Author Topic: The Return of Cowboy Etiquette  (Read 20930 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Return of Cowboy Etiquette
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 11:43:44 am »
I was thinking of St. Paul's admonition that a man should not pray with his head covered (I Corinthians 11:4).

Oh, OK. Interesting. Meanwhile, some religions and/or Christian denominations say women SHOULD have their heads covered in church. Why the double standard, I wonder? Maybe it's the fear that women's long lovely tresses would be too distracting?

But, oh, no, we're not allowed to talk about that any more.

What do you mean?  ???

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 12:18:49 pm »
Oh, OK. Interesting. Meanwhile, some religions and/or Christian denominations say women SHOULD have their heads covered in church. Why the double standard, I wonder? Maybe it's the fear that women's long lovely tresses would be too distracting?

That's a very ancient double standard, and in Christianity it goes back to the very same source, St. Paul (I Corinthians 11:5--the very next verse after the comment about men praying with their heads uncovered). I'm guessing, though, that one or both precepts actually go back beyond St. Paul to practices in the Jewish synagogue. Paul was raised and educated as a Pharisee, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was just bringing Jewish synagogue practice into the Gentile church. As for the ultimate why, however--just the patriarchal culture of the time, I guess.  :-\

What do you mean?  ???

I mean we're not "allowed" even to give a hint of being critical of how someone dresses for church.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 02:09:40 pm »
Why the double standard, I wonder? Maybe it's the fear that women's long lovely tresses would be too distracting?

Actually this is not far off the mark.  Even in modern orthodox synagogue's the women are separate from the men and the women have their heads covered at all time and may not read aloud.  This is because men are considered inherently sinful and the sight, sounds and smells of women will distract them from holy things....at least according to an orthodox rabbi acquaintance of mine  ;)
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 02:10:43 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 10:05:56 pm »
Top 10 Rodeo Cowboy Superstitions

1: A saddle bronc rider always puts the right foot in the stirrup first.

I just realized something about this one that confuses me. I thought horses were always mounted from the left--the horse's left--so how do you put the right foot in the stirrup first?

Are saddle broncs mounted differently?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 11:02:27 pm »
I just realized something about this one that confuses me. I thought horses were always mounted from the left--the horse's left--so how do you put the right foot in the stirrup first?

Are saddle broncs mounted differently?  ???

Well now I've personally never mounted one myself, my Daddy would have had heart failure and then tanned my backside  ;) but I have been to lots of rodeos in my youth and my experience is that Saddle Bronc's are mounted in the schute just like the bulls....the cowboy steps from the rail over the animal and takes his seat...mounting from the right kinda makes sense, at least in my foggy minds eye anyway, since most schutes swing open to the left and into the arena.  Bronc's are also rode different with the feet placed muched higher on the horses shoulders as he bucks.  Hope that helps...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 11:08:19 pm »
Well now I've personally never mounted one myself, my Daddy would have had heart failure and then tanned my backside  ;) but I have been to lots of rodeos in my youth and my experience is that Saddle Bronc's are mounted in the schute just like the bulls....the cowboy steps from the rail over the animal and takes his seat...mounting from the right kinda makes sense, at least in my foggy minds eye anyway, since most schutes swing open to the left and into the arena.  Bronc's are also rode different with the feet placed muched higher on the horses shoulders as he bucks.  Hope that helps...

Sure does! Thanks, Little Darlin'!  :D Shows you how much I know about horses and rodeos!  :laugh:

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 11:15:51 pm »
You can see what I mean in this photo of the Bronc right after he shoots out of the gate and the fella in back ground is swinging the gate shut.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 08:57:47 am »
You can see what I mean in this photo of the Bronc right after he shoots out of the gate and the fella in back ground is swinging the gate shut.

Ooooo-eeee! All four hoofs off the ground at once! Yeehaw! :D

injest

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 06:40:46 am »
OT

I have seen those saddle broncs buck so hard they went over forward doing a front flip!

The FUNNIEST thing I ever saw at a rodeo was in the steer wrestling; (for newbies: steer wrestling is where a cow about 9-12 months old is run out of a chute...a cowboy on a horse rides up beside it, jumps on it, grabs its horns and wrestles it to the ground - all at about 25 miles an hour!!  :laugh: ) anyway! this older man came roaring out, chasing his steer, got to it and jumped off his horse onto the steer, missed, and somehow hooked the front of his jeans on the steers horns! That steer tore the whole front of his jeans open and dumped him on the ground. Didn't hurt the guy PHYSICALLY but his EGO took one heck of a beating....fortunately he DID have a friend in the arena that offered his hat for covering (and ya'll thought those hats were just to shade the sun!!  ;) )