Author Topic: Exactly WHEN does Jack decide.. th 1st tent scene..is gonna be th 1s tent scene?  (Read 22784 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Hi Friends,

It is Ennis who announces he's not going up to the sheep, but staying in camp til first light (letting Jack know how long he has to make his move).  He doesn't have the courage to go into the tent at first, but he has enough courage that night to make himself available out there by the fire.  BTW, one of my favorite moments of the movie is that groan of Ennis's as he lies down on the ground.  And then he says something like, "Oh yeah, that's good," when Jack puts the blanket on him.  It's a pretty uninhibited thing for Ennis to say.

I respectfully disagree with this.....IMO neither Jack nor Ennis (especially Ennis) had no agenda that night other then to get some sleep.....one thing led to another and so on and so forth...

I think that they were both very much in love with one another but didn't realize it again JMO...

I don't even think there is a right or wrong answer....like Heath says "It presents more questions then it does answers."...thats the beautiful thing about it...

vkm91941

It is Ennis who announces he's not going up to the sheep, but staying in camp til first light (letting Jack know how long he has to make his move).  He doesn't have the courage to go into the tent at first, but he has enough courage that night to make himself available out there by the fire.  BTW, one of my favorite moments of the movie is that groan of Ennis's as he lies down on the ground.  And then he says something like, "Oh yeah, that's good," when Jack puts the blanket on him.  It's a pretty uninhibited thing for Ennis to say.

I'm having another of those twilight zone moments where I am certain we didn't watch the same movie....I didn't see any of this premediation and mechinations that ya'all are talkin about in either the story which I've read dozens of times or the film that I watch almost as many.  Hmmmm maybe our life experience really does color our perceptions in this instance...mine must be alot purer than I thought because I see none of the predatory behaviors in Jack that are described or the sexually passive agressive ones being attributed to Ennis. Hmmm more food for thought.

slayers_creek_oth

I'm having another of those twilight zone moments where I am certain we didn't watch the same movie....I didn't see any of this premediation and mechinations that ya'all are talkin about in either the story which I've read dozens of times or the film that I watch almost as many.  Hmmmm maybe our life experience really does color our perceptions in this instance...mine must be alot purer than I thought because I see none of the predatory behaviors in Jack that are described or the sexually passive agressive ones being attributed to Ennis. Hmmm more food for thought.

Agreed...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Hmmmm maybe our life experience really does color our perceptions in this instance...mine must be alot purer than I thought because I see none of the predatory behaviors in Jack that are described or the sexually passive agressive ones being attributed to Ennis. Hmmm more food for thought.

Me, I don't think of Ennis as consciously trying to initiate anything (aside from maybe being more open to Jack's overtures than he realizes).

I do see Jack consciously trying to initiate something, though -- in fact, he does! However, I'd hardly call hitting on someone you're really attracted to "predatory." If so, I'm in trouble and so are a lot of other people I know ...

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club

I respectfully disagree with this.....IMO neither Jack nor Ennis (especially Ennis) had no agenda that night other then to get some sleep.....one thing led to another and so on and so forth...

I think that they were both very much in love with one another but didn't realize it again.

I'm totally in agreement with Chris on this one.  No agenda, just some wonderfully good feelings that intesify the more they are together, the closer they get, and Jack always taking risks, even when the odds were against him.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline DeeDee

I think that they were both very much in love with one another but didn't realize it again.

I'm totally in agreement with Chris on this one.  No agenda, just some wonderfully good feelings that intesify the more they are together, the closer they get, and Jack always taking risks, even when the odds were against him.

The first time I saw the "dozy embrace",  it pleasantly surprised me because Jack did all the holding.
He held him in the tent scene (2) and again in bed and again when he collapsed in tears by the lake.  It seemed he was the one giving all the love and to see Ennis embrace him did my heart good.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Jack did all the holding.
He held him in the tent scene (2) and again in bed and again when he collapsed in tears by the lake.  It seemed he was the one giving all the love and to see Ennis embrace him did my heart good.

Me too. But also, what about the scene pictured in your avatar?

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
How did the word "preditor" start getting associated with Jack in this thread? I started the damn thing, and in my first post I said (something to the effect that): I don't mean to be callous. but if someone with sexual experience (no matter how little) wants someone with NONE, at some pont, there's going to be some kind of seduction"

I think we all admire, as well as love, both the guys. But Jack happened to fall in love with a man who is repressed, homophobic, and is as in need of love as he himself is, without having the advantage of Jack's openness of nature.  Perhaps, even, the qualities which keep Ennis from ever agreeing to live with Jack are some of the very qualities that make the Ennis that Jack loves.
CLICK TO (GREATLY) ENLARGE
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 03:03:35 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline DeeDee

Jack did all the holding.

Me too. But also, what about the scene pictured in your avatar?

I think that was a moment of passion not comfort.   I  just keep seeing Jack as the one doing all the comforting.  When I really think about it,  I realize what a wonderful character Jack Twist is.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Why Julie, what a beautiful photo! (I'm being funny -- as Julie knows, when I finally sat down to figure out how to make an avatar, I lifted the photo from a previous post of hers.)