Author Topic: Didn't any boy cry? This girl certainly did...  (Read 21324 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Didn't any boy cry? This girl certainly did...
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 06:26:39 pm »
Okay, I'm going to lead this even further off-topic. The rates for murder and other violent crimes have fallen precipitously in the U.S. since 1990. Why? As shown in the book Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt, children who would have become 16 years old in 1990 did not...because of the passage of Roe vs. Wade, the abortion ruling. It's a very mixed up world isn't it?

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Scott6373

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 06:35:45 pm »
This is a very interesting conversation.  If I may, let me put in my .25 cents.  .

Back in my early twenties, after my first real long term relationship had ended, I had a tough time getting back into the whole social scene, but eventually I did.  One night, after having a relatively enjoybale night with friends a bar in Boston (I live about 30 minutes north, so I drove into town), I left at closing time...yes alone...get your minds outta the gutter, and started to cross the public gardens, because my car was parked on the other side.  Half way across, a group of drunk men (I won't say straight because I don't to insult straight people by calling them that), started to follow me.

Eventually they cornered me in a dark part of the park.  I was beaten and raped and left there.  Here's my question.  If I had the ability, after they had finished with me, to get up and kill each one...would that not be capitol punishment?  I am no longer defending myself, I am exacting revenge, but...am I entitled?

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 06:35:58 pm »
But Lee, all in all, the population continued to grow, didn't it? Is 16 the average age of the murderers in the US??

Those "men" in "Boys don't cry" were at least 30...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 06:40:07 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 06:45:18 pm »
This is a very interesting conversation.  If I may, let me put in my .25 cents.  .

Back in my early twenties, after my first real long term relationship had ended, I had a tough time getting back into the whole social scene, but eventually I did.  One night, after having a relatively enjoybale night with friends a bar in Boston (I live about 30 minutes north, so I drove into town), I left at closing time...yes alone...get your minds outta the gutter, and started to cross the public gardens, because my car was parked on the other side.  Half way across, a group of drunk men (I won't say straight because I don't to insult straight people by calling them that), started to follow me.

Eventually they cornered me in a dark part of the park.  I was beaten and raped and left there.  Here's my question.  If I had the ability, after they had finished with me, to get up and kill each one...would that not be capitol punishment?  I am no longer defending myself, I am exacting revenge, but...am I entitled?

Scott, oh {{{Scott}}}...
I sent my reply before I'd seen yours! That would be personal revenge, not capital punishment, and honestly I couldn't blame you for doing those guys in.
I have heard that the best way of getting over such horrors is forgiveness, as hatred or anger only makes your life hell longer. I don't know. I think I would be capable of killing in such a case, so I am glad that such a thing as laws and courts and judges exist, even with all their shortcomings.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 06:50:47 pm »
Scott, Friend, I am so sorry for what you went thru. I think the choice of how you would proceed is yours. Exacting revenge is a personal matter and vastly different than the institution of Capitol Punishment, in which the government gets to decide who lives and who dies. I have a problem with the government having that power.

Your exacting revenge is an entitlement, and with it comes responsibilities you would have to face. A catch 22 if there ever was one. One that leaves me feeling very sad.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Scott6373

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 06:53:49 pm »
So...if these men were caught and and tried, and convicted, and were sentanced to die..that's different than my doing it myself?   I'm not sure I agree.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 06:54:29 pm »

And PLEASE could anyone give me the reference of the song in that film that says "the bluest eyes in Texas"? I love it...

It's called The Bluest Eyes in Texas, and it was performed by Nina Persson and Nathan Larson.  The movie does have a soundtrack.

Here are the lyrics:

The lonesome Texas sun was setting slow
In the rear view mirror I watch it glow
I can still see the wind and her golden hair
I closed my eyes for a moment I'm still there

Chorus:
The bluest eyes in Texas are haunting me tonight
Like the stars that fill the midnight sky
Her memory fills my mind
Where did I go wrong,
Did I wait too long or can I make it right
The bluest eyes in Texas are haunting me to night

Another town another hotel room
Another dream that ended way too soon
Left me lonely Waiting for the dawn
Searching for the strength to carry on

Chorus

For every heart you break you pay the price
I can't forget the tears in her blue eyes

Chorus

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 07:13:49 pm »
So...if these men were caught and and tried, and convicted, and were sentanced to die..that's different than my doing it myself?   I'm not sure I agree.

Yeah, I couldn't ask that much, I think from your stand point it would be justice served, as rightly so. What bothers me about Capitol Punishment is the finality of it, how it is abused both past and present. Once an innocent person is put to death, you can't bring them back. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 07:22:41 pm »
How horrible for you, Scott! This makes me want to learn whatever ancient martial art my avatar is practicing over there on on the left. Then, I could leap down and...I wouldn't kill those men...but I would make sure they would never have children and procreate ever again!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 07:26:46 pm »

I read about this in your fanfic. Never in my life I imagined this actually happened to you. I'm against capital punishment but then again I don't know how I'd feel if something like this would happen to me or anyone I love.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.