Author Topic: Exactly WHEN does Jack decide.. th 1st tent scene..is gonna be th 1s tent scene?  (Read 22785 times)

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Why Julie, what a beautiful photo! (I'm being funny -- as Julie knows, when I finally sat down to figure out how to make an avatar, I lifted the photo from a previous post of hers.)

I think that is the sweetest picture of the whole movie.. When he can't look him in the eyes, I want to melt out of my seat. 
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
I think I have the same copy of the DVD as Victoria...
I don't see TS1 as being premediated in any way (nor do I think they were cruising each other from the beginning-I think they were curious and that curiousity opened the door for friendship, attraction and then love). I don't think Jack planned to get Ennis drunk so that he could seduce him., I don't think Ennis's declaration that he had not yet had the opportunity was an invitation though I do think he was flirting with Jack-he constantly flirts with Jack. I do think that the growing attaction between the 2 of them finally came to a head (he he he ) in TS1. Laying together drifting closer and closer and then Jack's move. Half asleep with Little Jack fully awake he just did what felt good.

I had a similar experience with my best friend's younger brother. We had know each other all of our lives and there was always some attraction but because he was the "little brother" we never took it seriously. Well, the evening of his (other) sister's wedding we ended up having to share a bed due to a full house of wedding guests. All through the night we would kinda half wake, move closer, go back to sleep. Just before dawn we were about as close as we were going to get and well, the rest is the family scandal  ;D

O0

Heathen

slayers_creek_oth

I think I have the same copy of the DVD as Victoria...
I don't see TS1 as being premediated in any way (nor do I think they were cruising each other from the beginning-I think they were curious and that curiousity opened the door for friendship, attraction and then love). I don't think Jack planned to get Ennis drunk so that he could seduce him., I don't think Ennis's declaration that he had not yet had the opportunity was an invitation though I do think he was flirting with Jack-he constantly flirts with Jack. I do think that the growing attaction between the 2 of them finally came to a head (he he he ) in TS1. Laying together drifting closer and closer and then Jack's move. Half asleep with Little Jack fully awake he just did what felt good.

Thats the DVD that I have too...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press

I had a similar experience with my best friend's younger brother. We had know each other all of our lives and there was always some attraction but because he was the "little brother" we never took it seriously. Well, the evening of his (other) sister's wedding we ended up having to share a bed due to a full house of wedding guests. All through the night we would kinda half wake, move closer, go back to sleep. Just before dawn we were about as close as we were going to get and well, the rest is the family scandal  ;D

O0

Doncha love it when those kids you've known forever suddenly grow up and turn into hunks? LOL We had a summer house in NH (I lived in NY at the time) so I had a group of summer friends that I would see for 3 months every year. The first transformation was "Tommy" who turned into "Tom" and to this day, I still think of as the Aztec Sun God (he was that good). The next summer it was Kevin who had been a dweeb but no longer. Boy, those were the good old days.

As for the tents, RouxB, I'm on board with your assessment.
L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Yup..they just...drift together...Jack doesn't do anytbhing...and I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you-but I've changed my mind about my sister; I'll keep her.

Please look at these two pictures CAREFULLY, LARGE...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
I Hate to fight about this beasutiful movie--I don't HAVE a DVD, just a lot of memories, a thoroughly corrected screenplay, and a bu nch of Youtubues...please stop saying you "have the same DVD" or a "different DVD." It's the same movie, even if all you can see of the first tent scene is MUD,,,and Jack is ALWAYS, ALWAYS the agressor, the comforter, the open one..how can you see it different;y?

Except for the reunion kiss; guess that caught him a bi off guard...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
Yup..they just...drift together...Jack doesn't do anytbhing...and I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you-but I've changed my mind about my sister; I'll keep her.

Please look at these two pictures CAREFULLY, LARGE...

