Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 48295 times)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2006, 06:55:11 am »
I give up. How's it done? Does it involve the [ img ] and [ /img ] markers?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 07:04:30 am by Shuggy »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2006, 01:30:13 pm »
I give up. How's it done? Does it involve the [ img ] and [ /img ] markers?

What you do is right-click on the image, select "Properties," copy the URL (address) in the box that displays from beginning to end (highlight it, then right-click, then click "Copy"), then paste (right-click and click "Paste) it into the message text of your post between [ img ] and [ /img ] minus the spaces inside the brackets.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 02:50:04 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2006, 05:16:33 pm »

No need to repeat the original .gif image; but, that reminded me of a "Christian" neighbor who believes that it says in Leviticus that homosexualiy is an "abomination."

I asked her, "What about the OT law where women are not supposed go out in public when they are having their monthly period?

Leviticus 20:18 - If a man has sexual relations with a woman during her monthly period, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them are to be cut off from their people.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2006, 05:52:58 am »
What you do is right-click on the image, select "Properties," copy the URL (address) in the box that displays from beginning to end (highlight it, then right-click, then click "Copy"), then paste (right-click and click "Paste) it into the message text of your post between [ img ] and [ /img ] minus the spaces inside the brackets.

So it has to be up on the WWeb somewhere? What if it's in my computer? Must I make it an attachment at the end of my message?

vkm91941

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2006, 06:04:41 am »
So it has to be up on the WWeb somewhere? What if it's in my computer? Must I make it an attachment at the end of my message?

I up loaded it off my computer into Photobucket.  Then posted it here.  Photobucket does all the [ img ] [/img] stuff for you you just copy and paste.  The original gif was posted on the BBM board on the IMDB so I brought it over here for our enjoyment before the trolls got it deleted.  ;)  If you want to save it you have to save it as .gif, not jpeg in order to get the full effect.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:08:29 am by vkm91941 »

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2006, 05:50:26 pm »
I answered "other."

Strong atheist till age 20 -- went to Oxford and fell in love (I mean with a person -- but secondarily with the city of course) -- not coincidentally I'm sure, I had a powerful realization of what it meant to believe... at least for me... and felt that I had entered a jeweled chamber which I had only ever been able to see from the outside.  It was unutterably, achingly lovely.  I was an enthusiastic Christian (Episcopal-Lutheran; nothing else looks or sounds as appetizing to me) for a few years; now I'm a jaded, smart-alecky paid singer in the very church in which I was baptized almost ten years ago and I still take communion, and pray for forgiveness from ?? for my hypocrisy as my faith crumbles and I'm not working to put it back together -- just letting the feelings come through me as they will.

A big part of the reason I take communion is because, while I trust it would be okay with the pastor if I stopped, I would feel acutely uncomfortable.  A lot of people for whom I am a beacon, a guide, would have question marks in their thought-bubbles, and that would be a distraction from what I do, which is make music.  Eventually maybe I'll think of it as out-and-out acting, in the theatrical event that is Sunday morning, and Wednesday evenings as it happens.

My faith has been downgraded to hope.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2006, 02:38:10 pm »
Hey henrypie, when I somehow find myself in some sort of communion-celebrating church, which is rare, I am happy to walk up there  with my little hands folded just so and receive it.  It's just so communal.  Just because I don't believe that it's somebody's body and blood, I think it's still okay for me to do.  (And really, if people really believe it IS the body and blood of Christ, why the hell are they putting it in their mouths and swallowing it?  Ugh.)

I love the parts in church when we get to say stuff like, "And also with you," and try to ignore the glorification of the gory stuff.  But I only seem to get to a church once or twice a year, usually for someone's special event.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2006, 08:06:06 pm »
Hey henrypie, when I somehow find myself in some sort of communion-celebrating church, which is rare, I am happy to walk up there  with my little hands folded just so and receive it.  It's just so communal.  Just because I don't believe that it's somebody's body and blood, I think it's still okay for me to do.

Oh, I don't.  Communion is holy, a sacrament and supposed to mean something very deeply spiritual - asking the god for forgiveness, actually experiencing a miracle inside your body, washing away of sin, etc.

If I don't worship or honor their god, I can't bring myself to participate so I just sit it out.

(And really, if people really believe it IS the body and blood of Christ, why the hell are they putting it in their mouths and swallowing it?  Ugh.)

It transmorgrifies or whatever inside their bodies.  Yeah, the literal idea of what's supposed to happen is yucky.  As a young Catholic relative of mine said, "Yeah I take the Lord Jesus into my body.  But I poop him out, too."  O0

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2006, 12:42:01 pm »
That's transubstantiate, dela, not transmogrify.  Hee hee.

I had a weird experience in the eighth grade with my science teacher whom I worshipped.  I had recently heard of transubstantiation and asked him, thinking it must be a now-debunked notion like alchemy, if it were "still believed in."  He said "Absolutely.  I believe in it."

About ten years later he was fired for inappropriate behavior with a student.
Of course he was!

Giancarlo

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2006, 01:57:56 pm »
I'm a definite atheist. Recently my atheism has strengthened after seeing the relentless attacks by conservative fundamentalists and seeing how they don't have a point.