Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183187 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1050 on: April 13, 2007, 06:59:23 am »
 :o No drabble yesterday?  :o Not a single one  ???

That would have been my chance to write the best (course only) drabble of the day  ;D ;)

OK. I'll wait for today's prompts and see what I can do...

Leslie, you are gonna post new prompts, aren't you? I'm simply not able to put my chaise lounge and Adirondack chair phantasies into words  ;).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1051 on: April 13, 2007, 07:11:29 am »
I know, no drabbles! I was wondering if we could let the little bit of conversation between Do Wah and Dime Box count? LOL

Today is Friday the 13th, so how about:

• black cat
  • Superstitious (the song) by Stevie Wonder
  • Jack of Hearts

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1052 on: April 13, 2007, 07:44:56 am »
The black cat was here again. Nobody knew where she had come from; one day she had sat among the other cats of the ranch. She didn't allow anybody to touch her, but also refused to be shooed away for good. She always came back, sneaking in when the children fed the bunch of cats with left-overs from the kitchen.
Ennis sometimes saw her out on the pastures, stolling around, seemingly without aim. But mostly she hung around the horse corrals. She seemed to prefer the horse's company to the one of other cats or humans.
"Smart cat." Ennis muttered to himself.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 07:48:10 am by Penthesilea »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1053 on: April 13, 2007, 09:31:45 am »
The black cat was here again. Nobody knew where she had come from; one day she had sat among the other cats of the ranch. She didn't allow anybody to touch her, but also refused to be shooed away for good. She always came back, sneaking in when the children fed the bunch of cats with left-overs from the kitchen.
Ennis sometimes saw her out on the pastures, stolling around, seemingly without aim. But mostly she hung around the horse corrals. She seemed to prefer the horse's company to the one of other cats or humans.
"Smart cat." Ennis muttered to himself.

Oh this is wonderful, Chrissi - so original and so sweet and how great is that picture!  "Smart cat."  Ennis muttered to himself.   So very Ennis.  My black cat, Midnight, thanks you for this little tribute - she's very smart, too.   :)

Thanks for saving me from drabble withdrawal!   ;D
Marie
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1054 on: April 13, 2007, 09:47:54 am »
Pulling out onto the pavement Ennis shifts in high bringing the truck up to speed. Jack, sitting back on the bench seat, left foot resting on the transmission tunnel. “So Ennis ….you a little nervous there?”

“Who….me…..course not.” Jack nudged his leg, grinning. Ennis looked Jack returning his smile, relaxed eased back in his seat.

“So there Ennis…I was thinking….”

“Seems ya do lotta that….”

“After we get out hair cuts….still be early…..won’t be eating….till bout’ 7:00.…thought….”

“Thought what Jack…..just what were ya thinking…Huh?”

“We could go back at the room….you know …in…”

“I know an what….?” Ennis turns to Jack with a teasing smile. “Just what ya go in mind Twist?”

Jack turns looks out at the plains of eastern Colorado passing by. “I don’t know…something’ at be workin’ up ah appetite is all…you know…”

“Could go fer a walk…that’d build up good appetite….probably lot’s we haven’t seen in Denver’

Jack taps him in the calf with the point of his boot. “Was thinking on sometin’ we could do in the room.”

“Got ah deck o’ cards in the glove box...play gin.”

Jack opens the glove box, pulls out the cards, opens the box takes one out, tosses it out the window. “Guess we can’t …missin’ the Jack of hearts.”

“Now what did cha go ‘n do that for?….huh?….damn litterbug.”

“Since when do we need ah deck of cards.”

“Seems like they came in handy that time we were goin’ up ta the mountains last year and got stuck on the wrong side of that stalled freight train….wuz stuck there fer almost two hours. Did pretty good in five card stud….Hey ….that reminds me…you still owe me twenty dollars I won ya.”

“I kinda got other plans fer you….think I got a way to pay ya back”

“Ya mean like checkers? …..we could do that…Play fer money.” Ennis now enjoying the verbal sparing.

