Author Topic: My Mom Saw Brokeback Mountain  (Read 7172 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: My Mom Saw Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 10:34:32 pm »
No, it's available on eBay--for between 25-50 dollars...the pictures are huge and gorgeous...I'ver been told it should wsell for 100 dollars.

Would you like the first tent scene dark if you had been assured by sane people that during the simulated sex, Jack starts pounding the tent floor, and Ennis puts his hand over Jack's and just before Ennis collapses on Jack's back, Jack grabs Ennis's hand that's already holding his...HUH?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 10:39:32 pm »
On excellent equipment (not mine), the DVD looks fine--except for the tent scene (which is almost entuirely black mud), and--any scene which was not shot at high noon looks like early evening. Of course i don't mind that too much, but a tent scene which is nothing but mud (that's what I could see when my friend turned the brightness all the way up)--will NOT DO..."4 nights in 20 years" is IMAX by comparison..I've now tried 6 DVDs.

This sounds like an equipment problem and not a problem with the DVD, especially after six tries.  However, weeks ago I got hold of one of the awards screeners and the tent scenes are much brighter than at the cinema.  It's amazing to me that having alternated between watching the BBM screener and going back to cinema that I could give you a running commentary of the differences in brightness levels from scene to scene.  Personally I prefer a brighter tent scene only because much of the shadow detail disappeared into a sepia tone blur at the cinemas here - I don't know how this compared with the US brightness levels though.

For those who don't have the Oscar promo book, this is Heath and Jake on the set, dressed for the first summer--except Jack has the square whiskey bottle in his right hand (missed it in the scan!)_--for some reason or other (the one from the last night). CLICK TO ENLARGE

I am very jealous of these pictures.  Like bbm_stitchbuffyfan, I am eager to get hold of one of these.  Is it at all possible?  Got any suggestions?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 10:41:52 pm »
I am very jealous of these pictures.  Like bbm_stitchbuffyfan, I am eager to get hold of one of these.  Is it at all possible?  Got any suggestions?

Uh, sorry, just saw the note about ebay - I'll check there.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 01:32:40 am »
you guys realize that you can adjust the brightness on your tv sets, right? make it brighter or darker, to your preference.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 04:05:30 pm »
My 83 year old mom vascillated back and forth about seeing the movie, even though her 90 year old sister wanted to see it. I have printed her out a copy of the short story, but have not got up the nerve to give it to her yet. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 02:07:03 am »
My mom is 70. She is a strict old fashioned catholic. . I was proud that she sat there with me and watched a movie that means so much to me.

MY mother is 79 and a devoted Roman Catholic.  My father is still alive at 87 and also a RC.   I am 54.  I came out when I was in my 30s.   It's been a long slow movement from their dread and feelings of guilt, feelings that they somehow "did something wrong" when raising me, but I know they love me because after prayer and counsel with their priest, they told me "We can't agree with exactly how you live, but we love you as our son and always will."   They have met lovers over the years and have always been more than kind and accepting of the men I introduced.  There hasn't been a lot of them, but my parents have come a long and good way.   I think what you did was wonderful, John.  I think your Mom is more accepting of you than you might imagine.  The fact that she rented the movie for your sister says a lot.  I salute your courage... courage.... it comes from the French word "corage", meaning heart.

All the best,
Rayn
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 02:08:41 am by Rayn »

Offline Pug

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 08:32:22 am »
The BBM Pressbook was included with Daily Variety pre-Oscar, at the HRC event in NYC in goodie bags, was handed out at a special screening in So. California with cast and Ang present, and was given free with DVD purchase at the Virgin Megastores when it was first released on DVD. You should be able to be get one for less than $50 on eBay if you play your cards right.  It is gorgeous.

My Mom, age 88, saw BBM with me in December at the County Theater in Doylestown PA in December and has seen it at my place on DVD once.  The other day, she mentioned that she'd like to see it again!  She favors Jake to Heath but loves them both!
To err is human, to forgive canine...