Author Topic: Mandatory Viewing  (Read 27389 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Mandatory Viewing
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2006, 04:10:03 pm »

p.s.  This is a great discussion, but are we hijacking the initial thread for "Mandatory Viewing"?  I would recommend moving the discussion elsewhere, but I know the moment we move, the momentum will die.

And for precisely that reason, let's not move. All the interesting threads eventually do go sort of OT, in that they wind around, talk about this or that, change, morph...hmm, in real life, I think it might be called a conversation.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 04:40:32 pm by lnicoll »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2006, 04:16:46 pm »
As the initiator of this thread, I would just like to submit that I see no reason to move it.  I don't feel that my thread has been hijacked at all - we are discussing films that we think should be mandatory viewing - some (I, for one) think MMs films should be part of that list, some do not.  And I agree - the discussion is way too interesting to kill the momentum now by moving it, so I respectfully submit to the Mods that they please do not.

Carry on!

(P.S. It most likely goes without saying, but I agree 100% with everything RT has posted here.  Everyone is bringing up thought-provoking points, though.)
No more beans!

rtprod

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2006, 04:24:09 pm »
It most likely goes without saying, but I agree 100% with everything RT has posted here.

Barb,

You know,  you and I really should get together sometime....   ;D

rt

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2006, 04:55:03 pm »
It most likely goes without saying, but I agree 100% with everything RT has posted here.

Barb,

You know,  you and I really should get together sometime....   ;D

Absolutely.  I'll bring the Old Rose if you bring the BetterMost and spuds.  Will you be peeling, or shall I? 
No more beans!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2006, 04:57:36 pm »

Hell I'll peel while you BOTH get naked! lol ;D

I think everybody has raised thought-provoking discussion. I don't really think our media here in Oz want us Aussies to like George Bush. Confusing really, because our current prime minister can't kiss his a** enough.
Chut up!

rtprod

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2006, 05:08:30 pm »
I'll peel, I'm shy...   :-\

rt

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2006, 05:12:08 pm »
I'll peel, I'm shy...   :-\

rt

HA! If you're shy, I'm catatonic!
LOL
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2006, 05:39:24 pm »
Mandatory viewing is the new swooning!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2006, 05:45:42 pm »
Mandatory viewing is the new swooning!

Ditto,  I am glad that I finally can follow it this time.  ;D

Carry on... 

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2006, 05:58:03 pm »
Okay... I just read through the thread and I thought I'd add a few things.

Firstly, Sheyne, I also liked Dead Poet's Society. A bit cheasy at times, but thoughtful and touching most of the time.

And, I have to agree with RT and Sheyne (as well as Leslie, Barb, Juan and Julie too I believe) regarding Michael M. I really liked both Bowling and F-911. Yes, he's dramatic and sometimes over the top, but isn't that the point? He clearly feels strongly about both topics and thus explores them passionately in both movies. If the movies had just been him being calm and quiet, sitting on his couch discussing his POV unenthusiastically into the camera, would that have been better? Certainly not, in my opinion. And he doesn't just put his own thoughts, emotions and reactions into the films, he also includes statistics, actual footage..etc. I don't think they or he make liberals look bad - I think they make them look passionate and driven. BTW, your posts are so insightful, RT, I love them. It's certainly not hard to tell you're a writer.

Lastly, you have all brought up some great films. One that I think people should see: The Sea Inside (Mar adentro): The real-life story of Spaniard Ramon Sampedro, who fought a 30 year campaign in favor of euthanasia and his own right to die. Beautifully done, just beautiful. And so moving.