Author Topic: Alanis humps  (Read 3173 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Alanis humps
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:40:35 pm »

Hysterical, check it out!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Alanis humps
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:52:13 pm »

Hysterical, check it out!

That was Sooo bad

Is that the state a today's music? Aaaarrrgh!

(she's not really Canadian!!)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:02:52 pm »
That was Sooo bad

Is that the state a today's music? Aaaarrrgh!

(she's not really Canadian!!)

The point she was trying to make.  Isn't that ironic?  8)

One wag on the website where I found the link went on to say:

Ms. Morissette completely left out the lyrics that redeems "My Humps," namely the brilliant rap that punctuates the piece...

"Mix yo' milk wit ma cocoa puffs,
Milky, milky cocoa."
   O0

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 05:16:58 pm »
Roland, do you know the original?  It might help.

The very first BBM video I ever saw was to My Humps.  I'd never heard it til then.

Or how about this?
&mode=related&search=

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:26:51 pm »
Sorry Elle. I don't know any of Alanis' music - only that it's not my type.

Heck, I don't even like the other canadian diva, frome the 90's - Sarah McLaughlin.

Maybe there were just too many canadian divas ... Celine, Shania, Alanis, Sarah, Avril, k d lang, Diana Krall, and now another one, Nellly Furtado - who can keep up? When will it stop?!?! - Oh and have you heard the latest remake of Janis Ian's 'At Seventeen' by Jann Arden?

I think that nearly 25% of Tony Bennett's latest duet album is done with canadians?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 05:31:04 pm by Sheriff Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 05:49:36 pm »

Heck, I don't even like the other canadian diva, frome the 90's - Sarah McLaughlin.

Maybe there were just too many canadian divas ... Celine, Shania, Alanis, Sarah, Avril, k d lang, Diana Krall, and now another one, Nellly Furtado - who can keep up? When will it stop?!?! - Oh and have you heard the latest remake of Janis Ian's 'At Seventeen' by Jann Arden?

I think that nearly 25% of Tony Bennett's latest duet album is done with canadians?

All those people are Canadian?  I only knew about Celine Dion. 

But I wasn't clear - the original of this song is by a group called The Black Eyed Peas, and it's the one the BBM video above is set to.  It's extremely addictive, hard to get out of your head, whether you like the song or not.

The one that delalluvia posted, as far as I can tell, is a tongue in cheek parody that mocks not only the silly original song, but mocks Alanis Morisette's whole style too.  I'm not sure anybody is exactly supposed to like it.  At least that's my interpretation...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 10:08:27 pm »

Sorry Roland, I should have been more descriptive.  There was a very popular rap song a few years back called 'My Humps' sung by the singer Fergie from the group the Black-Eyed Peas.  It was a catchy thing, but completely mindless.

In this vid, the singer Alanis Morrisette, who has a completely different style and extremely recognizable singing voice and is more of a ballad singer, decided to parody the song to make a point about the state of musical lyric writing in popular music these days.