Author Topic: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie  (Read 163527 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2008, 08:10:54 pm »
Thanks forsythia!

Good observation, you did!

And:

tranquillizer,
Yes, they did with special permission just to make it sleep!!

It seems to me that is what I read about it!

So, that meat that Ennis and Jack on the line and what they did eat was NOT elk?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2008, 12:40:07 pm »
hehe, no you didn't shock me...after all, I did play the Clear Slick in the Performance Thread! I was "at a loss" because you asked, "any thoughts" and I didn't have any at first! But now I have one...I remember where the soup was discussed before on imdb and we have preserved the discussion here. I will have to review this and think about it some more because I still don't think we have gotten to the bottom (sorry!) of this discussion! Yes, that is quite plausible, plex. Jack musta had SOMEBODY with him or checking on him, it's clear Aguirre didn't think enuff of his capabilities to leave him alone with 1,000 sheep for an entire summer! And things did get intense at least at one point because there was 25% loss that summer, lightning struck, etc. The Basque woulda known all about that but he would not have wanted to pass it along to Ennis, so he did either subconsciously or in metaphor. Good points!

one of the things which has always puzzled me, is why did Aguirre rehire Jack? He clearly wasn't satisfied with him. Maybe he couldn't get anyone else to do the job?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2008, 07:38:48 pm »
Wow, brokeplex, you bring up something!

one of the things which has always puzzled me, is why did Aguirre rehire Jack? He clearly wasn't satisfied with him. Maybe he couldn't get anyone else to do the job? 

That always puzzles me too!

Then Aguirre would NOT have hired Jack a second time!! So, Aguirred had a bit of a crush on Jack the first time and the second time?? I have that feeling seeing how Aguirre acted towards Jack especially watching Jack via the binoculars!! Could that be it?

Hugs!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2008, 01:35:50 am »

My favorite explanation is that she emphasizes Ennis' paranoia. Nobody is paying much attention to this unusually tattooed woman (never mind that in a real life small-town tavern, even today, she'd probably draw some glances). And if they aren't concerned about her, maybe Ennis is overreacting to his fear that people on the pavement "know" or even give a damn what he's up to. After all, nine out of 10 of them don't even know where he lives!

Other theories: 1) Like Ennis, metaphorically, she is wearing a costume or "disguise." 23) Her presence indicates it's kind of a dive bar. 3) She shows that times are a-changing, and people are becoming more accepting of differences.

This is how I see it.  It is in the same vein as what is on Jack's truck radio as he pulls up at Ennis's place post-divorce, something about a Little Richard concert that had just happened and how much the crowd had loved it.  And that radio broadcast was in contrast to the one that was playing much earlier, when Ennis is packing to go see Jack, the time Alma talks about the opening at the power company.  In that scene, the dj is telling an insulting joke about a puny, effeminate man.  So to me, both the tattooed woman and the positive description of the Little Richard concert-goers is a sign that maybe, just maybe, Ennis could have had a life with Jack, if he'd mustered the courage.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2013, 01:14:51 pm »
bump!