Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 142702 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2006, 05:56:25 pm »
Hey Dafna ..

The Latter Days novel was adapted from CJ Cox's screenplay for the movie!  I am dying to get my hands on that one. ;)  Like you, I am building my movie collection considerably these days and I havent been to the theatre in months actually!

One movie that I have not yet found the courage to watch again is Mysterious Skin.  It was very well-done but hard to watch.  I'll have to suck it up and watch it again one of these days. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (aka "Ryder" in Latter Days) gave a phenomenal performance in it!  Quite the talented young actor he is!

Please don't get me started about that song ..  ;)  I get a lump in my throat everytime I watch it!

I watched Mysterious Skin on Sunday - dark, powerful, gripping.  I agree that it was hard to watch.  And I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt has a brilliant future ahead of him based on Latter Days and this.  I'm anxious to see more of him - such versatility, physicality, and he's really just getting started.

One of my favorite movies is by Sally Potter and it is called Orlando. It is from a novel by Virginia Woolf about a boy growing up in Elizabethan England who actually lives until modern times, changing into a woman about halfway through the story. Not exactly a gay-themed movie but more of a transgender one. It stars Tilda Swinton and Billy Zane is in it too. Also Quentin Crisp plays Elizabeth I.

Thanks, Lee...over in the flirtin' thread I was going 'Hunh?' Ennis-style about Quentin Crisp.  I added Orlando and Yes to my Netflix queue :).
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2006, 08:24:40 pm »
Cool, I will see about getting it today.

Shortbus is not out on DVD yet.... still in extremely limited release.  Most theatres refuse to show it.   

Look for it at an indie artsty-fartsy theatre in your area.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2006, 09:54:06 am »
One of my favorite movies is by Sally Potter and it is called Orlando. It is from a novel by Virginia Woolf about a boy growing up in Elizabethan England who actually lives until modern times, changing into a woman about halfway through the story. Not exactly a gay-themed movie but more of a transgender one. It stars Tilda Swinton and Billy Zane is in it too. Also Quentin Crisp plays Elizabeth I.

Ooooo, I love Orlando. I used to use it for one of my film classes - very challenging for the students, both thematically and filmicly.

As a matter of interest, are there any Derek Jarman fans on the thread?
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2006, 11:27:13 am »
"Another Gay Movie" was just released on DVD, and it was added to my collection on Wednesday.

This is a comedic romp about 4 high schoolers who make a pact to lose their anal virginity before the end of the summer.  It's an over-the-top, gross-out, sophomoric humor flick; appropriate here because it's about teen-aged kids.  It's set in a fantasy world in which there is no homophobia, parents are always supportive, public affection is no big deal, etc., much like the  world of the movie "Big Eden."

It's a lot of fun, but I don't think straight audiences would enjoy it as much, simply because so much of it is based on in-jokes.  Director Todd Stephens created a film with a clear target audience:  gay men.

PS:  my copy was defective, and I suspect it's a problem affecting all copies.  If you are planning to buy, I'd hold off a bit until they get that corrected.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:51:44 am by Impish »
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2006, 12:36:10 am »
I think "Parting Glances" and "Mysterious Skin" are two of the best movies I ever saw.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

moremojo

« Reply #215 on: November 27, 2006, 04:24:49 pm »
As a matter of interest, are there any Derek Jarman fans on the thread?
I haven't seen too much of his work, but I did enjoy his Edward II. I have a copy of his book, Dancing Ledge, and appreciate that too. I don't know if I've been exposed to enough of his work to qualify as a fan, but he's certainly of interest to me.

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2006, 04:57:26 pm »
I haven't seen too much of his work, but I did enjoy his Edward II. I have a copy of his book, Dancing Ledge, and appreciate that too. I don't know if I've been exposed to enough of his work to qualify as a fan, but he's certainly of interest to me.

I find some of his work hard going, but it's always fascinating, unique and challenging. My favourite of those I've seen is 'The Last of England', although many consider 'War Requiem' his best - unfortunately I've not seen it yet. I've seen many interviews with him and some of his home movies when they were screened on tv and think he was an extraordinary man - his whole attitude to work, life, art, people, the way he chose to live was completely his own. It's a very hard feat pull off in the modern world and he came across as a truly generous spirit. His writing was also very beautiful - I challenge anyone to read 'Smiling in Slow Motion', his diaries during the last 3 years of his life, and not be moved beyond tears by the extraordinary relationship he had with his partner and the courage with which he bore his illness.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 05:03:02 pm by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline azphil

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #217 on: December 19, 2006, 02:06:02 pm »
On 10-31-06 "ekeby" said:  I'd like to hear about other DVD buying resources from you guys . . .

Here's a couple of thoughts.  Amazon.com 'Used' prices are sometimes best, but if it's a popular gay release they're nothing special.  Plus, you gotta pay a $2.59 shipping fee.

DeepDiscountDVD.com is very often best on price (+ no shipping fee) but receipt time pretty darn slow.

But don't forget to check out DVDPacific.com----lotta times their prices somewhat lower than DeepD----but they do have small shipping fee of $1.58 (but I find they get them to you very quickly, a real plus to me).

But, Overall, make sure you check out:  DVDPriceSearch.com for pretty much across-the-board pricing.  Plus they've got a great power-search setup and a good check for coupons/specials.

Happy Hunting / Happy Buying

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #218 on: December 19, 2006, 02:34:58 pm »

I have recently gone nuts ordering movies from amazon .. some movies I am waiting for:
- Soldier's girl
- Monster
-The truth about Jane
- and the Latter Days novel!

Gone nuts ordering new movies? Lol. How I can relate to that!   :P

I, too, bought Monster recently and thought it was really good. Charlize Theron truly is amazing in it! 
Also quite cute is the British movie My Summer of Love about a lower class girl who falls in love with a girl from a rich family.  :)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #219 on: December 26, 2006, 01:28:54 pm »

I just saw Fremde Haut (international title: Unveiled), a very touching movie about Fariba, a young woman from Iran who seeks asylum in Germany after being prosecuted for having a relationship with a woman in her country. German authorities deny her the right to permanent residence, but she finds a way to stay by adopting the identity of a male compatriot who has committed suicide. Living as a man in the cramped quarters of an asylum-seekers’ hostel, she has a hard time not being unmasked. To earn enough money for a new passport she illegally takes on a job in a Sauerkraut factory where she falls in love with single mother Anne, a coworker. Lead actress Jasmin Tabatabai (who is also a well known musician in Germany) was actually born in Iran, and she does a terrific job as Fariba. Her love interest is played by Anneke Kim Sarnau who was the German woman in The Constant Gardener. She, too is very good and there are certainly erotic sparks flying between the two of them. Recommended!