Author Topic: Ennis and Jake are homosexuals, bi-sexuals or??  (Read 28298 times)

Offline fritzkep

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Ennis and Jake are homosexuals, bi-sexuals or??
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2007, 06:25:41 pm »
She really did love him, which made her blind to his true nature, which up to the moment of the reunion was completely beyond her experience. I still fault society for forcing Jack and Ennis apart rather than for having driven Alma and Ennis together.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2007, 06:28:37 pm »
Then why did Ennis wife wait so long??

Denial is a very powerful thing.  Hell, how many wives hang on for years knowing full-well their husbands are carrying on affairs with other women?  There's that, plus an element of shame.  What would she tell people was the reason she left him - that she saw him making out with another man?  She just couldn't wrap her mind around it.  And she had two young children.  It's complicated.  Just like any marriage is, only moreso (or in different ways).
No more beans!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2007, 08:38:45 pm »
Thanks fritzkep!

You say this:
She really did love him, which made her blind to his true nature, which up to the moment of the reunion was completely beyond her experience.

Ennis's wife did see the Ennis and Jack kissing ardently and many times and long... it seems that way in the movie.
Maybe so in Annie's story??

But she did not cut off Ennis right away, nor in a week or two... she stayed with Ennis for how many  months or years?? That is puzzling to me!

Is it not to you?

Hugs!

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2007, 09:59:27 pm »
In the words of NeverEnough, DENIAL!

Besides, she probably thought she could win him back, that this gay episode was just something passing, not realizing how deep Ennis's love for Jack was.

Gotta go to bed now, till later!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2007, 10:28:31 pm »
Thanks fritzkep!

Wow, as you say this concerning Ennis's wife staying that long with Ennis after she saw Ennis and Jack kiss ardently:
that this gay episode was just something passing.

I never thought of that!

Would such a lady or ladies think that??

Pray you had a great dream like Ennis and jack... somehow as you like it!!

Hugs!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2007, 02:14:44 am »
that this gay episode was just something passing.

I never thought of that!

Would such a lady or ladies think that??

Yes, I think she didn't really know what to make of it and hoped it would just go away. Whatever she had probably heard about homosexuality in those days was so unlike what she saw in Ennis that she couldn't really connect the two.

May I ask this? If Ennis (which I felt Ennis wanted) and Jack had married their ladies, and still they had told their wives, all the four could have stayed together, maybe??

Is that possible to-day?? Not too much of a big maybe??

No, I don't think it's possible. Set aside the sexual orientation aspect. Very few married partners are willing to stay with a spouse who is in love with someone else, whatever the genders involved.

In the case of the story line in BBM, Ennis was not in a loveless relationship with Alma in the beginning.

To the extent that you can call it love, it looks pretty platonic to me.

What happens in many marrages is the couple grows apart because of a lack of incompatibility usually on both sides. In the case of BBM Alma turned into a  controlling Woman trying to "mold" Ennis into something she wanted often putting conditions (and him) down in the relationship and this can wreck a marrage in a hurry if its one sided. You can say a similar breakdown happened between Jack and Laureen as well.

If you completely took Jack's and Ennis' feelings for each other out of the equation, the two marriages might not have been ideal. Even if Jack and Ennis were both straight, they might not have been ideal. But the big problem with the marriages as we see them is that Jack and Ennis are not sexually interested in their wives, and they are in love with each other.

As for Alma and Lureen's behavior, Alma I find kind of annoying for her nagging about better apartments and jobs (understandable as that might be, it still grates on my nerves). Lureen I suspect might have been a perfectly fine wife if she'd been married to a (straight) man who loved her.

All this Banter is mostly useless anyway because none of it is really true and just implied through Annie Proulx's imagination   ;) ... Hello People??  this is a fictional story!

Yes, BBM is a fictional story, but it undoubtedly represents a particular version of a real-life situation that has taken place literally millions of times throughout history.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2007, 09:52:01 am »
Thanks ineedcrayons!

Your comment about Ennis's wife staying so long with her husband Ennis after she saw him kiss Jack mutually, you say this:
Yes, I think she didn't really know what to make of it and hoped it would just go away. Whatever she had probably heard about homosexuality in those days was so unlike what she saw in Ennis that she couldn't really connect the two.

I am puzzled by your comment! I thought that a woman is not jealous of another man loving another man (even sexually), many or some or one women/woman said/say even once they find out their husbands do sex with another man or other men!! And, therefore, would stay with their husband! But would not stay likely with their husband if he would find/have sex with another woman!!

I think then and now, that many ladies married to a husband do know about their man having a pal-t-pal relationship with another man, but that does NOT bother her as long as their is no proof like kissing and/or sex in front of her!!

On Oprah, it seemed that her show was to state how husbands go to have sex secretly with another man/ other men, and, therefore, the impression was that the wives would get a divorce afterwards??
As most woman want exclusively a man as a husband!! ??

So once if sex by the husband is known, then the wife will ask for separation? Otherwise, the wife stays with her husband, even if she thinks that he might be a gay man?

Be happy to here fro you and all,

hugs!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2007, 01:04:59 pm »
I am puzzled by your comment! I thought that a woman is not jealous of another man loving another man (even sexually), many or some or one women/woman said/say even once they find out their husbands do sex with another man or other men!! And, therefore, would stay with their husband! But would not stay likely with their husband if he would find/have sex with another woman!!

I think then and now, that many ladies married to a husband do know about their man having a pal-t-pal relationship with another man, but that does NOT bother her as long as their is no proof like kissing and/or sex in front of her!!

Well, of course, every marriage is different. But I would say in general that while wives do not want their husbands to be seeing other women, they'd be likely to object more, not less, to their husband having a sexual relationship with another man. For traditional and/or homophobic wives, this is because they object to homosexuality per se. But also I think many wives, traditional or progressive, would feel that their husband's attraction to men could indicate they are not attracted to women, including the wife, so the relationship is a threat on two fronts (of course, the husband could be bisexual, but if so the wife might not be aware of that).

There probably are some wives out there who would object less to their husband's having a male lover, perhaps because they don't take it as seriously as a female lover, or something like that. And there are probably wives who don't mind their bisexual husbands having male lovers, and so on. But I would think these would be relatively rare responses.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2007, 03:41:44 pm »
Thanks ineedcrayons!

Your comments are welcome, as I can dwell on them. Somehow, might be helpful too to others.

I will mention only one for now as you say this:
Well, of course, every marriage is different. But I would say in general that while wives do not want their husbands to be seeing other women, they'd be likely to object more, not less, to their husband having a sexual relationship with another man.

You accent to object MORE!! I would have thought LESS or NOT AT ALL!!

On Oprah, the wives who found out that their husbands were gay (maybe bi-sexuals??) were HAPPY that it was NOT another woman!! May I ask why?? I can not remember their answers.

If Ennis and Jack were homosexuals, bi-sexuals, heterosexuals or defining each themselves (and/or as a couple) as something else, did each prefer what is called a monosexual relationship?? With whom?? And when??

I am still puzzled as to why Ennis's wife stayed that long with her husband, as the movie seems to say!!

Awaiting your news and that of others too,

hugs!!