Author Topic: Importance of the Sheep  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Importance of the Sheep
« on: February 22, 2007, 12:51:01 am »
As was suggested to me, I am starting this thread on the sheep.

This is the link to the picture that I wrote about.  It is from the sequence between TS1 and TS2 and you can clearly see the two tall sheep facing the left, while the rest are facing the right. In the film the two sheep facing the left are still, and the rest are moving to the right.

I do believe that this was intentional to represent Jack and Ennis, at that point in time, deciding to go against their society's conventions.

I could not post the picture because it is too large, but here is the link.

http://stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=171&pos=302

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Importance of the Sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:45:24 am »
Those are two of the tallest sheep I've ever seen.  If Joe's sheep had a basketball team, they'd be the centers, no doubt about it.   :)

Seriously, Marl, how very observant of you.  I like your theory.  Those two sheep do stand out.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:08:08 am »
This is a really nice observation, Marl, and I like your interpretation of Jack and Ennis going against convention.  Thanks for posting about it.  I've never noticed the two tall sheep - and I noticed the 'peeing' sheep second viewing!  There are other sheep grazing left, but the height difference certainly do make those two stand out.  Something to look for Sunday night.
 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 05:58:16 pm »
I like the shots of the sheep that flow "like dirty water" up the mountain. I don't know what it means zactly, but it seems significant! Here's a view of the sheep with water in the background, and Ennis in between:

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 10:38:44 pm »
I also think the dead sheep after their first night in the tent was significant too.
As sson as Ennis recounted the story of earl I thought back to that sheep and knew that's what Ennis must've been thinking about that morning.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 11:53:25 pm »
r

For so many animals that seemingly were just set dressing.  There are so many observations that can be made.  The sheep that Jack drags across to the other flock, seems to be going against the displacement
as Jack tries to make him leave the regular place he had found for himself..But against Jacks stubborn pulls, and demands, it just gives up and lets itself be taken..  That was kind of a metaphore for Jack and Ennis.
Jack was determined, and Ennis finally acquiesced...            JMO                         janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 09:25:43 am »
r

For so many animals that seemingly were just set dressing.  There are so many observations that can be made.  The sheep that Jack drags across to the other flock, seems to be going against the displacement
as Jack tries to make him leave the regular place he had found for himself..But against Jacks stubborn pulls, and demands, it just gives up and lets itself be taken..  That was kind of a metaphore for Jack and Ennis.
Jack was determined, and Ennis finally acquiesced...            JMO                         janice

LOL, Janice, how did Ang get the sheep to do that!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"