Author Topic: Ennis and Jake are homosexuals, bi-sexuals or??  (Read 28300 times)

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Ennis and Jake are homosexuals, bi-sexuals or??
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 10:29:03 am »
For what ever reason the 100% "Gay" community has a hard time accepting there are individuals that are not exclusive to either sexual orientation, I see it all the time.  Its a shame that some people can not accept this fact.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 10:35:01 am »
NOBODY is 100%, nobody.

But that does not make gay men who sleep/have slept with women bi, anymore then it makes ME gay.

It's a shame they can't face that fact, but they don't.

I went to see Brokeback last year with a few forum people, one of whom was floored when I said wait a minute, I'm not gay and never have been. i'm still not gay. I said that when he said 'Now that you are gay, out of the closet.....'

I'd been open---within limits, I'm not stupid here!--since I was a teenager. You knew who was ok and who would make problems.....

And I never will be, it's not what i am. Nor am i straight. having so many people take away one's identity because one can't fit into their preconceptions is a very frustrating thing.

sleeping with a woman does not make a gay man into a bisexual. It makes him a gay man who is functionally bisexual and that's ALL. there is no way the majority of those guys are bisexual, and they will say as much once their 'out' process is done!
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 10:43:14 am »
NOBODY is 100%, nobody.

But that does not make gay men who sleep/have slept with women bi, anymore then it makes ME gay.

It's a shame they can't face that fact, but they don't.

I went to see Brokeback last year with a few forum people, one of whom was floored when I said wait a minute, I'm not gay and never have been. i'm still not gay. I said that when he said 'Now that you are gay, out of the closet.....'

I'd been open---within limits, I'm not stupid here!--since I was a teenager. You knew who was ok and who would make problems.....

And I never will be, it's not what i am. Nor am i straight. having so many people take away one's identity because one can't fit into their preconceptions is a very frustrating thing.

sleeping with a woman does not make a gay man into a bisexual. It makes him a gay man who is functionally bisexual and that's ALL. there is no way the majority of those guys are bisexual, and they will say as much once their 'out' process is done!
Being able to sleep with both Men & Women does make you Bi just accept it please.   ;)  "Being Able" is KEY here. True Homosexuals are repulsed at the mere thought of having hetero sex. Bi's are not.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 10:49:17 am by RossInIllinois »

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2007, 11:27:31 am »
Being able to sleep with both Men & Women does make you Bi just accept it please.   ;)  "Being Able" is KEY here. True Homosexuals are repulsed at the mere thought of having hetero sex. Bi's are not.

Ummm no it doesn't. Exactly what we bang our heads on the wall about. Furthermore, for someone who doesn't have a clue to say "just accept it please" is the absolute height of blind arrogance. I mean it: I know very well who and what I am, I've know it since I was 13[ which did absolutely nothing to lessen thebafflement]

i have to ask this...maybe I shouldn't but really, have to after that remark I have to. It's the sort of remark made by  a tenured academic who is completely cut off from reality, which just can't be: are you some sort of sociologist or sexologist or something? Or  do you know what everyone is simply 'because'?? For your statement above is just so dogmatic, so absolute, so closed minded and all that I can't figure out who made someone God. It sounds like the political philosophy of the Bush Family: WE know what's best for you, just accept it.

I'm wondering what my friend who was married, fathered a son, slowly knew he 'was wrong, something was radically wrong' would make of what you keep saying. There is no way he would describe himself as anything but gay, queer, a homosexual. NEVER would he call himself bi and never would he date a woman again. If FORCED he could have sex with a woman, which would mean he was functionally bi. But genuinelly bisexual?? nope. No way. Define your terms with more accuracy, please. Because as stands they are simply out of it.

