Author Topic: Stupid White Men: Don Imus' Racial Trash  (Read 12551 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Stupid White Men: Don Imus' Racial Trash
« on: April 10, 2007, 04:30:13 pm »
Don Imus.  By now, we all know what he said and MSNBC and CBS Radio have given him a two week vacation for saying it.  But is that penalty enough for the decrepit stable mate, the boneheaded buckaroo with the cowboy hat living in Connecticut, forever stuck in the past of his shock jock days.  Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson want him fired, but with their past, are they any better?  And what about the comments of El Rushbo about Michael J. Fox "faking" his Parkinson's symptoms, Ann Coulter for attacking gay people, 9/11 widows, anyone to the left of Attila the Hun, or "Dr." Michael Savage, who has used every ethnic slur in the book, especially if he thinks they are crossing the border into the United States.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 04:34:10 pm by Phillip Dampier »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Stupid White Men: Don Imus' Racial Trash
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 05:36:42 pm »
I say give him the two weeks. Then let people decide if they want to watch/listen him or not. I certainly never have.

I agree with your post. Many terrible and wrong things get said. Both in the media by the well known and on more personal levels. People should be held accountable for their words if they have said something offensive or plain wrong. I'm just not sure how long this should go on. And lets face it, that stupid Rush and mean, mean Savage stay on the air. I guess some people want to listen to their hate.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 06:46:10 pm »
Don Imus needs to get his ass fired (pardon my language). What he said was racist and biggoted; border line hate speech in my opinion. It doesn't matter whether such speech targets gay people, African Americans, Native Americans, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, ect.  What he said was rude, disgusting, hurtful and hateful.

The days of trashing people on the radio and television are coming to an end; THANK GOD. Don Imus probably knew better and he chose to say it anyway. And if he didn't know better, then he's too stupid to speak publicly on the American airwaves.

Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh need to have their asses fired too.  >:(  >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 07:19:19 pm »
OK, foreigner here: what did those people say, please?  Sounds bad anyhow???
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:16:51 pm »
I hate what he said, absolutely hated it.  He never, ever should have said such an ugly thing about those wonderful and amazing young women.

But somehow it sorta bothers me for people to get fired for saying stupid things.  Even as stupid and horrible and as revolting as that.

I don't know, what if people start getting fired for speaking out against important things, like war and prejudice and injustice?

Where does it end?

Even though I detest things he and others (Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc.) say sometimes much of the time.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 08:52:44 pm »
OK, foreigner here: what did those people say, please?  Sounds bad anyhow???

Isabelle, I sent you a pm about it.  :)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 01:28:15 am »
I can't stand the creep and would dearly love to see him canned, however, Free Speech is Free Speech, censure him for the inappropriateness of his words and be sure he knows that it will not be tolerated but you can't fire him for it.  Personally I think having to meet with those young women to offer a personal public apology will probably kill the old fart anyway.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 03:11:27 am »
Marlene and Dottie:

I agree. It IS free speech. And free speech is one of our rights in this country. But where do we draw the line?

Please understand that the following is not against any of you. I am using it as an example in order to make a point.  :)

What about the Ku Klux Klan? Is that free speech too? The KKK took over the Indiana government nearly 100 years ago.

http://www.statelib.lib.in.us/WWW/ISL/indiana/Klan.html

The Klan's popularity has diminished here over the years, but any observant Hoosier will admit that an occasional burning cross illuminating the Indiana night skies still happens here. Is this free speech too?

If a person chose to hang a banner from his porch declaring "Death To All Fags", should we defend his or her rights to free speech? What about a privately owned billboard on private property, but in plain view of a busy highway which read "Fags Burn In Hell" or "Catholics Are Not Welcome Here"?

Where do we draw the line? People will continue to test the waters of their "rights" until they figure out the tolerated  boundaries.

Free speech is wonderful, and I will gladly die to defend it. But free speech must also be tempered with responsibility. Unfortunately some in this country have forgotten this and continue to push their rights far beyond any reasonable limits.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 06:10:40 am »
Marlene and Dottie:

I agree. It IS free speech. And free speech is one of our rights in this country. But where do we draw the line?

Please understand that the following is not against any of you. I am using it as an example in order to make a point.  :)

What about the Ku Klux Klan? Is that free speech too? The KKK took over the Indiana government nearly 100 years ago.

http://www.statelib.lib.in.us/WWW/ISL/indiana/Klan.html

The Klan's popularity has diminished here over the years, but any observant Hoosier will admit that an occasional burning cross illuminating the Indiana night skies still happens here. Is this free speech too?

If a person chose to hang a banner from his porch declaring "Death To All Fags", should we defend his or her rights to free speech? What about a privately owned billboard on private property, but in plain view of a busy highway which read "Fags Burn In Hell" or "Catholics Are Not Welcome Here"?

Where do we draw the line? People will continue to test the waters of their "rights" until they figure out the tolerated  boundaries.

Free speech is wonderful, and I will gladly die to defend it. But free speech must also be tempered with responsibility. Unfortunately some in this country have forgotten this and continue to push their rights far beyond any reasonable limits.

I agree with David here. I am a staunch supporter of free speech but I agree that it should not be used to promote hatred or contempt towards certain groups.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Scott6373

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 07:38:01 am »
I've heard a few interesting points to chew on regarding Imus' idiocy.

1.  Why is he receiving such criticism for using the words he did, when you can
     buy any hip-hop or rap recoding and hear the very same sexist/racist words.  Is
     it OK for some to use that language but not others?

2.  Was it really racist, or was it sexist?  Where are the women's groups, and why
    aren't they enraged, as they rightfully should be?