Author Topic: Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'  (Read 31297 times)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Re: Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 08:19:55 am »
Fran & Lucise - I'm so glad you both enjoyed it!  :D Like you said Fran, Eileen, Todd's mum, is brilliant. When one of her kids gets attacked she's like a lioness defending her cubs.

That Todd is a cutie, isn't he?  ;)

He's gorgeous isn't he? Here's a pic of the lovely Bruno Langley just for you Milli... :-*

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 09:36:02 am »

I think my favorite character is Todd's mother.  Todd is fortunate to have such a loving and understanding mother, one who doesn't care what the busybody neighbors think.  :)

I just finished watching this, all 14 episodes! It was great. Thanks for posting this link Nicky. And I agree Fran, that mum is the best.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 09:41:11 am »
...Eileen, Todd's mum, is brilliant. When one of her kids gets attacked she's like a lioness defending her cubs.

This is the perfect description of her.  Well said, Nicky.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 10:13:27 am »
I like the fact that it's so character-driven.  It's clear why Todd, with that 'intensity', that dogged attachment to what he believes to be his duty, that tendency to spin around and around in his thoughts without getting anywhere new, is fascinated by the mercurial, flexible, opportunistic and quick-thinking Karl.  Even Robbie is not just a jealous violent lover.  Karl's dodging and feinting were clearly driving him crazy just as much as Todd, weren't they?  In that short scene where he is first introduced to Todd, Karl in turn acts wronged simple dignity, makes Robbie smile by flattering his physical fitness, and warns him he's not intimidated, he'll be coming home when he's good and ready.  Robbie can hardly be satisfied by that clever mix, and he isn't.  Karl is a genius at making Todd and others feel safe when he wants that ('just because you kissed a bloke doesn't mean you're gay', and then somehow making Todd make secure spending so much time with an out gay man even with Nick always around).  And then, making them feel at risk by teasingly drawing back ('Well, that's the question, isn't it?')  Also ready at a moment's notice to drop the joking and put on his best manners. 

Yet he is fascinated by Todd as a complementary half too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:29:14 am by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 12:46:37 pm »
Nicky!  Bruno there is lovely .. must be the eyes and lips!  8) 
I found myself agreeing with Karl wholeheartedly when he told Todd .."I almost forgot how beautiful your eyes are.." ..

I think both characters Todd and Karl where brilliantly played!
Great analysis there, Andrew!

- Karl was quite the tease .. he certainly knew all the buttons to push to keep Todd in a constant state of "awareness" of his dilemma.  One moment, he would say something to make Todd feel better about his situation .. then the next, he would counteract that with something that would drive Todd right back to his insecurities.  I really enjoyed the chemistry between the 2 actors - they really made it work!  :)

- I agree about Eileen, she was really wonderful about it and stood by her son!  Also, I found myself applauding Todd for the way he handled things when he came out - the way he talked to his brother, opening himself up to him and telling him how much he needed him, accepting to sleep on the sofa if he was uncomfortable with him around ..  He was very mature about things.  :)

- The scene at Billy's burial was heart-breaking ..

- Does anyone think that Karl messed with the elevator in order to be stuck with Todd in there for an hour?  :P  Paranoid, I know, but the thought did cross my mind ..

Offline Andrew

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 01:41:45 pm »

- Does anyone think that Karl messed with the elevator in order to be stuck with Todd in there for an hour?  :P  Paranoid, I know, but the thought did cross my mind ..

A few of them were speculating about that at Youtube under that clip.  I think he could only if done that if he had seen Todd going into the elevator (that is not shown) and hit emergency stop instead of his floor, and if the emergency stop took several seconds to take effect - after allowing the door to close normally.  All possible if a little improbable.  Or the stopping could have been real but he could have only pretended to hit the distress button.  But I prefer to think of him as a master opportunist instead...smiling that particular opportunist's smile when events arrange themselves just right on their own: as soon as it happened he saw how to put the time to account.  I give him credit for being a conscientious nurse who would not have deliberately cut himself off from his patients for an indeterminate time.  And whatever else he may already be thinking he really doesn't want to lose a friend to homophobia.

Still, the ambiguity adds a nice angle, doesn't it?  With his love of fun Karl would get a laugh out of having a reputation such that he would be suspected of something like that he was actually quite innocent of.

If Karl was innocent...it shows how quick he is to accept things as they are, and how much slower Todd is to do that...'I can't stay here for two hours!'  A fitting symbol of bigger things in their lives.

All right, I will put my microscope away now.  Really!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:03:59 pm by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 02:28:42 pm »
Whether he caused it or not, I love the chat they had in the elevator... That is when Todd began falling, IMO.
 Karl was able to make Todd relax enough to actually tell him that he had kissed his fiance's brother!  That is something!  :)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 03:19:21 pm »
Todd was clearly so uncomfortable in the elevator that I was surprised that he sat down on the same side of the elevator as Karl.  I half expected him to sit all the way across on the other side.

As to whether Karl had anything to do with the elevator's malfunctioning:  I think it was just fate, with things happening the way they were supposed to.  :)

Fran

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 03:24:34 pm »

As to whether Karl had anything to do with the elevator's malfunctioning:  I think it was just fate, with things happening the way they were supposed to.  :)

That is probably the case Fran .. :)  Still, the thought did cross my mischievous little mind ..  ;)

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2007, 06:45:13 pm »
Andrew, please don't abandon your microscope! Your insights are really illuminating and it's great to get a gay man's perspective on the characters and the story - you've noticed things that would just pass me by... :)

- The scene at Billy's burial was heart-breaking ..

This is one of my favourite scenes Milli - the connection between Sarah and Todd is so strong here - and I forget the characters are supposed to only be 16 and 18 (the actors themselves aren't that much older, believe it or not). The storyline is so complex and has so many layers.

And I love the way that both characters mature as the story unfolds - that last scene between Karl and Todd is wonderful - you can see that Todd has travelled on an incredible journey and is now a mature man. Spoken by lesser actors those lines could've made you wince, but the scene totally works, and is heartbreaking and yet joyful at the same time.

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!