Author Topic: "Friends, this post is long over due"  (Read 2271 times)

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
"Friends, this post is long over due"
« on: February 15, 2007, 01:38:40 am »
Just a few thoughts on the tag line of the movie that is Brokeback Mountain.

"Love is a force of nature"

These simple words, convey a deep and profound meaning to all of us who have taken the time to really, listen to what this film is saying.

Love is one of the most basic of all human emotions.  It is a powerful force, and it is truly, natural.

Our first experience of this powerful force, is of course within the family circle.  It is expressed within the family by how we relate to one another, and co-operate to make the family unit a warm, loving, and true refuge from this world's demands and  the stresses of daily life.

Love can be expressed to others, as well, and can result in having, truly deep and long-lasting friendships.
It isn't so much the "big" things that friends do for one another, but rather, the "little" things such as sending a postcard, letter, or calling, or visiting someone we haven't seen for quite a while.

Love, like all other forces of nature can also be devestating.  It can be when a friendship, or other relationship such as a marriage, breaks down, and the resulting loss causes us so much pain. Also, we experience pain, when love is denied, especially by an unloving, uncaring, demanding, and ill-informed "society", as was experienced by Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist. Yes, as the song says: "Love Hurts".

Of course, this powerful force of nature can be expressed in a physical way.  Usually this comes mostly as a result of the deepening emotional, and metaphysical bond between two people, whether it be in a "gay" or a "straight" relationship.

This force runs on a two-way street.  Love is a force that is reciprocal in its very essence and nature.
Love recieved, essentially requires that love be given, and to the degree that each person is willing and able to.

One thing that can be learned about love from this profound film, is how it can mold the lives of two individuals.  The characters of Ennis and Jack, both essentially lonely men, were able to meet, and develop a true emotional bond which progressed to the physical connection that they shared.  Ultimately, their relationship deepened, and they became each other's "soul mate".  We learn, also, how love can hurt, due to the effects of internal fear, especially in Ennis's case. Then in how the longing for a "sweet life" together, which went unfulfilled was the reason  behind  some of Jack's unfortunate decisions.  Neither Ennis, nor Jack were perfect, but they did, above all truly love one another.  Ennis learned how to love, from Jack, and this changed his "world view " so to speak, as is evidenced by his deciding to forego his opportunity for work, in order to attend Alma Jr.'s wedding.  No more "missed" opportunities of showing love for those that he cared about.  Ennis Del Mar, was truly affected in a positve way by this powerful force of nature.

Happily, Ennis and Jack were able to experience albeit, too briefly, the ecstasy of this truly powerful "Force of Nature", as they shared that idyllic summer up on Brokeback Mountain, "back in '63".

Yes, love truly IS a force of nature, which can eventually "conquer all", if we allow this force to flow in our own lives.  By doing this, we will strive to make  our life decisions, based on its pervasive influence.

This is, my way of inadequately explaining, why this powerful, profound, story/film means so much to me.

THE WINGS
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:00:01 am by THE WINGS »

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: "Friends, this post is long over due"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 01:56:17 am »
What a thoughtful explanation of BBM!  On the contrary, it is hardly "inadequate" as I think you expressed yourself very well.  I think I share your interpretation of BBM but, unlike you, I haven't been able to put it into words -- yet.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Fran

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 06:09:57 pm »
Thank you for your beautiful essay, Wings! Ya got those ole Brokeback tears flowing from me again--and it's been a while since that happened. Yep, this film is profound and life-changing, to a degree unmatched by any other movie I know...and we still struggle for the words to convey what is ultimately, I believe, a spiritual phenomenon.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 11:44:11 am »
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I hope it is just the first of many!

"chewing gum and duct tape"