Author Topic: Funny Lines/Moments in BBM  (Read 9726 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: Funny Lines/Moments in BBM
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 07:32:03 am »
Ennis: And that's the story of my saddle bronc career.
Monroe (with knife): Wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

This is HILARIOUS, Kirk.. you do a stunning impression of an electric knife...

*giggling my head off*
Chut up!

moremojo

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 12:08:41 pm »
There are lots of moments of gentle humor in the film, particularly in the Brokeback Mountain scenes. Quite a few of my favorites involve profanity, which is kind of surprising, since I refrain from profanity in my own life, unless I'm really steamed and need to vent, quoting someone else's use of it, or occasionally invoking it as "dirty talk" with a partner who's into that. But these are some of my favorite humorous moments in BBM (in no particular order):

--Jack's "Fuck Aguirre!", when he's dragging the sheep (it's the way he says it that makes me smile)
--Ennis's "You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity", followed by his bashful little smile, and Jack's delighted laugh
--Ennis's "Shit!", when he's too drunk and it's too late to go back to them sheep (methinks Ennis intentionally stayed at camp a bit too long)
--Ennis's shivering "Whut?", followed by his drunkenly clumsy traipse into the tent
--Ennis's "I was gettin tired of your dumbass missing!"
--The whole rodeo enactment scene, especially Ennis's hemming and shrugging when Jack says "The hell they are!"
--Ennis's "You girls need a push or sumpin?"; I love how even in the midst of his anger, Ennis can show love to his children
--Ennis's claim that his prayer was in thanks that Jack had forgotten to bring his harmonica
--Jack lassoing Ennis on their last day on the mountain
--Ennis kicking the dust in frustration (he does this twice, and I just find it adorable, at the same time as I sympathize with the frustration it represents)
--Ennis's frequent use of "hunh?" and "hmmm"...both so endearing

These are the moments that immediately come to mind for me. Seeing the film multiple times has helped to highlight the story's happier moments.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:30:11 pm by moremojo »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 01:04:44 pm »

This part makes me laugh every time. I think it has more to do with Jack's laugh after Ennis pushes him. It really seems like Jake didn't expect the push and he genuinely laughs.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 10:05:29 am »

This part makes me laugh every time. I think it has more to do with Jack's laugh after Ennis pushes him. It really seems like Jake didn't expect the push and he genuinely laughs.

Right!  And I love how as they get up, they keep pushing each other - Jack kind of pushes Ennis again in saying "Let's get a move on..." and Ennis kind of pushes him back.  All very affectionate and endearing to them and to us.
No more beans!

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 10:10:05 am »
 ;)
Objects in the rear-view mirror may appear closer than they really are.

can I assume this is referring to Jack watching Ennis as he drives away?.............................. ???
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 01:19:12 pm »

Right!  And I love how as they get up, they keep pushing each other - Jack kind of pushes Ennis again in saying "Let's get a move on..." and Ennis kind of pushes him back.  All very affectionate and endearing to them and to us.

Yes! They're like school kids with crushes, looking for ways to touch each other when they aren't yet at the point where they can do it fer real.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 03:02:57 pm »
"Earlier today I was castratin' calves.."

Lol the way he says it and the look Cassie gives always makes me chuckle :D

vkm91941

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 03:30:44 pm »
I'm one of those people who chucked when Alma catches them kissing, not because I don't empathize with her but because the first things that popped into my mind was "B*U*S*T*E*D!" ;)

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 04:13:17 pm »
I love all the funny moments that you listed
nice to think funny thoughts about Brokeback

There are two innocent funny moments that I love
you mentioned one "you girls want a push or sumpin" and their chorused reply.

then there is the real innocent line from Ennis
"All right, as long as I don't have to sing."
in response to the question
"Hey daddy!  The church picnic's next weekend. Will you be back from fishin'
  by next weekend? Please, daddy, please!"

and then Alma reminds him that he is leaving his fishing things as he rushes off to be with Jack Nasty.
  I love Jack Nasty, and lots of hisfunny  lines too.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 11:27:33 pm »
The majority of scenes during the first third of the movie make me chuckle. Some of those scenes are extremely adorable.

I love Jack's face right before he says "The hell they are" after Ennis insults rodeo cowboys.

I also like "Jack Twist? Jack Nasty!" I don't know why I find that funny and I never laugh while I watch that scene but when I think back on it, it makes me smile.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger