Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1184489 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1080 on: April 17, 2007, 01:53:12 pm »
Greetings.  My dabble .. :)

A Little Solace

August 1971

“Can we talk about this later?” Ennis said, looking over his shoulder impatiently.  He could feel her eyes burning holes into his back.  He was not in a good mood tonight and the last thing he needed was twenty questions from Alma.  He paced the corner of the living room, the phone pressed to his ear.

“We’ll talk about this later .. please.  I gotta git the girls ready for supper.”  He sneaked another look at Alma; she was now busily chopping vegetables at the counter.  “Yap..I’ll see ya then.  Like we planned ...  Bye.”  He hung up the phone and took a deep, shaky breath. 

He walked into the kitchen and Alma wordlessly passed him a glass jar of tomato paste.  He twisted the lid open and gave it back to her.  She gave him a funny look, and resumed her cooking without a word.  Fuckin’ great.  Now she was giving him the cold shoulder.  He walked to the bedroom and sat down heavily on the bed.

Jack's unexpected phone call had thrown him in a jittery mood.  If only Alma hadn’t been home, maybe they could’ve talked a bit more.  Jack had sounded stressed out and desperate; and his voice had been slurred and tired, like he’d been drinking.  All he’d wanted to say was that he was thinking of Ennis; wondering whether they would ever make a go of things – together.

Ennis could feel his eyes sting with tears.  It killed him to hear Jack sound so broken.  He longed to hold him and comfort him any way he knew how.  What a fuckin’ mess.  He couldn’t make either of them happy – Alma was moody; Jack was disappointed and frustrated.  What he desperately needed this minute was to ride away to some place far from this crippled existence; just disappear for a while.

“Dad, Ma says supper is ready..” came Junior’s little voice from the other side of the half-open door.  He smiled when he saw those liquid brown eyes.  For a brief moment, they watered down the smoldering feelings that burned inside; granting him a little solace.

“I’m comin’ darlin.” He smiled as she scurried away..

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:07:49 pm by Lucise »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1081 on: April 17, 2007, 03:12:35 pm »
Greetings.  My dabble .. :)

A Little Solace

Milli, you paint the atmosphere in the Del Mar household so well, all those things unsaid, simmering under the surface. Seems like Junior picks this up very well and somehow knows what her daddy needs at that moment.

Thank you!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1082 on: April 17, 2007, 06:10:55 pm »
Thanks for stepping in, everyone, while I was weathering the weather!

I am back online, hopefully things will get back to normal around here.

L

Glad you're safe and sound, Leslie.  :)

.  .  .
Bobby turns to Ennis. "Ennis ....Ennis that ok with you?....we can bunk up...just like me 'n Pop...you can sleep in the bed he used.   .  .  . 

I love this, Mark - watching Ennis and Bobby together - thanks for continuing!

71 days. June, 10th to August, 20th.
71 days without a word.
71 days since he was told he could get time off at the end of August, after all.
71 days since he had mailed the postcard.
71 days were enough.

He went to the phone booth.

(48 words)

Dang, that's great, Chrissi.  Days, hours, minutes, seconds . . . all must have seemed like an eternity.   :(

A Little Solace
.  .  .
“Dad, Ma says supper is ready..” came Junior’s little voice from the other side of the half-open door.  He smiled when he saw those liquid brown eyes.  For a brief moment, they watered down the smoldering feelings that burned inside; granting him a little solace.

“I’m comin’ darlin.” He smiled as she scurried away..   

You've done it again, Milli - just what I was talking about yesterday.  You touch me so much with your amazing empathy - you're able to get inside every character's mind at the same time. 

Thanks, drabblers
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1083 on: April 17, 2007, 06:49:07 pm »
Milli, you paint the atmosphere in the Del Mar household so well, all those things unsaid, simmering under the surface. Seems like Junior picks this up very well and somehow knows what her daddy needs at that moment.
Thank you!

Thanks Fabienne.  There are times when one is dancing around the edge, when something as simple as a smile or a little word comes along and keeps one from falling over.  I think Jr gave that gift to her father at that moment, of course, she had no idea of what she'd done ..  :)

Marie ~ I know I sound like a broken record at this point, lol .. but thank you for all the comments..what a boost. ;)

Cheers drabblers!
~M

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1084 on: April 17, 2007, 07:03:19 pm »
(I have tons of work, but here is a 'drabble'.  I feel almost out of practice, but this goes with the one from a little while ago....)

