Author Topic: Speaking of Flash Back's Wouldn't It Have Been Nice...  (Read 2954 times)

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Speaking of Flash Back's Wouldn't It Have Been Nice...
« on: April 07, 2007, 01:29:43 pm »
If they would have done a flash back of Jack putting the shirts on the hanger for the first time? Threading one inside the other just as Ennis discovers the two shirts? They could have had Jack embracing and smelling the shirts before he hung them as it faded to Ennis 20 years later now doing the same as he just found them?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 01:45:26 pm by RossInIllinois »

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Speaking of Flash Back's Wouldn't It Have Been Nice...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 01:37:03 pm »
Oooh - you are SO right, Ross!  What an excellent idea.  And it would have made a nice counterpoint for the dozy embrace flashback if it were filmed from Ennis' point of view when he discovers the shirts.  I think if it were done correctly - and we know Ang Lee would have done it flawlessly, it would have made Ennis' discovery of the shirts and his realization that Jack had *LOVED* him that much more poignant.  Which admittedly I can't imagine how that scene could rip your heart out any more than it already does, so maybe I've answered my own question about why it's not there.

Sorry...I type in circles sometimes.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:43:54 pm »
Thanks RoosInIllinois!

I find your suggestion great!!

That is one reason I want a remake!!

Plus to include that in my films, good idea??

Hugs!!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 02:16:27 pm »
If they would have done a flash back of Jack putting the shirts on the hanger for the first time? Threading one inside the other just as Ennis discovers the two shirts? They could have had Jack embracing and smelling the shirts before he hung them as it faded to Ennis 20 years later now doing the same as he just found them?

Nope, I beg to disagree. I wouldn't want it. I think it would lessen, not increase the impact of the scene where Ennis finds The Shirts.
It's a slow scene. The feelings (Ennis's as well as those of the ausdience) develop bit by bit. A slow revelation. It concentrates fully on Ennis and the viewer automatically tries to see into Ennis' mind, emphasizes with him. Oh my god, what must this mean to him. It's too late, too late. He will never again be able to hold the man instead of the empty shirts.

I think this would be marred by a flashback at this point. Additionally I think, it would have been too much, too Titanic-like, if you know what I mean. Overdone.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 02:25:37 pm »
Great comment too Penthesilea!

You say this:
 think this would be marred by a flashback at this point. Additionally I think, it would have been too much, too Titanic-like, if you know what I mean. Overdone.

So I say this:
Instead of Overdone that would be, then get Ennis back in his trailer and he dreams of seeing Jack place Ennis's shirt into his!!

What do you say??

Hugs!!

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 03:15:14 pm »
Great comment too Penthesilea!

You say this:
 think this would be marred by a flashback at this point. Additionally I think, it would have been too much, too Titanic-like, if you know what I mean. Overdone.

So I say this:
Instead of Overdone that would be, then get Ennis back in his trailer and he dreams of seeing Jack place Ennis's shirt into his!!

What do you say??

Hugs!!

Hmmm didn't you just say it was great 2 posts up?  ::)  :laugh:

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 03:26:55 pm »
Thanks RossInIllinois!

Yes, I did say that it was great idea that you have!
And I still think that it is!

Where to place such a scene is another question? Maybe?

What do you think?

Hugs!!