Please accept that.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2007, 12:29:10 pm »
Ummm no it doesn't. Exactly what we bang our heads on the wall about. Furthermore, for someone who doesn't have a clue to say "just accept it please" is the absolute height of blind arrogance. I mean it: I know very well who and what I am, I've know it since I was 13[ which did absolutely nothing to lessen thebafflement]

i have to ask this...maybe I shouldn't but really, have to after that remark I have to. It's the sort of remark made by  a tenured academic who is completely cut off from reality, which just can't be: are you some sort of sociologist or sexologist or something? Or  do you know what everyone is simply 'because'?? For your statement above is just so dogmatic, so absolute, so closed minded and all that I can't figure out who made someone God. It sounds like the political philosophy of the Bush Family: WE know what's best for you, just accept it.

I'm wondering what my friend who was married, fathered a son, slowly knew he 'was wrong, something was radically wrong' would make of what you keep saying. There is no way he would describe himself as anything but gay, queer, a homosexual. NEVER would he call himself bi and never would he date a woman again. If FORCED he could have sex with a woman, which would mean he was functionally bi. But genuinelly bisexual?? nope. No way. Define your terms with more accuracy, please. Because as stands they are simply out of it.

Please accept that.
No Again you are WRONG. My comments come from myself a Bi- sexual man that is in touch with, and owning his reality to what bisexuality vs homosexuality (Gay) really is.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:33:19 pm by RossInIllinois »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2007, 01:29:44 pm »
I agree with brokebackjack and ednbarby that there are gay men who have sex with women and marry and have a family. Just because they do so does not make them bisexual. There are also gay men who would not even touch a woman much less have sex with her! And it's also the same way with gay women. Brokebackjack, LOL, too much information! Who among us hasn't barfed while having sex, if you haven't you haven't been trying hard enuf!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2007, 02:01:16 pm »
For me its much more black and white. If you sleep with men exclusively you are homosexual (Gay). If you sleep with Women you are Heterosexual. If you are sexually able to have sex with both genders you are bi sexual. (weather or not you choose to admit it). Its a very simple concept to me.

Offline whiteoutofthemoon

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2007, 03:36:05 pm »
Once again, Ednbarby, I disagree.   You have NO indication of what Ennis's tendencies or attractions were prior to meeting Jack, other that he was leading a straight life.   We as the viewer have no idea why Ennis's dad showed him the dead body as a kid; you are making presumptions that were not at all in the book nor the movie.    Ennis did not seem attracted to Alma only AFTER he met Jack, which to me was not so much that he had given up on women entirely, but he had fallen for another person, who happenned to be a man.   How do you know that Ennis wasn't madly in lust with Alma before Brokeback, and had regular intercourse all the time?    Heck, they had two daughters pretty darn quick, which means that he was at least enjoying some intercourse!

So, back to my original question, if Ennis had never met Jack, how would you, or Ennis himself, know that Ennis was gay?     I am not defining being gay or straight by what someone does, remember, I disputed that.   But, if you have someone who is married, has kids, demonstrates no attraction whatsoever that he is attracted to men, never has that suspicion in himself (until he meets his "jack"), then how can you possibly label him as gay?
"They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.  Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the whiteoutofthemoon."

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 03:36:12 pm »
Thanks to you all!!!

You all are interesting!!!

Great to know that!!!

Will be happy to know more,

hugs!!!

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2007, 03:44:59 pm »
Once again, Ednbarby, I disagree.   You have NO indication of what Ennis's tendencies or attractions were prior to meeting Jack, other that he was leading a straight life.   We as the viewer have no idea why Ennis's dad showed him the dead body as a kid; you are making presumptions that were not at all in the book nor the movie.    Ennis did not seem attracted to Alma only AFTER he met Jack, which to me was not so much that he had given up on women entirely, but he had fallen for another person, who happenned to be a man.   How do you know that Ennis wasn't madly in lust with Alma before Brokeback, and had regular intercourse all the time?    Heck, they had two daughters pretty darn quick, which means that he was at least enjoying some intercourse!

So, back to my original question, if Ennis had never met Jack, how would you, or Ennis himself, know that Ennis was gay?     I am not defining being gay or straight by what someone does, remember, I disputed that.   But, if you have someone who is married, has kids, demonstrates no attraction whatsoever that he is attracted to men, never has that suspicion in himself (until he meets his "jack"), then how can you possibly label him as gay?

You can't. hence the bisexual moniker.  ;D