The Visitor

(August 1985)
Ennis stared at the smoldering cigarette in the lid of the jar that Tom used as an ashtray.  It left an eerie glow.  Tom was asleep in the lounge chair.  It was a clear night, the stars were bright in the far away sky. 

Ennis looked at Tom and sighed.  It was the first time that Ennis had spoken to him in over a month.  Ever since that strange and crazy day.  Tom had been waiting for him night after night, but he had just walked right past him.  Until tonight.

Tom was waiting again.  “I am really sorry” he said, “that was a stupid thing for me to do.”  Ennis stared at him, still remembered the feeling of being so out of control, when Tom was speeding up the mountain.  “It’s just that you sometimes seem so scared” Tom said softly.  “I don’t know why, you shouldn’t be, not of me, not being with me.”  Tom reached out and gently touched Ennis’s arm.  “I really am sorry, I shouldn’t have tried to scare you, I had no business tryin’ to teach you a lesson.  Please forgive me, just come over.”

This night Ennis did.  They sat there for a couple of hours, smoking and drinking beer.  Finally Ennis was able to sort of joke about that day.  But now Tom was sleeping, a peaceful look on his face.  Sleep still did not come easy to Ennis.  He sat there smoking his cigarette.  Suddenly there was a noise, a rustle.  Ennis looked all around, but nothing was to be seen.  It then became quiet, but Ennis kept looking around.  He felt something strange, a weird presence.

Tom stirred.  “How about some dinner?” he said.  They went inside Tom’s trailer.  Ennis sat at the table and looked at the car magazine.  He still had a strange feeling, like they were not alone.  He felt stranger now than he did that day.  He went over and put his arms around Tom, who was at the stove.  But he was relieved what Tom gently pushed him away.  He felt like they were not alone.

After they ate Tom asked him to stay.  Tom wrapped his arms around him.  Ennis felt his questioning lips.  But Ennis pulled away, then said “not tonight.”  He slowly walked back to his trailer in the darkness.  The presence was now gone, but the feeling remained. 

Later that night Ennis fell into a deep sleep, for the first time in weeks.  He wasn’t alone.  He was with Jack, in the mountains, back in ‘71, when their time together was still so sweet.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1085 on: April 18, 2007, 08:31:59 am »

. . . It was a clear night, the stars were bright in the far away sky. 

Marl, I love the recurring references to the stars and to a "presence" - beautiful.

Thanks for continuing with this,
Marie 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1086 on: April 18, 2007, 10:37:25 am »
Morning all,

Give these a go...

• drawbridge
  • peanuts
  • priceless

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1087 on: April 18, 2007, 12:40:24 pm »
June 1988

"You boys want another piece of pie?...more ice cream with chocolate syrup and nuts?"

"No Ma'am...Ah'm stuffed. Your sure ah good cook."

"No Grandma...can't eat 'nother bite."

"We'll boys I'll go and turn in, read a bit."

"You want to join us on the porch?"

"No, you boys just sit back and relax....see you boys in the morning."

"Nite Ma'am."

"Nite Grandma."

The two men sit back in their chairs, gazing out at the endless prairie under a blanlet of brilliant stars.

"Bobby...did ya ever work fer yer grandpa...Ah mean yer grandpa Newsome...you know sellin' tractors er somethin?'" 

"Yeah I did...mostly just cleanin' up...stockin' shelves in parts...sweeping...stuff like that. I did get ta sell some machinery ta a couple of regular customers....fellas that knew dad...why you ask Ennis?"

"Well...wanna do right by yer mama and dad....kind a embarrassed...hav'in ya go back ta Texas thinkin' Ah didn't"

"What are ya takin' 'bout Ennis?"

