Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 142952 times)

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2006, 10:03:05 pm »
moremojo

Both Picnic at Hanging Rock and Gallipoli were directed by Peter Weir.

moremojo

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2006, 10:28:09 pm »
moremojo

Both Picnic at Hanging Rock and Gallipoli were directed by Peter Weir.

True...somehow I wasn't thinking of that when typing out my post. The same director's Dead Poets Society is another film that, while not ostensibly homosexual in theme, has been cited by some critics as subtly suggestive of that area.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2006, 10:51:47 pm »
True...somehow I wasn't thinking of that when typing out my post. The same director's Dead Poets Society is another film that, while not ostensibly homosexual in theme, has been cited by some critics as subtly suggestive of that area.

There was a gay character in DPS though wasn't there?  The one that commited suicide?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2006, 11:14:40 pm »
Indeed there was...

And, OT, here but, damn!, AussieChris... you are awfully cute!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

--Kudz

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2006, 11:41:52 pm »
And, OT, here but, damn!, AussieChris... you are awfully cute!

With emphasis on the "awful"!  ;)  He he, just kidding, thanks Kudz.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2006, 11:55:54 pm »
lol, chris...

I used the word in its original sense -- inspiring awe....

(wink)

--Kudz

Offline mike348

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2006, 04:35:57 pm »
One that I watched many years ago on TV in the UK was "Consenting Adult".  It was later repeated on another channel but was cut to pieces so lost all its impact about a young guy discovering he is gay and against his parents wishes finally accepts.  There's a very sad end as the homophobic father dies and the son returns to visit the mother with his partner only to find a letter from his father regretting his views and accepting he loves his son.  Very sad at the end.

Unfortunately the movie has never made it onto video or DVD, unless someone knows differently as I would like to get a copy after being so affected by BBM.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2006, 06:56:18 pm »
Just watched "Making Love" last night, for the first time since its release in 1981. 

The good:  brave for its time,  not one swishy stereotype in it, and I want to lick Michael Ontkean head to toe.

The bad:   it feels like a soap opera and Kate Jackson is simply terrible in it.

It absolutely pales when compared to Brokeback Mountain, but then, most of 'em do.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2006, 06:58:53 pm »

I haven't seen mentioned "Total Eclipse"  and "Before Night Falls."

i second "Before Night Falls". I loved that depiction of Havana's renaissance just before the fall. That period of growth in Cuban literature, art and music seemed so romantic. Which of course makes it's fall so much more tragic. And Javier Bardem is amazing in that film.

also, has anyone seen "Buck and Chuck"? Okay, not sure if I'd call it a gay friendly film. It's weird and quirky but good.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2006, 12:55:50 am »
i second "Before Night Falls". I loved that depiction of Havana's renaissance just before the fall. That period of growth in Cuban literature, art and music seemed so romantic. Which of course makes it's fall so much more tragic. And Javier Bardem is amazing in that film.

also, has anyone seen "Buck and Chuck"? Okay, not sure if I'd call it a gay friendly film. It's weird and quirky but good.
Total Eclipse is kinda funky, especially coming from the director of a great flick like Europa Europa.  Eclipse has kind of become more known for having a full frontal nude shot of Leonardo DiCaprio (who, TLA Video quips, isn't so 'titanic').

Before Night Falls was terrific, loved it.  I have a couple of clients who actually did go through some of the torture that he endures in the book/movie, it was heinous.  Personally I still don't have a grip on how to evaluate Castro's influence on Cuba, but the movie is great, especially for Johnny Depp as a smuggling drag queen.

And Chuck and Buck, what a cool, funny movie!  Very atypical 'gay movie', more about obsession and the desire to stay a child.  The two male stars are good, but Lupe Ontivero really knocked it out in that movie.  Definitely worth a rent if you're in the mood for a very offbeat movie.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....