Author Topic: Do you try to subtly detect possible Brokies?  (Read 6005 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Do you try to subtly detect possible Brokies?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 12:13:33 pm »
"On the QT" measns secretly, or hushed-up. It was in common useage in the '40s and '50s. Suppose the letters are from the first and last letters of "quiet."

Been afraid to post Aguirre since the last time, when someone said his photo made him/her feel sick to his/her stomach...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 02:01:33 pm »
Yes I do... now that you mention it. I never really realised it till now, but I do.

I'm upset cos a very good guy friend of mine who I thought may be the one straight male I know to like the film has told me he thought it was "crap. Good acting but the plot took too long to go anywhere." At this I was shocked and had to be like "the plot?" because I find that I'm so enrapted by the story, I tend to forget about superficial things like a plot. The worst was I was willing to be like "ok, fine, I understand" but then, after initially saying he didn't want to debate about it, he carried on explaining why it was so crap *grumble grumble* (we're not on the best of terms at the moment cos after that he was horrible about something else).
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 07:32:35 pm »
I just wrote an email to a friend I hadn't heard from in more than a year. ...  I signed off with "drop me a line, say if you're there."

Here's an update: my friend emailed back and said "Yep." But I don't think that's significant, because my question to her hadn't been, "I'm starving. Wanna get something to eat?" Now, if she'd emailed back, "You bet," I would have been excited!

Newest update: My friend wrote back a longer message, in which she said (among other things):
As for Brokeback, I didn't think it was the greatest movie I've ever
seen, although I liked it a lot and see it as a very important movie.

Well, so much for that friendship!

Just kidding. As long as someone says they liked it, I don't hate them. Still, I'm baffled by how anybody can manage not to fall head over heels in love with it.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 07:43:23 pm »
I just wrote an email to a friend I hadn't heard from in more than a year. ...  I signed off with "drop me a line, say if you're there."

Here's an update: my friend emailed back and said "Yep." But I don't think that's significant, because my question to her hadn't been, "I'm starving. Wanna get something to eat?" Now, if she'd emailed back, "You bet," I would have been excited!

Newest update: My friend wrote back a longer message, in which she said (among other things):
As for Brokeback, I didn't think it was the greatest movie I've ever
seen, although I liked it a lot and see it as a very important movie.

Well, so much for that friendship!

Just kidding. As long as someone says they liked it, I don't hate them. Still, I'm baffled by how anybody can manage not to fall head over heels in love with it.

My best friend said it was ok and not worth another $8.00 to see it again. GASP!  I could not believe she said that. 

Like you, it amazes me that people don't love it as much as I do or the brokies all around here.  I said this before.. we are kindered spirits on this board.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 09:46:26 pm »
More Britt and Brokeback: Today I was greetied with the information that Jack and Ennis were SPOILED. "SPOILED?" I squeeked--thery're both dirt-poor, have been working since they were 12-14, and Ennis especially hasn't even got a decently fitting or warm jacket to wear...both are responsible and work hard--whadayawant...(so now we have a state full ofr spoiled sexual preditors )his wife and his neice told me to ignore him......same guy gave me my OWN "Capote" that he burned for me, without even being asked...I don't get you...some of you...guys...

Heath and Jake dressed for '63: click to enlarge
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 04:06:22 pm »
That's a very odd thing for someoen to say. Did this person have a Dickenson childhood, dumped on the streets when he was ten or something.

Ennis and Jack have it about as rough as your going to get for rurual poverty, dysfunctional families or non-existent familes, growing up in a part of the USA where economic opportunies were scarce unless you wanted to be a roughneck in the newly opened oil patches. Yeah, I've met a few gay guys who work in the offshore oil industry, so I could have seen Ennis pursue that line of work. Probably that industry was just taking off when Ennis was in his 30's. Much better paying then ranchhand work. THen again, you might lose a finger or two.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 11:27:55 am »
This is still happening!
"chewing gum and duct tape"