Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Candy Bar?  (Read 72634 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What's Your Favorite Candy Bar?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »
salted caramel is all the rage here at the moment.  You can even get salted caramel coffees and hot chocolates.

One of my clients is a caramel maker. A little secret...most caramel has always contained salt!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 03:04:11 am »
Really? What kind of popcorn do they sell at the cinema? Do they sell popcorn at all at the cinema?

Of course popcorn belongs to the cinema experience! And of course it's sugared! I've never seen freshly made salted popcorn anywhere except at the German-American fairs (gosh, now that's some long ago memories, when I still lived in/around Heidelberg).
Freshly made popcorn at fairs or the theatre is always sweet. Salted popcorn comes in packages at big supermarkets. Buttered popcorn you don't get anywhere.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 03:09:09 am »
One of my clients is a caramel maker. A little secret...most caramel has always contained salt!!

Lots of sweet things contain a little salt, used as a spice; just like many hearty recepies contain a pinch of sugar.
But the salted caramel I'm speaking of really tastes (a little) salty.
Which reminds me of my grand-aunt. For her, salad was a sweet dish. She always put enough sugar in it that the whole salad tasted sweet. Hers was the only salad I liked when I was a kid. ;D :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2014, 08:18:15 pm »
Of course popcorn belongs to the cinema experience! And of course it's sugared! I've never seen freshly made salted popcorn anywhere except at the German-American fairs

I'm guessing that's like our 'kettle corn'.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2014, 08:20:20 pm »
then there's candy coated corn

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 09:12:12 pm »

then there's candy coated corn

--and there's--

I'm TOTALLY dating myself here, but--I LOVED Cracker Jack!--but I haven't tasted it in decades, but--

As Jeff would say--

Ou sont les neiges d'antan?  :(

:laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_Jack

Cracker Jack is an American brand of snack consisting of molasses-flavored candy-coated popcorn and peanuts, well known for being packaged with a prize of nominal value inside. The Cracker Jack name was registered in 1896. The slogan "The More You Eat The More You Want" was also registered that year. Some food historians consider it the first junk food. Cracker Jack is famous for its connection to baseball lore. The Cracker Jack brand has been owned and marketed by Frito-Lay since 1997.

Early beginnings
Frederick William Rueckheim—a German immigrant known informally as "Fritz"—sold popcorn at 113 Fourth Avenue, now known as Federal Street, in Chicago beginning in 1871. The popcorn was made by hand using steam equipment. In 1873, Fritz bought out his partner, Brinkmeyer, and brought his brother Louis Rueckheim over from Germany to join in his venture, forming the company F.W. Rueckheim & Bro. According to legend—an urban myth propagated to promote the brand by Borden Foods—states that Rueckheim produced a popcorn confection and presented it to the public at the World's Columbian Exposition (Chicago's first worlds fair) in 1893. There is no evidence that Rueckheim had an exhibit at the Columbian Exposition. In 1896 Louis discovered a method to separate the kernels of molasses coated popcorn during the manufacturing process. As each batch was mixed in a cement-mixer-like drum, a small quantity of oil was added—a closely guarded trade secret. Before this change, the mixture had been difficult to handle, as it stuck together in chunks.

(and etc.)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2014, 09:17:27 pm »

Lots of sweet things contain a little salt, used as a spice; just like many hearty recepies contain a pinch of sugar.
But the salted caramel I'm speaking of really tastes (a little) salty.
Which reminds me of my grand-aunt. For her, salad was a sweet dish. She always put enough sugar in it that the whole salad tasted sweet. Hers was the only salad I liked when I was a kid. ;D :laugh:

I put a pinch of sugar, a pinch of salt, a dash of lemon juice and a dash of olive oil in my salad dressing. Perfecto!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 12:35:44 am »
I'm TOTALLY dating myself here, but--I LOVED Cracker Jack!--but I haven't tasted it in decades, but--

I've had it the last time I was in NYC at - wait for it -

Cracker Jack is famous for its connection to baseball lore.

a baseball game! :laugh:
But since I don't do peanuts it was pretty annoying to sort the popcorn from the nuts and I won't have it again.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 06:11:52 am »
I was never a fan of cracker jack.   Tried it once, that was enough.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:15 am »
I was never a fan of cracker jack.   Tried it once, that was enough.

I find it too sweet. Never cared much for caramel corn, either, though lately I've found it to be OK.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.