Author Topic: A Ninth Viewing Observation  (Read 258184 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: A Ninth Viewing Observation
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2006, 10:59:32 pm »
About screwed up dates:

The ultimate example, for me, is the blue parka scene. At the beginning of the scene, the screenplay states that it is 1969. Then, three lines later, it says that Lureen is sitting in front of a calendar dated 1973.

Lureen may be on top of things, but I've never known anyone to put up a calendar four years early. ;D

(I suspect that the dates at the end of the movie were changed around so that Alma Jr. would be the same age during the "does he love you" scene as Jack and Ennis were when they met. Nice parallel, but nobody seems to have sat down with the screenplay and checked the timeline to see if it made sense.)

(Also, it seems that the movie as filmed is deliberately vague about the precise dates, even though they are stated in the screenplay. Most of the obvious time markers -- the calendar, for instance, or the drive-in showing of The Empire Strikes Back that was in an early script draft -- aren't in the final movie. And there aren't other obvious time markers, either... no JFK, no astronauts, no Nixon, no bicentennial. Just the vaguest reference to Vietnam ("...if the army don't get me") and to late-70's inflation. Actually, I kind of like it that way... I like the feeling of drifting along without obvious "here we are in 1975!" kinds of references.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 11:04:25 pm by nakymaton »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2006, 11:14:30 pm »
About screwed up dates:

The ultimate example, for me, is the blue parka scene. At the beginning of the scene, the screenplay states that it is 1969. Then, three lines later, it says that Lureen is sitting in front of a calendar dated 1973.

Lureen may be on top of things, but I've never known anyone to put up a calendar four years early. ;D

Not only that but Jack drives to the campout in his 1977 Ford truck.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:42:00 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2006, 11:20:50 pm »
Actually, I kind of like it that way... I like the feeling of drifting along without obvious "here we are in 1975!" kinds of references.

And what more do we need for that than the sideburns?  :laugh:

I agree. Besides, if you opened it up to the outside world in that way, then pretty soon you'd have to open it up in terms of politics and current events and culture. And you'd lose the value of concentrating on this one isolated group of people. We can extrapolate a lot of things from their story that apply to the larger culture, but I'm glad they mostly leave that to the viewer rather than make explicit connections themselves.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2006, 11:27:26 pm »
And what more do we need for that than the sideburns?  :laugh:

Tell you what... I've actually got a huge crush on the sideburns. I have no idea why. I have never had a thing for sideburns before, maybe because I associate them with polyester leisure suits. But those sideburns? Yowza.

*hides in embarrassment*

(And jpwagoneer -- is that 1977 truck the one that people keep mentioning as being an error? I am really, really bad at dating vehicles.)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2006, 11:50:22 pm »
Whenever the sideburns appear, I think of that line from the famous "cowboy etiquette" thread that was something like, "If unable to grow sideburns, simply apply Brillo pad to side of face."

To this day, I am haunted by hilarious lines from that damn "cowboy etiquette" thread whenever I watch the movie.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2006, 11:53:29 pm »
Whenever the sideburns appear, I think of that line from the famous "cowboy etiquette" thread that was something like, "If unable to grow sideburns, simply apply Brillo pad to side of face."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: OMG! Love it!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2006, 11:56:41 pm »
Brillo pads?!?!?!?!?!

*hugs sideburns*

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2006, 11:59:40 pm »
Brillo pads?!?!?!?!?!

*hugs sideburns*

Sorry, Mel. The are actually cute.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2006, 12:01:59 am »
dly64 and nakymaton...good job researching the SMU and their football schedule this fall.  I'm guessing nakymaton is a football fan, but dly64 not so much?  I was unable to get back to this subject soon, but I did manage to watch the scene again and heard her say it.  

Jeff...yes, along with U of Texas, Texas Tech (TT), Southern Methodist U (SMU), Rice, Texas Christian U (TCU).  They don't necessarily pay each other each year, as discovered by nakymaton above.

How involved do you think we will become in Texas (the state) football games this year?  

As to the timeline, I have become so confused by what happen in what order that I am just going to accept it too. (I can't fix it, so I gotta stand it).  

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2006, 12:12:49 am »
Doug... nope, not a football fan at all. Just a fan of colleges and universities in general, and somebody who tends to be aware of the sort of reputation that various large schools have. ;D And the Texas schools... have a reputation for being obsessed with football.

(And thank you for rescuing the thread from the Brillo pads discussion. ;D )