Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 142505 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2006, 08:57:08 pm »
Agree about Maurice and Scudder. I recall reading (maybe in the intro to the book?) that Forster had an alternate ending at one point that had M & Scudder working as loggers in a forest, and M's sister comes upon them. Or something like that. Agree, that relationship could not have worked in England. They would have had to go to some other country where the class differences wouldn't be obvious to everyone . . .

they could have moved to Greece.

btw, talk about old films not out on DVD, I saw a some clips of "Reflection in a Golden Eye" (1967) starring Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando. Brando plays a military man who is dealing with being a closeted homosexual, and Taylor plays his bitter wife. Has anyone seen this film and care to give a comment?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2006, 09:26:50 pm »
they could have moved to Greece.

btw, talk about old films not out on DVD, I saw a some clips of "Reflection in a Golden Eye" (1967) starring Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando. Brando plays a military man who is dealing with being a closeted homosexual, and Taylor plays his bitter wife. Has anyone seen this film and care to give a comment?

I saw it when it came out . . . and don't remember much except there was a lot of sturm and drang and the text was mostly subtext. As I recall the man on man action consists of one brief scene where Brando tries to plant one on Forster . . .  I might have a better appreciation now as someone older with more life experience . . . at 21, probably a lot went over my head . . . this movie and another are said to be the motivation for creating the hollywood rating system . . . it caused a big stir, not to the BBM level, because everything was still closeted, including discussion, but it was very controversial with a Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name mystique.
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline azphil

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2006, 09:27:16 pm »
Speaking of things Austrian (or German), I pulled a DVD out of my library the other evening.......one which I watch from time to time, but, in between times, tend to forget about the enjoyment I get out of it.

It's a 1998 German production titled, "The Trio," and it might give you a better idea about how others in the gay and bisexual world spend some of their time. 

Whether you might want to own it, I can't say........but it's certainly worth a rental, if you can find it that way.

For those interested:  http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dvdcalc2?cmd=calc&tmpCart=11097

Offline Samrim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2006, 04:17:02 am »
Hi Impish,

I've not been 'here' for long, so I'm quite' late in the day' on this string. I've not read too much of it yet, but so far I've not seen mention of 'Consenting Adult', with Martin Sheen as the homophobic dad, and a young (attractive, swimming type) Barry Tubb, coming out.

I share the opinions expressed on IMDb about it, and, even after twenty years I remember it with pleasure. Not great art, no Brokeback, but very worth a look

I'd be interested to hear your opinion!
Best wishes

Sam
 :)
Sam

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2006, 12:14:05 pm »
About Marlon Kittel: you're right. He is adorable and so talented!
I just read that he plays the piano and speaks several languages. According to his agency he also does artistic gymnasitics, surfing, sailing, skiing, Karate, Tennis, Eishockey and standard dance! :o
Anyways, he is a very believable lover in "Summerstorm." After playing "Leo" he must be every young gay guy's wet dream personified...   :laugh:

Hey Anke! Thanks for putting me onto 'Sommersturm' on the PT. I've just ordered a copy and I can't wait to see it when it arrives in a few days time. Yeah, Marlon Kittel is cute, but personally I wouldn't mind some a that there Robert Stadlober!! There's just something about that boy!! :P
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2006, 04:03:54 pm »
Hey Anke! Thanks for putting me onto 'Sommersturm' on the PT. I've just ordered a copy and I can't wait to see it when it arrives in a few days time. Yeah, Marlon Kittel is cute, but personally I wouldn't mind some a that there Robert Stadlober!! There's just something about that boy!! :P

Hehe. Yeah, I just couldn't resist putting JBB in there...  ;D

Hope you like the movie!    :)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2006, 06:44:20 pm »
I just added "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang" to my original list.

In most ways, this isn't really a gay-themed film, but Val Kilmer does play a gay private investigator, and it's heartening to see his character's sexuality being handled as a non-issue.

It's a comedy-mystery, and I liked it quite a lot.  Robert Downey, Jr. gives a wondeful performance; it was the first time I saw how attractive he can be.

Recommended.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2006, 07:34:10 pm »
"Girls Will Be Girls" just arrived, and will watch it tonight.  This is the other movie featuring Miss Coco Peru, who I met on my cruise.

Will post a review soon.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #168 on: September 08, 2006, 03:17:09 pm »
Hope you like the movie!    :)

Anke, I LOVED it! I thought it lacked maturity in some respects and was occasionally a little cringeworthy, but Robert Stadlober was superb - what charisma and real screen presence! Marlon kittel was also very good - I loved the relationship between those two... so sweet! Great love scene between them - beautifully played and completely believable.

Cuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!!!!!!!!!...(sorry, you have to scroll)

...even with stupid hair and 'Saturday Night Fever' dress sense  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 03:19:27 pm by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2006, 10:04:12 am »
Watched "Totally F**d Up" last night, a Gregg Araki 1992 movie. Think I mentioned I'm working my way through all the gay movies I can find that I haven't yet seen--I'd seen this years ago but didn't remember much about it.

If I were doing a syllabus for a course on gay films, I think I'd include this movie. Interesting for its perspective on disaffected gay youth of the 90s, the first generation to grow up seeing an out gay culture. Their blase attitude about being gay is what makes this film interesting. It's maybe a little heavy on avant-garde technique, but still interesting.
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.