Author Topic: Anybody seen El Laberinto del Fauno / Pan's Labyrinth?  (Read 6344 times)

mvansand76

Re: Anybody seen El Laberinto del Fauno / Pan's Labyrinth?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 10:25:19 am »
I just saw El Laberinto del Fauno, and it is defnitely one of the most original movies I have ever seen. I totally loved it, though it was so terribly sad. I didn't think violence was too crude. Perhaps it was stereotyped but I have read similar stories about the civil war. The post war was even more crude, especially out in the mountains. Franco was a very cruel dictator. Just recently, in Piedrafita, Leon, a common grave was found with hundreds of bodies belonging to members of the resistance. It was worse in the mountains, than in the cities as shown in the movie. And it lasted 40 years.

I think it is a thought provoking movie, and the fantasy enhances the reality of the war and violence. Something like Magic Realism. It is magical yet earthy.

Thanks for your review, yeah, I would call this movie one of the most original movies I have seen too. But, I am not sure I would like to see it again... and again.... and again like Brokeback...

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »
Absolutely one of the saddest films of the past year or so.   I thought The Pursuit of Happiness was a downer, at least for a while, but it's not even close to P.L., which is light years beyond it in terms of sadness.

The young girl was unbelievably great in it.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 05:33:02 am »
Absolutely one of the saddest films of the past year or so.   I thought The Pursuit of Happiness was a downer, at least for a while, but it's not even close to P.L., which is light years beyond it in terms of sadness.

The young girl was unbelievably great in it.

She was! I couldn't believe how good she was....

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 01:12:00 am »
I saw it.  I couldn't watch most of it.  Pan's Labyrinth was much too violent for my tastes!