"Guess yer dad told yer mama...told yer mama...If anything ever happened ta him ta take care o' me...." Ennis looks down. "After yer daddy was gone....your mama....left me some money fer me 'n my girls....said I was ta get me a new truck 'n horse trailer. Never bought a new truck before....got the only ones Ah had from ranchers Ah worked fer. Went ta the Ford dealer in Riverton...all the had wuz automatics...told them Ah wanted ah shift...said Ah had ta take what wuz on the lot...gave me ah bunch of double talk...ask where'd Ah get the money ta buy a new truck...treated me kinda bad...so Ah just left...never even botherd 'bout the trailer. Wuz wondering if...."

"Ennis ya don't hav'ta say no more...Were goin' inta town next week anyways...we'll just go ta the Ford dealer in Sheridan...this time o' year best ta wait till the new models come out in the fall....We'll order one up fer ya...one of 'm 1989 models...get everthing on it ya want....have it drop shipped ta the dealer in Riverton...wont get no commission....that'll show them!"

Five days later Ennis and Bobby are at Fremont Ford pouring over the confidential order guide of the 1989 Ford trucks. "I want ta get one with that extra low granny gear...never had one b'for."

"You sure  you want the 300 CID six? Ya can have a V8."

"Naw...them sixes pull better of the line that them small V8's. Whut color should Ah be gettin'....wuz thinkin' 'bout mebe red...might be best ta have white on the hood 'n roof."

"Ya can get two tone...look at this 'Victoria Two Tone' white on the hood, red on the sides."

"That might be good..."

"Ennis you should at least get the styled wheels...ya don't want just plain hubcaps?"

That evening after splitting a large pizza at Ole's Pizza & Spaghetti House the pair made their way back to Lightning Flat, Ennis's old pickup piled hi with lumber, house paint, fencing, feed  towing a brand new Featherlite two horse trailer with Perry's Trailer Sales placard in the license plate pocket. "Gonna want ya ta have grandma's horses...you'll need ta have the trailer ta take them home." Bobby had said. Neither had yet spoke it, each knew where they would go this summer needing both the horses and trailer.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 02:24:08 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1088 on: April 18, 2007, 02:42:59 pm »
Hiya folks!  My dabble ..
I am in a bit of a silly mood.  Guess this reflects that .. 
Pardon the title ...    :P

Oh Shit!

July 1978

She was still yapping away when he fired up the engine and started in the direction of home.  Jesus H., the woman had a mouth on her; boy, did she ever talk a blue streak.  If her mouth were a faucet, he was certain that entire continents would be flooded by now. 

“… I swear that woman irritates the heck out of me.  Her husband earns peanuts and she doesn’t work, yet she goes around town flaunting herself in plastic jewelry masquerading as gold.  Ugh!  And she has the nerve to talk about me…”

Boy, what the fuck was she going on about now?  He nodded and furrowed his brows, feigning interest.  He had it down to a science; he had perfected the “Go on honey, I’m listening...” look.  She continued her tirade about ... well, whoever she was ranting about.  He drifted off to his ‘happy place’ … he remembered the conversation he’d had with Jack Twist the night before.  Damn, he had beautiful eyes; and he’d seen something in them last night that’d piqued his interest.  He wondered if or when Jack would get back to him about that trip to Roy Taylor’s cabin.

He ventured a look in her direction; she was still talking ... blah, blah, blah.  He scurried back to his ‘happy place’ and nodded absent-mindedly.  She was a good woman, a bit talkative, but good nonetheless.  Sure, he tuned her out most of the time, but it was either that or run away screaming with his hands over both ears. No, she was alright – plus she was a good cook, and he had to admit that their escapades in bed were priceless. 

He brought his truck to a stop in front of their bungalow and looked over at her.  She was frowning, her arms folded.

“Have you heard a word of what I just said Randall?” she fumed.

Shit!  “Sure honey.  I just didn’t want to interrupt you, is all..” he pleaded.

“Well, maybe a good place to ‘interrupt’ me would’ve been after I told you that I’m pregnant with OUR child!”  She exited the truck and slammed the door.

Double shit!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 03:03:19 pm by Lucise »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1089 on: April 18, 2007, 03:35:55 pm »

I like the Bobby and Ennis story Mark...It is so sweet and heart
warming...
    Lucise; rofl that La Shawn is a character i have always loved..Her
constant prattle is hysterical...She never takes a breath....I can always
remember her with a happy smile...wonderful thanks   janice

Beautiful mind