“Yeah Ennis checkers!…..spend an anniversary in a nice hotel playin’ checkers!”

“Okay…if that’s what ya wanna do……to bad though…didn’t bring em.”

“Didn’t even think we had any….” They both turn to each other and then burst out laughing.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1055 on: April 13, 2007, 09:59:27 am »
:o No drabble yesterday?  :o Not a single one  ???

I got one I'll write on htese prpmpts when I get back home.

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1056 on: April 13, 2007, 11:07:08 am »
Oh this is wonderful, Chrissi - so original and so sweet and how great is that picture!  "Smart cat."  Ennis muttered to himself.   So very Ennis.  My black cat, Midnight, thanks you for this little tribute - she's very smart, too.   :)

Thanks for saving me from drabble withdrawal!   ;D
Marie
Marie

Awww, Marie, thank you very much  :-*. You have no idea how much your comments cheer us up every day. Thank you for being so cheerful, untiring and supportive of this drabble thingie.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1057 on: April 13, 2007, 11:18:52 am »

“Ya mean like checkers? …..we could do that…Play fer money.” Ennis now enjoying the verbal sparing.

“Yeah Ennis checkers!…..spend an anniversary in a nice hotel playin’ checkers!”

“Okay…if that’s what ya wanna do……to bad though…didn’t bring em.”

“Didn’t even think we had any….” They both turn to each other and then burst out laughing.

Is this a rerun? Or did I read it elsewhere in your story? - Anyway, I enjoyed it the second time as much as the first time. Love our boys lighthearted and especially this:
Ennis now enjoying the verbal sparing - I can *so* picture him here. Similar to the "run 'em sheep off again, if you don't quiet down" scene.

If only, if only...
Damn. You write such a beautiful lighthearted drabble and I got a lump in my throat again. After all those months. Brokeback got me still good.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1058 on: April 13, 2007, 11:50:07 am »
I know, no drabbles! I was wondering if we could let the little bit of conversation between Do Wah and Dime Box count? LOL

Yesterday's prompts were so great too! 
And I missed them - I was covered in work and blah but today's friday at last!!
Hope I can get back into the dabbling groove!  8)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1059 on: April 13, 2007, 01:05:38 pm »
My dabble for today!  :)

A Mysterious Friend..

She caressed the soft fur and the black cat purred happily in her lap.  She’d first spotted him a month ago, chasing after butterflies and little mice in the fields.  She’d wondered where he came from, and why he kept hanging around their little farmhouse.  One night, she left a little bowl of milk by the front porch; its contents were gone by dawn.  Every day after that, she filled the little bowl with milk or little bits of food and hoped for another visit.

Then two days before, she’d been to the little cemetery – just like she did around this time each month.  She removed the little weeds around her boy’s grave and planted a few flowers.  She called his name and said a little prayer, and then she recited his favorite bedtime story from when he was a little boy.  She’d sat there in silence until darkness slowly descended upon the prairie.  She’d gotten up to leave when she'd seen him – curled up in a black ball behind the cream-colored tombstone.  She wondered how long he’d been there, or if he’d followed her to the cemetery and why he’d chosen this gravestone.  He’d followed her home that night.

She rocked softly in the creaking rocking chair on the front porch and smoothed the black and white fur on top of his head with her thumb.  It was a quiet, warm evening and she welcomed the cool breeze upon her skin.  She’d began thinking of what to name him when he got up from her lap and jumped onto floor beside her feet, then down the old steps and onto the grass; tiny paws carrying him quickly, further away from the little house.  She was not superstitious but she began to wonder about her little black, furry friend.  She decided not to name him, he was free to come and go; one day he’d disappear just as mysteriously as he’d appeared.  She went indoors when he vanished into the overgrown bushes..

That night, a steady stream of moonlight gleamed upon the black, shiny coat as he curled up against that gravestone.  He slept soundly beneath the few words carved in stone, “In Loving Memory of Jack Twist”.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 04:01:21 am by Lucise »