Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183371 times)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2960 on: November 12, 2008, 11:50:24 pm »
Loose Ends

One thing about mama, she don't put things off and she hates loose ends. Tie 'em up, piece 'em together, get it over with, move on.  So it didn't surprise me when she started packing up Daddy's things so soon, biting her lip and wiping away tears, but not stopping till she was done.

I guess I'm more like Daddy.  I'm not real organized and I don't mind loose ends.  They give me some hope that things can always change.  And that's how I want to remember him -- the way he looked when he still had hope in his eyes.

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Marie,

Sad, yet beautiful and poignant.   
I sure have missed your drabbles. 
I've been away too long.    :)

C*   
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline stonebiscuit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2961 on: November 13, 2008, 07:00:35 am »
Unwritten

Racing toward the small apartment over the laundry, the inside of his chest felt like it would explode, heating up with every turn of the clock. Pulling in to the small gravel iced parking lot, his eyes widening when they set upon the handsome figure at the top of the stairs.
Ennis's surging embrace left him spinning. Ennis wondered if they'd been seen.

The news of his friend's divorce had sent him into an earth bound ecstasy - their future together could finally be realised, things could finally pan out the way the should be, were meant to be. Ennis's lonely eyes drew him in, but he couldn't dwell in his paradise, a happy ending the treat of only his imaginings, how silly had he been? The truck passing in the distance made Ennis feel ill.

Carefully folding his daughter's sweater, he saw things as he had not before. The energy that had existed between them. He could never cover all the loose ends. Now they were all he had.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2962 on: November 14, 2008, 01:09:09 pm »
Unwritten
He could never cover all the loose ends. Now they were all he had.

That is some powerful writing, stonebiscuit.  Thank you.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2963 on: November 14, 2008, 01:10:09 pm »
Some dreary Friday prompts:

• gloom and doom
  • hide nor hair
  • ball and chain

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2964 on: November 14, 2008, 01:50:23 pm »

He was always afraid of the sweet life with Jack.  He always thought of the doom and gloom it seemed to present.
Jack always told him that '' he was afraid of his own shadow.''  He knew that to be somewhat true.  But the way his
life had gone, it was like dragging around a ball and chain.  He felt like a prisoner in his own body.  In his own mind, and
in his own ideas. 
    Finally; after all this time, he knew that he would never see hide nor hair of Jack again.  He had missed his chance.
It was too late now.  That time is gone forever.  In his minds eye, he could still see those big red letters.  DECEASED!

118 wds;

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2965 on: November 16, 2008, 09:39:24 pm »

He was always afraid of the sweet life with Jack.  He always thought of the doom and gloom it seemed to present.
Jack always told him that '' he was afraid of his own shadow.''  He knew that to be somewhat true.  But the way his
life had gone, it was like dragging around a ball and chain.  He felt like a prisoner in his own body.  In his own mind, and
in his own ideas. 
    Finally; after all this time, he knew that he would never see hide nor hair of Jack again.  He had missed his chance.
It was too late now.  That time is gone forever.  In his minds eye, he could still see those big red letters.  DECEASED!

118 wds;

Janice, it's so exciting to see you drabbling!   :)  I especially like how you used "ball and chain" - so poignant.  Great job.  Thanks!

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2966 on: November 16, 2008, 09:41:13 pm »
Off the Beaten Path

He'd worn a path from the kitchen to the front door, imagining that every creak in the old house was the doorknob turning and that every rustle of the leaves against the roof was the rumbling truck. 

As he stirred the elk stew and put the cold stone biscuits back in the oven to warm, he tried unsuccessfully to shake that old sense of gloom and doom that always hovered beneath the surface.

Unable to stay put, he once again walked down the long drive, eyes straining past the curve on Dead Horse Road. 

Where the hell are you, Earl? 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2967 on: November 17, 2008, 01:14:53 am »

Thanks for the comment Marie;

That was truly a heart turner.  Surprise at the end.    owww

Beautiful mind

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #2968 on: November 18, 2008, 02:01:04 am »
Off the Beaten Path

He'd worn a path from the kitchen to the front door, imagining that every creak in the old house was the doorknob turning and that every rustle of the leaves against the roof was the rumbling truck. 

As he stirred the elk stew and put the cold stone biscuits back in the oven to warm, he tried unsuccessfully to shake that old sense of gloom and doom that always hovered beneath the surface.

Unable to stay put, he once again walked down the long drive, eyes straining past the curve on Dead Horse Road. 

Where the hell are you, Earl? 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Wow...that hurt my heart.   Powerful.  Really well done, M.   :)

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2969 on: November 24, 2008, 01:31:16 pm »
Okay, let's see what these prompts can inspire  :)

• red-hot
  • lethargic
  • wintry mix

Marie