Author Topic: my generation's casablanca  (Read 4301 times)

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
my generation's casablanca
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:54:44 pm »
Howdy!  :D

I know I make very infrequent visits 'round here... but I had something I wanted to share.

Every now and again, I'll update this teacher that I had in high school on how I'm doing.  She was the reason I passed my Algebra II course.  She spent a lot of time with me during my senior year helping me to do well in it.  Sadly, though, we are on the opposite ends of the political spectrum.  She's extremely conservative and against gay marriage.  But since I haven't spoken to her in 18 months, I briefly referenced by having gotten in touch with a Pierre Tremblay.  She was impressed that I contacted someone in the film industry (she's aware of my love for film) but reminded me that it wasn't really something she would see.

Though I probably shouldn't have... I responded... and this is what I said...

In regards to Brokeback Mountain, I do feel obligated to squelch the myths!  I must admit that I'm disappointed that you've opted not to see it.  Sadly, I think it had a lot of phrases and "imagery" attached to it that would lead to false impressions of what the film entailed.

I think the one thing that people thought of when they heard of the film was what is, in actuality, a very miniscule scene.  It's literally less than thirty seconds long, and it's in the spirit of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, where you don't see anything -- it's pretty much implied.  As a matter of fact, the twenty-some second scene in question is almost entirely pitch black and relies solely on its audio track.  (The film is almost void of nudity; there's maybe two minutes total, and almost all of the two minutes is either non-sexual -- read: bathing -- or female nudity.)  As for the rest of the film, the entire story revolves around the fact that the boys aren't together.  The primary theme is actually what happens when you're trying to be something you're not.  What people think the film is... it is far from it... logically speaking, due to the time and place of the setting (1960's Wyoming, c'mon)... it can't be that.

Religion and politics aside, however, I must also reinforce the notion that it only garnered the acclaim due to its subject matter is purely absurd.  It's absolutely beautifully filmed and is done exquisitely, and had it not been, it would have been another unheard of indie film.  Ang Lee isn't some run-of-the-mill filmmaker.  Just five years prior, he had done the critically acclaimed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and five years prior to that, the critically acclaimed adaptation of Sense & Sensibility.

I guess what I'm saying is:  you can't judge a book by its cover, eh?  I doubt I've in any way persuaded your interest in seeing it... despite how much I would like to... but perhaps it'd make me feel better to know that you aren't seeing it for what it is, as opposed to not seeing it for what it isn't (which is the overused generalization of "the gay cowboy movie").  I suppose that maybe the generalization came about from the people who couldn't as easily overlook that aspect.

But if you should happen to reconsider, you're always welcome to borrow one of my copies!  I must conclude, though, that it's a real shame that people would feel compelled to distance themselves from my generation's Casablanca.

Always,
David

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: my generation's casablanca
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 04:46:42 pm »
 :) that was a great synopsis of the movie and the related culture surrounding it, David - did you hear back from her? ???
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 07:20:55 pm »
Hey David,

Good to see you back. What did she respond?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 07:28:20 pm »
I love that you called it my generation's Casablanca! I don't doubt that the movie will be looked on that way in future years.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 07:39:40 pm »
That is a great letter to her. I hope she will see it. I have thought of just asking people as I get to know them if they ever saw Brokeback Mountain. It would help me know better what page we are on.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:11:56 pm »
I liked your synopsis David, and it made me think how really people can reconsider things after having seen the content of the box.
Your letter brought me back to where it all started for me, that Saturday evening in September of 2005, when having dinner at my neighbours, our landlady was quite surprised and shocked to see the Golden Lion award going to "that gay cowboy movie".
Now that she has seen BBM - in February this year it was aired almost daily on Sky TV here in Italy - she has told me how much she has appreciated this beautiful and delicate story, and only had words of praise for it.
Good to know that BBM still has this phenomenal effect on people.

By the way, as Front-Ranger would have said "..where the hell you been Luigival?". As usual, here and there, is my reply, making myself heard every few ...ing weeks/months. Sorry, I know it ain't an excuse, but life's becoming more and more hectic for me these days...

...and not knowing when I'll be able to check these pages again, Happy Easter - or, as we say in Italy, Buona Pasqua - to all of you.

Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 04:20:20 pm »
Great to see you luigival! I'm getting used to your absences now that I know you will not forget us!! If I miss you, I will just go put on my Italian jeans, LOL! I may have to plan an Italian vacation, now that I know Brokeback Mountain airs every day there!! I would love to hear Ennis and Jack speaking Italian! I have an Italian friend that works with me, and I brought in the song lyrics for an Il Divo song and made him translate the words, and then say the lyrics in Italian over and over!! Now, he sort of is avoiding me!! I wonder why!

Buona Pasqua to you too! Thank God it's spring!!

Offline luigival

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:28:48 pm »
Ciao Front! A presto...spero. And don't try to kill your Italian friend with the Italian text!
Luigi

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 05:12:53 pm »
Hi, Luigi! I'm watching the Gyro d'Italia and your beautiful island of Sardinia is featured! I wonder are you there watching the race?

My men thought this would be a special Mother's Day treat for me to watch the Gyro!!  ::)

Is it really true that the racers have to swim to the mainland with the bikes on their backs? That's what my husband and son told me!!

Offline luigival

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 02:56:40 am »
Of course Front-Ranger, your men are right... Racers have to swim their way back to the mainland, that's part of the fun (for the onlookers)!
Glad you watched the Giro d'Italia and its Sardinian part, and sorry for me not having travelled to Bettermost before, in order to reply in a more timely way, but you know, I always wander here and there before getting  back to the places where my soul belongs...
Very busy these times, with everyday's life almost having me forgetting - but just almost! - the lessons of BBM...
By the way the movie is still being featured in HD (High Definition) on Sky TV here in Italy, and will run once more next Tuesday, just after Casanova. For Heath's fan, that would be a double treat.
Ciao and looking to see you in Sardinia!
Luigi