Author Topic: My trip (pics)  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
My trip (pics)
« on: April 16, 2006, 05:21:59 am »
Hi All
I've been away for two days (wish it was more), up the middle of the island, past our own broken-backed mountains, Ngauruhoe and Ruapehu. That's Tongariro (Mt Doom in LotR) off to the right. (1)
I went to stay with a dairy farmer friend who lives just in the shadow of what you might call Brokeback Hill, Maungatautari (loosely, supplejack mountain). (2)

They're spending millions putting a predator-proof fence around it so that the birds will survive. (Our birds suffered badly from all the introduced predators: cats, Australian possums, ferrets, stoats, weasels). It's wonderful inside, lots of birds, and NZ birdsong is amazing. (3, to come)
On Saturday we went on to Hamilton to see, inter alia, the statue of Richard O'Brien, who wrote The Rocky Horror Show and plays Riffraff in the film. It's set up on the site of the cinema where he saw science fiction double features in his youth. (4, to come)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 05:41:24 am by Shuggy »

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Re: My trip (pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 05:32:48 am »
pic 3
Inside Maungatautari Scenic Reserve

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 05:35:46 am »
(Ah, they print replies top down, so if you have a lot of pictures, send them first, and the message last)
pic 4
Statue of Richard O'Brien as Riffraff

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 11:18:37 am »
I wanna go to NZ!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 05:49:05 pm »
I didn't know Richard O'Brien is from NZ!  Thanks for including that among all the natural beauty.

Shuggy, there is a setting for if you want the newest post to be at the top or at the bottom.  You can go to your profile page, then to "Look and Layout Preferences," then click or unclick (whichever you prefer) "Show most recent posts at the top."

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 07:16:27 pm »
I didn't know Richard O'Brien is from NZ!  Thanks for including that among all the natural beauty.

Shuggy, there is a setting for if you want the newest post to be at the top or at the bottom.  You can go to your profile page, then to "Look and Layout Preferences," then click or unclick (whichever you prefer) "Show most recent posts at the top."

He only made a long visit: according to IMDb,
Born in Cheltenham, England [in 1942], Richard Smith's family moved to Tauranga, New Zealand, in 1951 when his father, an accountant, decided to become a sheep farmer. Watching horror and science-fiction double features in nearby Hamilton, Smith added an interest in acting to his love of rock and roll. He moved back to England in 1964, tried singing, then became a movie stuntman and fringe theater actor. He changed his name to O'Brien (his beloved maternal grandmother's name) one day while on the phone to British Actors Equity, to avoid confusion with another Richard Smith.
- but of course we claim him anyway. (The plinth of the statue was suspiciously vague, and I thought something like the above might be the case.)

I think I will change the setting. That's the order they're in on IMDb (though does anyone else feel a bit haddit - we'd say "höhä" - with IMDb?), and it's better for threads that follow on from each other.