Author Topic: Book Discussion: Brokeback Mountain  (Read 110519 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Book Discussion: Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2008, 03:21:33 pm »
I think there is a poll in here somewhere, and I'm gonna go over to David's forum and start one!

Okay, I have created a poll...please go over to "Is it better to have loved..." and vote!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2008, 09:46:03 pm »
I can't believe how often I use the phrase "rusty but still usable." In the story, this described another phrase "Time to hit the hay." And to tie it all together, LaShawn used the phrase "chewing gum and baling wire." But that last one wasn't in the book, in fact LaShawn wasn't in the book at all!!

But baling wire is used to bind hay in the process of harvesting it.

Let's revive this thread in honor of the 11th anniversary of the story publication on October 13!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2008, 09:01:44 pm »
I was talking to my friend Vermont Sunset yesterday who was finishing up reading an Annie Proulx novel. In all the AP works he's read, he has never come across a story such as Brokeback Mountain. Anybody else know of one? Why would such a bleak writer suddenly write such a story, do you think?

In the most recent interview with AP done by the BBC, she stated that The Shipping News had a happy ending of sorts...if happiness could be described as an absence of pain.

I still think that Annie Proulx delved into the realm of romance in writing Brokeback Mountain. But I don't mean that in terms of a bodice ripper type Gothic novel. I see the story as being an enhancement on the romance of the West. Your thoughts?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2008, 11:30:33 pm »
Another interesting anecdote. In the version of the story published in The New Yorker, Ennis asks Jack, "You do it with other guys, Jack?" And Jack says, "Shit no." But in the book version, AP changed it to "You do it with other guys? Jack?" THe change in punctuation shows that Jack didn't answer, at least not right away, thus communicating that he had been riding other bulls, not rolling his own.

This reminds me about the mystery of the placement of commas in Hamlet, since we do not know whether Shakespere wrote, "To be or not to be, that is the question" or "To be or not, to be, that is the question" which can be interpreted a different way.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2008, 11:46:23 pm »
Just randomly open the story to any page and start reading any sentence. You'll find words that will fascinate and bedevil you for days...for instance, I just noticed this passage:

"He didn't ask if Ennis had a watch but took a cheap round ticker on a braided cord from a box on a high shelf, wound and set it, tossed it to him as if he weren't worth the reach. 'Tomorrow mornin we'll truck you up the jump-off.' Pair of deuces going nowhere."

It is so poignant that Aguirre concludes this ceremony with the giving of a heart to Ennis. For that is what it is, a cheap round ticker on a braided cord. From a high shelf, no less. And another thing that strikes me is the italization of the words tomorrow mornin. Just like Jack's last words, 'See you in the morning.' Aguirre calls Jack and Ennis a pair a deuces, two twos, accentuating the duality that permeates this story.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2008, 12:01:04 am »
To understand this scene better and read more about the fascinating character of Aguirre, go here!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3130.0/all.html

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2008, 08:32:09 am »
Just randomly open the story to any page and start reading any sentence. You'll find words that will fascinate and bedevil you for days...for instance, I just noticed this passage:

"He didn't ask if Ennis had a watch but took a cheap round ticker on a braided cord from a box on a high shelf, wound and set it, tossed it to him as if he weren't worth the reach. 'Tomorrow mornin we'll truck you up the jump-off.' Pair of deuces going nowhere."

It is so poignant that Aguirre concludes this ceremony with the giving of a heart to Ennis. For that is what it is, a cheap round ticker on a braided cord. From a high shelf, no less. And another thing that strikes me is the italization of the words tomorrow mornin. Just like Jack's last words, 'See you in the morning.' Aguirre calls Jack and Ennis a pair a deuces, two twos, accentuating the duality that permeates this story.

I always wondered what they did thatt night before meeting in the morning. Where did they stay? Ennis certainly couldn't afford a hotel and he didn't have a vehicle to sleep in. How far was the jump off spot from town? Did he walk alnight or catch a ride with Jack? Maybe these have been discussed but I never saw it addressed.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2008, 09:14:10 am »
The story gives not a hint. I believe an outtake exists from the movie showing Jack sleeping in his truck, with Ennis in the passenger seat, awake and looking uncomfortable. Probably Ennis would have been just fine stretched out in the grass beside Aguirre's trailer, with his jacket rolled up under his head. It's called bivouacking.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2008, 09:48:57 am »
I always wondered what they did thatt night before meeting in the morning. Where did they stay? Ennis certainly couldn't afford a hotel and he didn't have a vehicle to sleep in. How far was the jump off spot from town? Did he walk alnight or catch a ride with Jack? Maybe these have been discussed but I never saw it addressed.

For Story!Ennis: he did have his own car where he probably slept in.

Movie!Ennis: I've heard about those outtakes and it makes sense to me that Jack would share his truck with Ennis for that night (and that Ennis would look uncomfortable).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2008, 02:28:18 pm »
Random sentence for today. The last Jack and Ennis ever knew of each other:

"Jack heard his spurs tremble as he mounted, the words 'See you tomorrow,' and the horse's shuddering snort, grind of hoof on stone.

For some reason, I thought the last words were "See you in the morning." Was that the way it was in the movie?

I love the references to metal (spurs), air (horse's snorting), bone (hoof) and earth (stone) in this short passage. The presence of water is noticably absent.