed me too, Chrissi.  Now I'm off to Manhattan to be slayed once again.  A new chapter of TE and a B Drabble all in one day!   :)

I'm double breaking the rules with this one because it's not new and it doesn't use the prompts. But lately we had so many takes on their last night that I thought this one would fit in. I wrote it last November. Hope it's ok to disobey the rules for an exception.

Last Night in Tent

"Jack?"
"Mmmh"
"You awake?"
"Mmh"
"I miss you too, bud."

Slowly Jack turns around in Ennis' arms, sleepy, lazy. His hand comes up, strokes Ennis' face, he places a kiss, then turns back and is asleep again.
Everything is at peace.

(41 words)

I'm seeing a pattern here.  Because you just slayed me, too.  I really love these "last night" drabbles - even though they break my heart.

Thanks,
Marie 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #612 on: March 08, 2007, 09:16:18 am »
Promises the prompt...

Tears

So, Ennis did what he could do. Just held on, crushed up close, heart collectin’ Jack’s tears, knowin’ that each one that fell carried his name.

B

this is beautiful beatrice

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #613 on: March 08, 2007, 11:01:21 am »
Skinny Dipping Spot by the River
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
June, 1976

"Jack, promise me somethin', willya?"

"Sure cowboy, what?"

"Don't ever make Crab Mongol again."

"You got it."

(17 words)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #614 on: March 08, 2007, 01:35:47 pm »
.  .  .  "How'd I get caught between promises, pink and blue?"  .  .  .

I kept reading that sentence -I love the wording of it- so much behind it. 

Skinny Dipping Spot by the River
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
June, 1976

"Jack, promise me somethin', willya?"

"Sure cowboy, what?"

"Don't ever make Crab Mongol again."

"You got it."

(17 words)

LMAO!!!!  :laugh: :laugh:  Oh, yeah - tomato soup, pea soup and a can of crab  :o!   I'm almost tempted to make that - just to see how bad it really is.   

Thanks!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #615 on: March 08, 2007, 02:04:30 pm »
Morning all! 

My contribution:  :)

Saturday, September 30th, 1967

A Heavy Mood ..

“You coming to bed anytime soon?” Lureen called out to Jack from the bedroom. 

He didn’t answer her immediately.  He sat hunched over on the living room sofa, his elbows resting on his aching knees, staring at the blank TV screen.  He was grateful for the silence – Bobby was sound asleep in his crib, his little crying fit of the evening had finally subsided.

“Be right there…” he answered.  He was in a heavy mood – he did not know if he was sad or angry or disappointed or overwhelmed or feeling sorry for himself or all of the above.

“Are you okay?” Lureen inquired, startling him as she walked into the dimly-lit room.  He turned around to look at her; she looked beautiful dressed in that soft pink silky negligee.  He could see her well-rounded bosom and perky nipples through the sheer fabric, her hair wavy and shiny.  He swallowed hard as she came around and sat on his lap.

“Like the night dress, do ya?” she asked coyly, kissing him lightly on the lips.  She lowered her head and whispered in his ear, “Come to bed, you get to take it off too..”.  She took his hand and pulled him towards the bedroom. 

“Need to use the bathroom ...” he managed, watching as she got on the bed and struck a seductive pose.

He splashed cold water on his face and looked at himself in the mirror.  Only a few days ago, he’d told Ennis he was willing to give up his family to be with him.  He meant it. He’d have given up anything for the promise that they would be together soon.  No more lies, no pretenses, no double lives.  He’d have to wait.  He walked back into the bedroom, stripping off his clothes, wondering if Ennis was in bed with his own wife, holding her, making love to her .. A pang of jealousy cut through him ..

(~ 326 words)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 02:16:04 pm by Lucise »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #616 on: March 08, 2007, 05:21:39 pm »

That cracks me up too Marie,, nasty sounding stuff,,,oh my my...sound like an upchuck.  Yuuk

::)   ::)   ::)     janice

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #617 on: March 08, 2007, 05:24:47 pm »
Morning all! 

My contribution:  :)

Saturday, September 30th, 1967

A Heavy Mood ..

“You coming to bed anytime soon?” Lureen called out to Jack from the bedroom. 

He didn’t answer her immediately.  He sat hunched over on the living room sofa, his elbows resting on his aching knees, staring at the blank TV screen.  He was grateful for the silence – Bobby was sound asleep in his crib, his little crying fit of the evening had finally subsided.

“Be right there…” he answered.  He was in a heavy mood – he did not know if he was sad or angry or disappointed or overwhelmed or feeling sorry for himself or all of the above.

“Are you okay?” Lureen inquired, startling him as she walked into the dimly-lit room.  He turned around to look at her; she looked beautiful dressed in that soft pink silky negligee.  He could see her well-rounded bosom and perky nipples through the sheer fabric, her hair wavy and shiny.  He swallowed hard as she came around and sat on his lap.

“Like the night dress, do ya?” she asked coyly, kissing him lightly on the lips.  She lowered her head and whispered in his ear, “Come to bed, you get to take it off too..”.  She took his hand and pulled him towards the bedroom. 

“Need to use the bathroom ...” he managed, watching as she got on the bed and struck a seductive pose.

He splashed cold water on his face and looked at himself in the mirror.  Only a few days ago, he’d told Ennis he was willing to give up his family to be with him.  He meant it. He’d have given up anything for the promise that they would be together soon.  No more lies, no pretenses, no double lives.  He’d have to wait.  He walked back into the bedroom, stripping off his clothes, wondering if Ennis was in bed with his own wife, holding her, making love to her .. A pang of jealousy cut through him ..

(~ 326 words)

We sure gave the ladies of bbm a hard day today, Milli

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #618 on: March 08, 2007, 06:45:58 pm »
Saturday, September 30th, 1967[/i]

A Heavy Mood ..
.   .    .

Heavy is such a perfect word here . . . want, sadness, lonliness, desire, frustration, regret . . . that's an awful lot of weight.   :(   Wonderful writing, as always.

Thanks,
Marie

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #619 on: March 08, 2007, 06:54:40 pm »
A Plan?

October 1967
Alma was at the store. Looking at the underwear.  But here there ain’t nothing like the ones in the magazine.  The ones they call negligee, they were black and pink and there were holes cut out all over, and they promised it would drive your man wild.  Alma looked around the store. 

“Nothing like that here” and she walked out.

Alma went back to the supermarket.

“You okay?” Monroe asked.

”Sure” Alma said, and went back to stacking the cans of corn and tomatoes.

But Alma knew she wasn’t okay.  Nothing was the same since that day. They day that she saw what she saw.  Monroe was right by her again.

“Alma, you sure you’re alright?”

“Yes Monroe, I’m fine, really.”

He looked hard at her and walked away.

Alma walked home slowly, the girls were at her sisters for the day.  She hoped Ennis was home already, he left real early this morning.  Maybe she would just act like she was wearing the fancy pink negligee.

Alma got home.

“Ennis, ya here?

No answer, but she found him sitting on the bed, staring at a postcard that must have come today.  He didn’t hear her, he just sat staring at that postcard, rubbing it over and over, not seeing her even though she was now right in front of him.  He was softly murmuring to himself, and then he put the postcard to his lips.

She turned around and said to herself “Sure won’t do me any good” and went to go pick up the girls.

(252 words)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:22:08 pm by marlb42 »