Author Topic: Do You Think They All Knew? Jacks Parents? Laureen?  (Read 10298 times)

moremojo

Re: Do You Think They All Knew? Jacks Parents? Laureen?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 06:21:50 pm »
Inferred: the rodeo circuit--it's small, word about Jack would have got around. there was a deleted scene where jimbo's buddies confronted Jack.
This could have been a major factor in Jack's decision to leave the rodeo world, though he makes no mention of it to Ennis, in either story or film. He wouldn't have, of course, because he recognizes Ennis's homophobia, and would not wish to unnecessarily provoke him.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 06:45:34 pm »
Would Jimbo and his buddies have killed Jack, because Jack wanted sex with men??

Who is this Jimbo??

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 06:51:24 pm »
Who is this Jimbo??
In the film, Jimbo is the rodeo clown that Jack approaches in the bar after having worked with him earlier in a rodeo. This scene comes fairly early in the film, after the boys' departure from Brokeback in 1963 but before their reunion in 1967; I don't have the published screenplay before me, but I think we are meant to infer that the Jimbo encounter takes place in Texas.

Jimbo might not necessarily have harmed Jack, but he definitely got a "vibe" from Jack, and rejected him. I think his approaching his bar buddies is meant to foreshadow the possible murder of Jack later in the story; it's certainly a tense scene. So, yes, I do think some of those men would have been capable and willing to kill Jack for being gay.

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 08:14:36 pm »
In the film, Jimbo is the rodeo clown that Jack approaches in the bar after having worked with him earlier in a rodeo. This scene comes fairly early in the film, after the boys' departure from Brokeback in 1963 but before their reunion in 1967; I don't have the published screenplay before me, but I think we are meant to infer that the Jimbo encounter takes place in Texas.

Jimbo might not necessarily have harmed Jack, but he definitely got a "vibe" from Jack, and rejected him. I think his approaching his bar buddies is meant to foreshadow the possible murder of Jack later in the story; it's certainly a tense scene. So, yes, I do think some of those men would have been capable and willing to kill Jack for being gay.

FYI a much larger scene was filmed between "Jimbo" and his friends and Jack. The original scene includes a confrontation of all parties.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 11:59:28 pm »
Thanks, thanks moremojo and RossInIllinois!!

In the movie, I did feel that that Jimbo, after refusing Jack, went to talk to his buddies against Jack... and that was maybe to kill Jack (because Jack wanted sex with Jimbo)!! Is that so too in Annie's story?
?

And RossInIllinois, you do say this:
FYI a much larger scene was filmed between "Jimbo" and his friends and Jack. The original scene includes a confrontation of all parties.
How did you find this out cocerning this LARGER scene, may I ask you RossInIllinois?? Is that too in Annie's story??

Hugs, hugs to you both!!

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 12:38:03 am »
Yes, I was there when that sequence was shot.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 02:06:08 am »
ARTISTE!!!

You HAVE to read the story.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 10:29:27 am »
Thanks RossInIllinois!

Since you say this:
Yes, I was there when that sequence was shot.

May I ask details of that??

Hugs!!