Author Topic: Babel  (Read 2907 times)

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Babel
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:49:12 am »
Hello gang,

I saw Babel last night (finally) and was actually blown away.  I was hesitant because I had heard mixed reviews, but finally made the drive to Indianapolis to see it (as they don't get too many art-house films where I live).

I personally found it to be like Crash meets Syriana meets The Constant Gardener, in that it deals with many different people from many different cultures and how their lives interlock (Crash), but doesn't beat you over the head with a message or anything... they sort of require you to take what you want out of it (Syriana), while also being very raw and powerful and taking a very realistic approach to our global environment (The Constant Gardener).

The plot is very hard to explain, because it's very vast and they've isolated three different stories and basically tell them as if they are their own story... even though you'll find that they are all connected.

But, anyway, Rodrigo did the camerawork for it... and Gustavo did the music... and both of our boys are up for BAFTAs because of it.  BAFTAs -- you know, the awards ceremony that actually gave the top prize to the correct film (hehehe).

The performances are absolutely stellar -- especially from an unknown Rinko Kikuchi (she blew me away)!  Adriana Barraza and Brad Pitt are also stunning.  I highly recommend it... but I must admit that the film is not for everyone.  It's very different.  But, then, when I, personally, go to the cinema, I demand to see something that I've not seen before.  Babel was something I hadn't seen before and I doubt I'll ever see again.

David

Go Rodrigo and Gustavo!  (Gus is up for another Oscar, too, if anyone cares.  What?  Nobody cares?  Okay.)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Babel
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 01:47:05 pm »
Hey David,

Nice to see you back! I haven't seen Babel yet but I plan to, especially after reading your review. I've also heard mixed reviews about it but if it doesn't try to send a moral message across then it is worth seeing, IMO. Not that I mind movies with moral message but Crash, controversy aside, was a bit too dogmatic for me.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 02:48:43 pm »
Go Rodrigo and Gustavo!  (Gus is up for another Oscar, too, if anyone cares.  What?  Nobody cares?  Okay.)

Not yet seen Babel, though I am eager to go for it at the first opportunity. But definitely with you for supporting Rodrigo and Gustavo in their race for the Oscars.
By the way just happend to see "21 Grams", the other movie by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, whose musical score  was written by Gustavo. The similarity to most BBM tunes is astounding, and you can already feel there an anticipation of the great things that later came...
They were two friends of mine

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 09:07:50 pm »
David,

Yes, Babel  is quite compelling.  I found the interconnected stories intriguing; I really felt for the characters.  I mean, so many of them are doing the right thing, or at least trying to, and things just went so wrong for them.  It's like everyone is somehow a victim of circumstance.  I found the whole movie very moving.  It's being released on DVD on Feb. 20th, and I'm planning on buying it -- and I don't buy a lot of DVDs.

The performances are absolutely stellar -- especially from an unknown Rinko Kikuchi (she blew me away)!  Adriana Barraza and Brad Pitt are also stunning.  I highly recommend it... but I must admit that the film is not for everyone.  It's very different.  But, then, when I, personally, go to the cinema, I demand to see something that I've not seen before.  Babel was something I hadn't seen before and I doubt I'll ever see again.

I agree with you about Rinko Kikuchi.  She was awesome.  (BTW, IMDB has some interesting discussions about how she got the role.  Originally, the director had hoped to use a deaf women, but Kikuchi did her homework and won the part.)  Adriana Barraza was excellent, too, and, like you said, Brad Pitt.  And the two little blond kids were well-cast, too.  I can still picture the little girl screaming in the car.  What a performance by her!

Of the handful of movies I saw this year, Babel  was the one I liked best.  I highly recommend it -- but not if you're planning a trip to a remote part of Morocco and there's any chance you'll be needing medical attention.  :)

Fran

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:08:39 am by Fran »

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:42:09 pm »
  And the two little blond kids were well-cast, too.  I can still picture the little girl screaming in the car.  What a performance by her!

How about the look on her brother's face during the chicken spinning scene, it weas classic!  I just saw Babell on the weekend and I loved it as well.  It's my favourite of the five oscar nominees although I've yet to see The Queen but I understand that it's a fairly conventional film elelvated by Helen Mirren's performance.

Back to Babel, I thought Brad Pitt's performance was indeed impressive.  He usually underwhelms in roles that don't require hystrionics but his damaged father/husband was nicely underplayed and effective.  I hated that they had to 'add' wrinkles to basically make him look his age, lol!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 12:06:33 am »
How about the look on her brother's face during the chicken spinning scene, it was classic! 

Well, the look on my face probably matched his.  I should have seen it coming... but didn't.

Seriously, is that the "typical" way to slaughter chickens?  On second thought, maybe I don't want to know. 

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 06:55:15 am »
I'm so glad to hear about people liking this movie.  I loved it too and it was getting trashed on the Oscar predictions thread.