Author Topic: "Breakfast With Scot" - anyone heard of it?  (Read 2642 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"Breakfast With Scot" - anyone heard of it?
« on: February 13, 2007, 05:33:20 am »
I posted this on 'Safe Haven' but I thought it could be interesting here too, to see what you think of the film. It's the first time I hear about it. It sounds kind of intrieguing..

Just read this on IMDb -

Christian Activists Campaign Against Yet-Unfinished Movie - The upcoming indie movie "Breakfast With Scot", which tells the story of two gay men -- one of whom is a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team -- who are raising an eccentric 11-year-old boy, is already arousing controversy even before its release, the Los Angeles Times reported Sunday. Bernadette Mansur, the NHL's senior vice president for communications, indicated that the protests are being spearheaded by Christian activist James Hartline, who claims to be a former homosexual. Although he has not seen the movie, he has called it "degrading" and accused the NHL of "promoting homosexualization of small children" and "becoming a willing partner with the fringe elements of the radicalized homosexual agenda and their ultimate goal of worldwide sexual anarchy." In Canada itself, Brian Rushfeldt of Canada Family Action Coalition charged that the Maple Leafs are "underwriting homosexuality. ... I don't think it does much for the image of the NHL amongst families who may want their children involved in hockey." Mansur insisted, however, that the NFL "didn't intend to make a statement one way or another about homosexuals" and that the film merely tells "a story of a contemporary American family that exists today."

It just never ends..   :-X

I pity James Hartline, really and what is Rushfeldt on about?.. "I don't think it does much for the image of the NHL amongst families who may want their children involved in hockey"... Goooosh! This guy has existential issues..

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: "Breakfast With Scot" - anyone heard of it?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 10:11:34 pm »
I wonder if the people who are objecting to the film have seen a script.  My guess is that the two gay men are portrayed as decent guys bringing up their son to be open-minded while they fend off just such prejudice as is now being directed against the film. 

Why don't these zealots spend their energy making their own film about a pair of evil-minded sodomites determined to brainwash their son into being a soldier for the homosexual agenda?  Maybe because then they'd have to actually sit down and think about how silly and far-fetched that scenario is.  ::)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 10:23:17 pm »
...Christian activist James Hartline, who claims to be a former homosexual. Although he has not seen the movie, he has called it "degrading" and accused the NHL of "promoting homosexualization of small children" and "becoming a willing partner with the fringe elements of the radicalized homosexual agenda and their ultimate goal of worldwide sexual anarchy."

Lobotomies must be part of the "treatment" to become a "former homosexual".  Sick fuck! 

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 10:27:54 pm »
Sounds like a great little film to me  :D  This from IMDb.  Could be another for my list of fav's.  I adored About a Boy and Billy Elliot.

Plot Summary for
Breakfast with Scot (2007)

This is a fantastic script - hilarious with heart. Ed and Sam have been in a committed relationship for four years. Ed's a former hockey player turned sportscaster and Sam's a sport's lawyer. But when Sam's adventure seeking brother Billy, takes a job in South America, his ex-girlfriend, Julie, is discovered dead from a drug overdose leaving her son Scot (not Billy's son) to Billy. But Billy is missing in action so Sam is left to pick up the pieces. But the problem is Ed never wanted kids. When 11 year old Scot arrives and they open his duffle bag, inside they find... one pink musical hairbrush, two plastic containers of beads and faux-gold chains, a pink poodle belt, and four pairs of white sock-ettes with lacy fringe at the top... they realize Scot is more out of the closet then they are even though he does not know it yet. A unique boy in an even more unusual situation, Scot throws Ed and Sam's life into complete disarray. When Billy finally show's up to take Scot back to South America - Ed and Sam can't bear the thought of losing Scot. In the spirit of ABOUT A BOY, BILLY ELLIOT and MA VIE EN ROSE, BREAKFAST WITH SCOT explores what it truly means to be a family, hilariously contrasting familial stereotypes with the realities of family life and showing how it feels to be a boy who doesn't quite fit into the role society has prepared for him.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 12:58:34 am »
LOL,  j. U. d. E. you beat me to it!  I did see that on imdb and was thinking about posting that same bit of info/ commentary that you quoted here on BetterMost.

The film does sound interesting! 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie