Author Topic: Funny Lines/Moments in BBM  (Read 9833 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Funny Lines/Moments in BBM
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 12:01:46 am »
There are a bunch of lines and moments that aren't particularly funny in and of themselves, but that always make me laugh because they make me think of the Cowboy Etiquette thread. For example, when Ennis parks his truck under the sign that says "Laundromat entrace in the  front," I always remember the line (I haven't read the thread recently so forgive me if I'm remembering wrong, but I think this was one of Ellemeno's many HILARIOUS lines):

"Always park your truck right under the 'laundromat entrance in the front' sign so that everybody knows what entrance you really like using."

So now I always crack up when I see this part. And I always wonder whether it's possible that Ang Lee (or whoever) did that on purpose.

There are lots of little funny moments in the movie. But the Cowboy Etiquette thread came out before my third or fourth viewing of the movie, and after that  I laughed at a lot of things that probably nobody else in the theater found very funny.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2006, 01:29:04 am »
Oooh, latjoreme, me too! I haven't read that thread in a while, but the one's I'm remembering are something like "Directing a punch through the open window of one who has yelled 'hey *beep* watch where you're going!' may prolong an encounter best kept brief" and "When someone is helping you clear the dishes, it is impolite to accuse them of buggery, even if you have reason to believe it is true." I love that thread!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2006, 05:32:10 am »
Oh guys, I'm so happy you mentioned this... when Ray and I watched it at his place, we got to the part where the guys are sitting at the campfire talking about rodeoing and we said at almost exactly the same time "you can't get comfortable until your boot is shoved ALL THE WAY INTO the fire"..  lol! One of Sarah's classics, if memory serves.

And I can't watch the movie anymore without the following etiquette thread excerpts making me smile:

* canned bean labels should be rotated toward camera
* the typical cowboy honeymoon consists of 1 day of sledding down a snowy mountain with your bride
* The polite cowboy will never refuse the offer to rub the tired, smelly feet of his waitress.
* Color of cowboy hat and horse should differ lest one appear too 'matchy.
* When lassoing friend, apply lariat from the front. Lassoing from behind may lead to fisticuffs.
* When streaking out the door with boyfriend, it is most cordial to offer wife some smokes.
* In case you can't grow sideburns, apply brillo pads to face.
* Before delivering disappointing news, it is good manners to clean off the listener's truck door handle.
* when a stranger visits your home, decides to rummage through a family member's closet and take an item of clothing without permission, it is expected that you should offer a paper bag for him to take said item home.
* It should surprise no one to run into Chilean sheepherders in the middle of Wyoming.
* Be careful. Don't let your good manners "write a check that your body is not willing to cash". Sometimes you think you're just picking up a fallen red hat...
* Short-legged pudgy rodeo clowns become tall, slim, and long-legged when encountered in bars. However, they are sometimes considerably uglier there.

Okay, so i think about a lot of them... that thread was hilarious.. I keep a printout of it with me at work and read it if I'm feeling annoyed with the world. It always makes me smile...
 ;D
Chut up!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2006, 11:30:52 am »
Yeah! These are among my favorites, too. Along with, "When visiting your cowboy boyfriend, it is polite to stop in and greet his wife before speeding off to a motel for hot sex."

I just need to go back and read the whole thread!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2006, 01:51:19 pm »
Foot in the fire, foot in the fire!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 01:39:50 am »
I'll add mine (what happened to the thread? I thought we saved it!)?

Never slug your ex-wife, no matter how much you want to.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 02:29:25 am by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 04:30:20 am »
Three words: Lean. Against. EVERYTHING.
Chut up!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 06:33:44 am »
Three words: I ain't queer!

Two More words: Me neither!

Final words: I swear!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 06:35:27 am »
That's not really funny is it, but I think it sums it up!
~A good general knows when to retreat~