That top picture is actually the exact moment of hesitation from Jack I was talking about in my other post.  He pauses for just a second like he's also surprised he just did what he did, then he goes for it and unbuttons his pants...

And no one is saying Jack did nothing, he was clearly the more open/aggressive one.  We're just saying that there was no elaborate plan on either Jack or Ennis's part.  And while I wouldn't say they just "drift together" exactly, I would say that that is a more accurate description of what happened than saying Jack purposefully got Ennis drunk so he could get him in the sack.  "Drifting together" seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable explaination of what happens when two people have a physical/emotional connection... they are bound to collide, even if the movements toward each other are slow and subtle, even if those emotions are denied.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

vkm91941

Well here's my 20 cents on this topic:

They began work mid-May and were brought down a month early, in the middle of August. Meaning they had 3 months together on Brokeback.  They were on the mountain for a full month before the first tent scene. We know this because a full moon is shown their first night (illuminating Jack sitting by his pup tent with the sheep, looking down at the fire Ennis has going in the main camp). And a full moon is shown the night they get it on. So it was a full month if not 2 full months. Plenty of time to get acquainted to watch and wonder to develop a fondness or attraction.  This is NOT about calculation or drifting into something.  It is so much more than that and to not see it cheapens it.

The first tent scene is all about the unleashing of passion, of fantasy built over weeks of longing looks and speculation by BOTH.  I do NOT think they planned it more it was a case of being in the right place at the right time with just enough liquor in their systems to loosen any inhibitions.  The way Jack holds on to Ennis, the way Ennis yearns toward Jack even when he's saying what are you doing..You see the exact moment when Jack makes the decision to go for what he wants when he removes his coat and unbuckles his belt, then the final decision is all up to Ennis and he goes for it.

In the second tent scene.  Actually those moments before the second tent scene when Ennis is sitting by the fire obviously struggling with should I or shouldn't I ...we can see Jack in the tent getting ready for bed ...Ennis looks over and then rises and walks towards the tent..we cut to a bare chested Jack obviously nervous contemplating well he or won't he and then Ennis is there at the tent flap, hat in hand and they lock eyes....priceless moment  Jack is so sweet and tender, Ennis is so shy.  I think it shows their love for each other nicely.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:46:17 am by vkm91941 »

slayers_creek_oth

Well here's my 20 cents on this topic:

They began work mid-May and were brought down a month early, in the middle of August. Meaning they had 3 months together on Brokeback.  They were on the mountain for a full month before the first tent scene. We know this because a full moon is shown their first night (illuminating Jack sitting by his pup tent with the sheep, looking down at the fire Ennis has going in the main camp). And a full moon is shown the night they get it on. So it was a full month if not full months. Plenty of time to get acquainted to watch and wonder to develop a fondness or attraction.  This NOT about calculation or drifting into something.  It is so much more than that and to not see it cheapens it.

The first tent scene is all about the unleashing of passion, of fantasy built over weeks of longing looks and speculation by BOTH.  I do NOT think they planned it…it was a case of being in the right place at the right time with just enough liquor in their systems to loosen any inhibitions.  The way Jack holds on to Ennis, the way Ennis yearns toward Jack even when he's saying what are you doing..You see the exact moment when Jack makes the decision to go for what he wants when he removes his coat and unbuckles his belt, then the final decision is all up to Ennis and he goes for it.

In the second tent scene.  Actually those moments before the second tent scene when Ennis is sitting by the fire obviously struggling with should I or shouldn't I ...we can see Jack in the tent getting ready for bed ...Ennis looks over and then rises and walks towards the tent..we cut to a bare chested Jack obviously nervous contemplating well he or won't he and then Ennis is there at the tent flap, hat in hand and they lock eyes....priceless moment  Jack is so sweet and tender, Ennis is so shy.  I think it shows their love for each other nicely.

Agreed 100% Vic!  Well said...

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
I'm with Chris, well said Vic! Took the words out of my mouth and said them better than I ever could!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73