Author Topic: Are the Grand Tetons of USA in the Brokeback Mountain film??  (Read 12593 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Are the Grand Tetons of USA in the Brokeback Mountain film??
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 04:23:23 pm »
Hey, Artiste, I love your questions! Here is my pitiful attempt at answering.

1. The small horse that is in the cache is a treasure that I've heard was contributed by Sashca of this board, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can provide a better answer. I do not own anything in the cache, it resides safely on top of Brokenback Mountain, to be shared with anyone who wishes to make a pilgrimage there.

2. The movie horse belongs to our member Adrian (formerly adrian.delmar). I have had the pleasure of meeting this horse in person at the Wonder Bar in Casper, Wyoming. It is being well cared for. It's quite an interesting piece. A very stocky horse that reminds me of the Trojan Horse. It is covered with lovely little whittle marks. Adrian also has the knife that Heath Ledger used, and they are kept always together.

3. Those pictures were taken in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming, not the Grand Tetons.

4. The actual mountain is named Brokenback Mountain. It is impossible to ask Annie Proulx if she changed the name of the mountain because she insists that there is no Brokeback Mountain. In the story, though, she placed it in the same place as the real Brokenback Mountain.

5. JFT is Jack Fuckin Twist...what Ennis called his friend.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 06:53:39 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Boy, you sure know how to please a man!!
Love your smile too!!

Your answers are great!! I am very thankful!!

1. It is great that all can seek the cache - that is truly a gay spirit and action!!

2. Cache: (French word you know?)!!
I am surprised as well as happy that you use that word!! Why?? Are you of French-Canadien stock like Annie??

Will answer other later... because my back is killing me right now.

Again thanks for making me smile to your content!!

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 07:44:52 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Boy, you sure know how to please a man!!
Love your smile too!!

Your answers are great!! I am very thankful!!

...Are you of French-Canadien stock like Annie??

Will answer other later... because my back is killing me right now.

Hugs!!

<blush> Why thank you, Artiste! <kicks dirt with cowboy boot> Aw shucks!!

By smile, I think you mean the smile I had when I was holding the cache and the whiskey bottle on top of Brokenback Mountain! There is a funny story associated with that! I can't tell you all of it,  ::) but, first I poured out some of the Maker Makes (we changed the label of the Maker's Mark whiskey bottle) to annoint the mountain in honour of John and Phillip's anniversaire. And, then I was saving some back because I wanted to drink it. But EDelMar said, "Pour it all out!" So, I did. Then when he was taking a picture of me with the cache, he kept saying "Get lower!!" until I was almost touching the snow with my cheeks!! And laughing my head off!! Not to mention me being totally out of my head with happiness at being there (and having survived the long trip in near-zero weather!!)

Cache is the word universally used for the type of collection that is there...it's in a metal box with instructions on the top, and there is a guest book. It's nice to have a picture, but it can't come close to the experience of having been there!! No, I'm far from being French Canadian. But, did you know that Annie Proulx is French-Canuck? Mais oui!!

I would like to come give you a backrub so you can chat with me some more! C'mere, s'alright...s'alright...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 07:28:59 pm »
Artiste, there are some pictures of Devil's Tower in Wyoming here if you're interested.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7433.0.html

It is not mentioned in the story or the movie, so this may be off topic. However, Devil's Tower can just barely be seen from the family plot up near Lightning Flat!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 08:34:19 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

You do not know that some of your expressions made me smile!! Happily!! Whit and without your boots on!!

And I could not help to continue being happy too with this which made me laugh gladly:
I would like to come give you a backrub so you can chat with me some more! C'mere, s'alright...s'alright...

A backrub in the snow top of Brokenback Mountain??

Yes, I know that Annie is from French-Canadienne stock!!

Did you know that some of her relatives started a place or town??... or were in Wyoming, I think it was??

Keep on smiling stud... one day I will polish your boots??

Want to hear more of your jokes and see more photos of Brokenback Mountain trip you did and those stories too...

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 08:36:14 pm »
Which family plot?? Front-Ranger??

What is that about??

Is that in Annie's story??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!
You're welcome! Anytime!
You do not know that some of your expressions made me smile!! Happily!! Whit and without your boots on!!

My new cowboy boots? Hope you saw them and liked them!

A backrub in the snow top of Brokenback Mountain??

No, silly! After climbing the mountain!!
smiling stud... one day I will polish your boots??
Actually, I never want to polish them...I want them to get all nice and burnished.

Hugs back!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 03:35:50 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

That is funny, your comments above!! You made smile and laugh again, and again!!
You made my day cowgirl!!

(Just came back from the lake, from my walk with mother's dog. On the way, one of my mother's neighbours drove by. I went then to his place, and I asked him to come walk with me. There, at the lake, he introduced me to a lady whom I had went to school with. That was so nice!! I did not recognized her, nor still do, unfortunately, even if we talked for over an hour!! She mentioned many, many whom we had went to school with; she knows the names, but I do not!! Ever since those 4 who tried to kill me all at once, I still have memory problems galore!! I want my memory back, is that possible?? She recongnized me right away, even if I saw her over 50 years ago about!! So you understand why in more than one way I am attached to the Brokeback Mountain story of Annie??)

Are the Grand-Tetons of USA in the Brokeback film??

Before I forget, may I re-ask this:
Which family plot?? Front-Ranger??

What is that about??

Is that in Annie's story??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 04:42:12 pm »
That was a bittersweet story about the lady at the lake, Artiste. Hopefully you are now ready to regain your memory of your earlier days. I myself was "dead" to the world for 12 years, just earning a paycheck and raising my children, but not feeling anything. Seeing Brokeback Mountain "woke me up" and now I want to make up for lost time! About the family plot...in the story and movie, Jack's father tells Ennis that Jack's ashes will be buried in "the family plot." In the story, Ennis actually drives by the family plot after leaving Lightning Flat and Jack's parents.

In real life, I have visited a small cemetary twice that is south of the site of Lightning Flat. We affectionately call it The Family Plot but its real name is Stonypoint Cemetary.

If you go here: http://brokeback2007.com/events/essay.html you can read an essay I wrote about the visit to the family plot and see pictures of it.

Hugs back!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 04:52:12 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

I will check that! That is colourful that you think and name, and see such a family plot, in that real world, as you say!! Did you find out about those buried there?? At Lightning Flat (Stonypoint Cemetary)!! One you call as Family Plot!! Many buried there, or is it like 3 or 4??

If Annie's story is real possibly or like one, where could that family plot be that Ennis saw??

Hugs!!

Note: Talking about family plots, I have real photos of one of a family I know, if you would be interested.