Author Topic: Friend's parents (mother) hated movie because there wasn't romance.  (Read 19642 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Friend's parents (mother) hated movie because there wasn't romance.
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2006, 12:01:47 am »
What's a lend? It's fun getting the chance to learn all these Aussieisms.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2006, 01:04:23 pm »
After reading al this pleasantness, I don't think my English is up to this thread, but I'll have a go anyway ;)
As far as the romance thing goes, I do regret that there wasn't more intimacy during the final years of their affair. There's a scene in the book where Jack brakes the seal on a bottle of whiskey, takes a long, hot swallow and says 'That's one a the two things I need right now'. I would have loved to hear him say that.
However, it was Ang Lee's intention to let the viewer be as frustrated as Jack and Ennis were themselves, and, boy did that work! I was frustrated, angry, upset and very very sad.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2006, 01:40:18 pm »
After reading al this pleasantness, I don't think my English is up to this thread, but I'll have a go anyway ;)
As far as the romance thing goes, I do regret that there wasn't more intimacy during the final years of their affair. There's a scene in the book where Jack brakes the seal on a bottle of whiskey, takes a long, hot swallow and says 'That's one a the two things I need right now'. I would have loved to hear him say that.
However, it was Ang Lee's intention to let the viewer be as frustrated as Jack and Ennis were themselves, and, boy did that work! I was frustrated, angry, upset and very very sad.

Somehow I suspect that wasn't the problem for the friend's mother -- the one in the title of the thread -- who complained about lack of romance. But I totally agree with you, belbbmfan. That's one thing I'm sorry they changed in going from story to screen -- in the story, Annie makes it clear their sex life is great all the way up to the end. Which may well be the case in the movie, too, but where's our share?

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2006, 08:33:47 pm »
latjoreme,

"having a lend" is an old Australian and English expression meaning "are you taking the piss?", or "are you joking?", or alternatively, you can use it in the same way as "just kidding", by saying "just having a lend of you".  interesting to note that it's not in common use today, at least by younger folk.  it's very much a 'granddad' type of expression, and what would have been considered 'working class' vernacular, tho it's oddly popular with a subset of the 35-60 demographic.  we use it at my house all the time, tho we have friends who look at us like this  ::) when we say it.

belbbmfan,

I remember the line from the book you mention.  I recall it had a deliciously sexy 'tone' to it.  indeed it would have been lovely to see it said on screen, but no matter how much the base me would have loved more 'action', I'm forever grateful that Ang exercised the restraint he did.  the longing was as much ours as theirs, and for me at least, served to amplify the 'romance' dramatically.  and BTW, your English is spot on  :).

hmmm ..... I have a 'day off' today.  think I might throw the boys into the machine and sit still for 134 minutes.

w

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2006, 05:20:47 am »
"having a lend" is an old Australian and English expression meaning "are you taking the piss?", or "are you joking?", or alternatively, you can use it in the same way as "just kidding", by saying "just having a lend of you".  interesting to note that it's not in common use today, at least by younger folk.  it's very much a 'granddad' type of expression, and what would have been considered 'working class' vernacular, tho it's oddly popular with a subset of the 35-60 demographic.  we use it at my house all the time, tho we have friends who look at us like this  ::) when we say it.

Ok, so let's see if I got this straight.  I am either being compared to, or flat out being called: old, a 'granddad', and 'working class'.  Well all I can say to that is Strewth, Crikey, and Blimey Charlie!

Hmmmm, this is such a great line belbbmfan, I so agree with this.  I think it's my favourite line that didn't make it into the film.  I don't mind that the others were removed/changed, it's understandable given the direction, but this one makes me feel... ooh I don't know... naughty!  Makes me think about that second thing! ;)
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2006, 12:54:56 pm »
"having a lend" is an old Australian and English expression meaning "are you taking the piss?", or "are you joking?"

Thanks for the explanation, Wolf. But it brings up a whole new question. Do you guys say "are you taking the piss?" to mean "are you joking?" That's a new one for me, too.

Well all I can say to that is Strewth

And Chris, LOL, you said "strewth" once before and I wondered if it was a misprint or a real word or what. I was  going to ask you about it at the time and then thought better of it, recalling my cluelessness about "check your chubby" or whatever it was, a phrase I guess I should have known.

Anyway, as far as Australian idioms go, sorry to be so ignorant, you guys, but it's fun learnin em.

Now back to topic. I sure wish Ang had given us some more evidence of how "the brilliant charge of their infrequent couplings" never changed through the years. I know, I know, he's trying to make us feel their pain. But the way it comes out it almost suggests just the opposite. From the reunion on, we only see them even so much as touching each other in that one final two-second tent scene, and then they're clothed and sleeping.

:-\                        >:(                         :'(                         :(

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2006, 01:15:12 pm »
exactly latjoreme.
I'm thinking about one of their last fishing trips where they're riding the horses through the river. Jack just looked so sad, tired, as he did in the Final Lake Scene. Over on IMDB, there have been fierce discussions about the fact that at the end, Jack was ready to quit Ennis (hence his 'I did once'). I found that an unbearable thought! As Annie said 'You can't have Jack without Ennis'. Damn!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2006, 10:58:02 pm »
latjoreme, sorry, yes, 'are you taking the piss' is the same as 'are you joking'.  I'll let Chris have a lend of you regarding 'strewth'  ;).  I take it you're available for exhanges of idiom, in the meantime.  I have some questions brewing!

Chris, mate, if you're a granddad then I'm a grandma.  working class indeed ...... snicker snicker snort snort.  and by the way, you forgot 'by jingoes'.

looks like we're all agreed that The Second Thing line is a corker.  might give it a test drive and see if it has the same naughty when said by a 42 yr old housefrau, to her tired hubby, right in the middle of The Soccer - exchanging the whiskey-straight-from-the-bottle for sleepytime-tea-in-a-flora-mug.  Saucy!.

W

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2006, 09:27:02 am »
I'm thinking about one of their last fishing trips where they're riding the horses through the river. Jack just looked so sad, tired, as he did in the Final Lake Scene. Over on IMDB, there have been fierce discussions about the fact that at the end, Jack was ready to quit Ennis (hence his 'I did once'). I found that an unbearable thought! As Annie said 'You can't have Jack without Ennis'. Damn!

I agree belbbmfan, and I go so far to say that in spit of the Randall thing, Jack would never have quit Ennis.  The argument was the turning point but we never get to see how their relationship might have panned out if Jack hadn't died.  One thing we do know from the short story is that they torqued back the way they were after Ennis breaks down ("nothing resolved" and all that).  I don't think "I did once" confirms anything.  You're certainly right about how sad Jack looks when riding horses, Ennis doesn't look much happier, but then again he never really does!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2006, 09:46:34 am »
Ennis doesn't look much happier, but then again he never really does!

I'm sorry to keep disputing you, Chris, but yes he does! He almost always looks happy around Jack (and vise versa), which is why this sequence is so disturbing. Otherwise, much of the time on Brokeback, at the reunion, in the scene where he's getting out of the truck at their campsite and Jack's already there. Even in the post-divorce scene, his eyes light up when Jack appears, though of course he looks a lot less happy by the end of the scene.