Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 81746 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2007, 10:18:13 am »
Thanks, Scott! I was looking for a good movie to take in while waiting for it to get dark e-nuff for fireworks tonite! This sounds like just the ticket!!

Meanwhile I've started watching The Science of Sleep on my computer, but need to switch to a larger screen to keep from falling asleep while watching it! Because of the subtitles...

What other summer movies are people watching??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2007, 05:00:39 pm »
7/4/07 USA TODAY ranks 25 Hollywood Movies that have had an impact.  BBM isn't ranked but PHILADELPHIA comes in at #8. :(    Was Philadelphia that groundbreaking.  I thought Longtime Companions which screened on my PBS station at the time was more moving. Of course, it didn't do that well at the B.O. 
Did Philadelphia cause that much conversation.  Hollwyood was accused of being late as usual with a social commentary film about AIDS after the hysteria when even Reagan couldn't mention the word.

8. Philadelphia (1993)
Before that rendezvous on Brokeback Mountain, straight stars Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas were gay lovers in this groundbreaker about an AIDS-afflicted lawyer who sues over job discrimination. Hard to believe that this was the first major studio movie to deal with the disease.

Here's the full article

http://www.usatoday.com/life/top25-movies.htm
YOu can click on the article to find out the author's rationale.   Had an impact.  THE CABLE GUY??  I don't want this blog post to be too big..
I do agree with SEX LIES AND VIDEOS being on the list. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2007, 03:02:18 pm »
Yes, Philadelphia was a big deal, I think it was primarily because of Tom Hanks' starring in it. He also won the Best Actor Oscar as well.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 03:09:58 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2007, 11:23:41 am »
USA Today has gone off the deep end with their movie lists, I think. Some of those movies had me mystified!!

I had a scare last nite. I was watching the 1998 Coen Brothers movie The Big Lebowski, which is very funny. One of the best parts of it is the Cowboy (natch!) played by Sam Elliott. Afterwards, somebody mentioned that he died! I was very relieved to find out that he is still alive and kicking, according to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Elliott

and excited to read that a movie is coming out this year starring him in His Dark Materials!! Now this could be good!!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2007, 11:55:15 am »
I had a scare last nite. I was watching the 1998 Coen Brothers movie The Big Lebowski, which is very funny. One of the best parts of it is the Cowboy (natch!) played by Sam Elliott. Afterwards, somebody mentioned that he died! I was very relieved to find out that he is still alive and kicking, according to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Elliott

and excited to read that a movie is coming out this year starring him in His Dark Materials!! Now this could be good!!

Lee, you're right about His Dark Materials.  It looks like it could be really good.  The website for that film is stunningly beautiful: http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/?.  The cast is gorgeous, too:  Daniel Craig, Nicole Kidman and Eva Green, as well as Sam Elliott.

I've read the trilogy of books the movie is based on, and they're highly imaginative and dramatic.  I don't know how they're going to condense the story into one movie.  Maybe there's more than one?  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2007, 03:54:16 pm »
I read part of one book, but after BBM, my attention span for books is the length of one well-known short story, and no more! Interesting, when I heard Annie Proulx speak in Boulder, Colorado, she was asked how she felt about the movie Brokeback Mountain, as opposed to the one for Shipping News, and she said that making a movie from a novel was essentially a destructive act, because so much has to be cut out, whereas with Brokeback Mountain it was more a process of adding to, or fleshing out. LauraGigs was just reminding me of her comment last nite. . .

I am really excited to see Sam Elliott in this role! He just hasn't had a defining role in my opinion. (Tho I never saw him in McGuyver) He just gets better and better as he gets older (and the mustache gets bushier!) If Jack had lived, I imagine he would look something like Sam...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2007, 06:09:35 pm »

Lee, you're right about His Dark Materials.  It looks like it could be really good.  The website for that film is stunningly beautiful: http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/?.  The cast is gorgeous, too:  Daniel Craig, Nicole Kidman and Eva Green, as well as Sam Elliott.

I've read the trilogy of books the movie is based on, and they're highly imaginative and dramatic.  I don't know how they're going to condense the story into one movie.  Maybe there's more than one?  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it.
You're right about the website. I got to choose my daemon, and it's a male gibbon named Agapius. It's fun! Try it all of you who enjoy those quick personality quizzes!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2007, 06:15:26 pm »
Here he is, the man of the moment, appearing as The Stranger on The Big Lebowski:

Now that's what I call a 'stache!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2007, 07:14:58 pm »
This is gonna sound a bit crazy, probably, and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I actually thought one of the principal characters was quite cute (in the I-wish-he-could-be-my-boyfriend kind of way)

Scott, I have found animated characters cute in the I-wish-he-could-be-my-boyfriend kind of way, too! One that comes to mind is the beatnicky artist in The Iron Giant, a film by the same guy as made Ratatouille (which I thought was excellent, too, BTW -- one scene that I thought was wonderful and that was mentioned in a review I read was where the food critic takes a bite of the special dish, and the touching, creative way his reaction was dramatized).

Anyway, back to my crush in The Iron Giant, he was voiced by Harry Connick Jr., whom I DON'T find cute in the I-wish-he-could-be-my-boyfriend kind of way. But he sounded great.

P.S. I found Capt. John Smith in Pocahontas kind of IWHCBMB cute, too.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2007, 10:14:59 pm »
Welcome back, ineed!! Where ya been? Ya musta got all those notes I left at your place an...

;D

I had the opportunity to see Harry in concert at Red Rocks a few weeks ago, and altho his music was kinda fluffy, his clowning around with his bandmates was very endearing. He played a nice roster of New Orleans music and made like white trailer trash. I imagine he'd have a rilly nice voice for animations too.