Author Topic: The Book  (Read 2596 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
The Book
« on: April 16, 2007, 10:20:23 am »
I'm not sure this is the right place for this so I apologize if I'm in the wrong spot. I'm still learnin my way around.
What is the name of the book the story about Jack and Ennis is in? Is it Brokebackmountain?
I know there is a magazine article.s that all there is? I want to check it out and read the story.
Thanks
Lee
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Scott6373

Re: The Book
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:23:26 am »
I'm not sure this is the right place for this so I apologize if I'm in the wrong spot. I'm still learnin my way around.
What is the name of the book the story about Jack and Ennis is in? Is it Brokebackmountain?
I know there is a magazine article.s that all there is? I want to check it out and read the story.
Thanks
Lee

The story is called Brokeback Mountain, and it is published now in volume of short stories by Annie Proulx called Wyoming Stories.  You can also find it published separetly, but the entire book of stories is worth the time to read.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 10:27:53 am »
There is also a book called Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay which has the story, an early script, and some essays. The original story was published in The New Yorker Magazine on October 13, 1997.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:00:03 am »
Thanks y'all!
I just looked and my library has wyoming stories and Brokeback Mountain.
I can't wait to go get either one of the books.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 11:42:58 am »
You might also keep your eyes open for a copy of the October 13, 1997 issue of The New Yorker. It was here that Annie Proulx's original story 'Brokeback Mountain' was first published. There are some slight variations between this printing and subsequent ones, not least of them being the addition of the italicized prologue in all later publications. This prologue was always part of Proulx's conception of the story, but it was omitted in The New Yorker due to editorial oversight.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:54:04 am by moremojo »

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 04:46:54 pm »
Well, I just read the Story.
At first it was so different I wasn't sure I was going to like it but by the end I was in tears again.
I like that Ennis seemed softer in the book than he did on screen.
It was like he was saying he would have been with Jack if anything had been said before he married Alma.
It was good but just as sad.
I'm emotionally exhausted.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 01:20:12 am »
There is a discussion of the story over on the Arts & Entertainment forum. We'd be so happy if you joined us there.
"chewing gum and duct tape"