Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 48713 times)

gattaca

Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2006, 02:10:44 pm »
Agnostic (see my tagline). :)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2006, 02:14:07 pm »
I love that tagline, by the way, gattaca.   ;D
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2006, 07:32:27 pm »
That's transubstantiate, dela, not transmogrify.  Hee hee.

It was SOME big word.  ;D

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2006, 07:35:54 pm »
Oh, I don't.  Communion is holy, a sacrament and supposed to mean something very deeply spiritual - asking the god for forgiveness, actually experiencing a miracle inside your body, washing away of sin, etc.

If I don't worship or honor their god, I can't bring myself to participate so I just sit it out.
I used to take communion at our gay services, understanding that it was communion with everyone there and with those we were thinking of. Earlier, when I felt closer to christianity, I actually took communion (twice) according to the rite of the Church of South India, relying heavily on the line "We are the body of Christ".

It transmorgrifies or whatever inside their bodies.  Yeah, the literal idea of what's supposed to happen is yucky.  As a young Catholic relative of mine said, "Yeah I take the Lord Jesus into my body.  But I poop him out, too." 

My mother gave up Prebyterianism when she was told about communion. She just found the idea of eating Jesus - no matter how symbolically - utterly repugnant. (Her father had also had his first depressive breakdown, and therefore she decided, there was no god. It's 90 years ago now and she's dead 20 years, so I guess it can be told.)

Transmogrifies/"Transubstantiates"/"Transsignificates" (Transsignifies?) The Catholic church used to teach that the bread and wine literally, physically and in every other way turned into flesh and blood. When that became untenable (and repugnant) they fell back on a very Aristotelian idea that its essence (real spiritual nature) became flesh and blood while its accidents (external appearance and physical attributes) stayed bread and wine. They seem to have retreated from that one now (since it more and more seems just word-play) to "transsignification" which is almost a New Age "your reality / my reality" "In my universe it's really body and blood" kind of "it is but it isn't". Have your cake and eat it too, eh? And all in order to make "This is my body, ... this is my blood" true in some sense.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2006, 12:56:42 am »
I am a cradle Catholic (baptized  Catholic at birth). I have remained Catholic all my life, but I no longer attend Mass.... for obvious reasons. :(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2006, 02:42:13 am »
Christened Church of England...but prefer to live by my own standards and morals....

Am sick of the hypocracy of the church.........
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline TexRob

• Jr. Ranch Hand
What is your religion?
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2006, 11:10:30 pm »
I don't have a religion, but since everyone needs an integrated view of existence to guide them, I define my worldview as "naturalistic humanism."  For me, human beings should be the basis of ethical considerations.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2006, 08:39:55 am »
I don't have a religion, but since everyone needs an integrated view of existence to guide them, I define my worldview as "naturalistic humanism."  For me, human beings should be the basis of ethical considerations.

Very nicely said.  I feel the same way.
No more beans!

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2006, 03:54:30 pm »
I'm a Catholic - borned, raised and confirmed.  However ... I'm also pro-choice, believe VERY strongly in gay marriage, and am a hard core liberal democrat.  Apparently I don't fit much of the "catholic" label.  I do attend mass occassionally - mostly because I find it a peaceful hour of my life where I feel fully relaxed ... unless they are talking about money or marriage during the homily *lol*  In my opinion people just need to find what works for them - churches and religions aren't for everyone and that is fine by me ... but it's what works for me and so I let it be.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline TexRob

• Jr. Ranch Hand
What is your religion?
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2006, 11:06:46 pm »
Very nicely said.  I feel the same way.

Thanks, ednbarby.  I think by looking at the story of Jack and Ennis in this light, it helps a little better to see that they did not get what they had a right to.  This way of looking at the world seems like the most practical way to sort through life's issues.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:21:31 pm by TexRob »