Author Topic: BM movie is anti-gay??  (Read 44797 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: BM movie is anti-gay??
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 02:42:32 pm »
Does it have to be labeled as pro-gay or anti-gay? "Brokeback Mountain" tells a story of 2 gay men who loved each other and who responded to that love in different ways. I just think it's pro-love maybe. It seems to urge people to be themselves and helps us see how a true love can be very painful. I think it makes people more willing to accept that love can come to them in all different ways.

Yes, that is very well said! thank you for summing up my feelings.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 02:53:10 pm »
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 02:56:16 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

I think that the Brokeback Mountain movie has flaws, and too many, but it is mainly an ANTI-GAY movie!!

I do not know if you are straight, gay or consider yourself something else?? That can make a difference!

I am a gay man. I see more and more that this movie is ANTI-GAY, and in many ways!!

This movie was made by straights, you know that?

Hugs!
Hi Artiste, thank you for your thoughts and your question.
To answer you, I am Gay.
 But I disagree with you that BBM is anti-Gay. It really is a realistic portrait of how some gay / bisexual men have lived and continue to live their lives in the closet. All of the pain, the lying, the frustrations, the collateral damage of wrecked marriages, emotionally hurting wives and children.
It is a very painful movie, but it shows the truth. Although, I have been "out" to most family and friends since I went off to college long ago, the love of my life was a deeply closeted man. He and I had a relationship that was also closeted, I didn't even discuss my love for Chris with my Gay friends. I guess I lead a double Gay life. But, he was the man that I loved. I dealt with so many problems thru the years that I couldn't write it all down in one setting. To sum up what I am trying to say :  I know that what Ennis and Jack experienced is true to life, I saw similar problems emerge for Chris as he and I grew older, and he continued to stay closeted and deep down inside homophobic.
I noticed your comment about how the movie was "made by straights". Well, yes that is true. And, I am IN AWE OF THE GENIUS of Ang Lee, Annie Proulx, the Mcmurty /Ossana team, Heath Ledger, and Jake Gyllenhaal for hitting a home run on this movie/ short story / screenplay.

All the best!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 03:53:24 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

I am in awe of Annie having written such a story; I do not think that she stresses violence as that capital, and if so, not that too much as in the movie!

We, as gay men, can be wishful thinking... but that is NOT enough!
Million (maybe millions) of gays from different countries were let into gas chambers in WW11 and from different countries (some were democratic ones)!! To-day, thousands of gay men are murdered legally (because only they are gay men) in too many so-called religious countries, such as islamic ones!! But no one talks that much nor try to stop that to-day, nor for the future. I think Annie tries to stop that NOW and for the future!!

That too much violence, is one way that it makes it anti-gay to me, this Brokeback Mountain movie!

Con artists are clever... indeed! And too many are violent, as passing themselves as peaceful, as drug pushers are!! But we gay men, tend to accept... too many con jobs!! ?? I still see, as some other gay men, too many negatives for gay men, in this BM movie!! Is it only wishful thinking to think that this movie is without flaw(s)??

Hugs!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 04:01:25 pm »
Hi Artiste!  :D

I'm sure Brokeback Mountain has some flaws. Nothing is perfect. But, I think BBM is probably as close to perfection as the movie industry has come so far. I can think of several movies about gay men and women that I consider nearly perfect, and BBM is definitely one of them. The movie showed society some of the injustices perpetrated against gay people, and it was done in a very raw and "in your face" sort of way. It helped (or is helping) to wake society and this is why I consider the movie groundbreaking.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2007, 04:06:26 pm »
Thanks David!

Somehow, that BM movie is not for gay men, hard to point that to you and to others!! ??

Hugs!

Scott6373

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2007, 02:42:51 pm »
The film and story are about homophobia, but not simply external homophobia.  It is largely about internalized homophobia, and the havoc and devastation it creates, not only for the individual, but for all those who love them.  In fact, I would go as far as to say, that it is entirely about internalized, rather than external oppression.  In that aspect, it can be viewed as tragedy, and a very well done tragedy at that.  Again, it depends on what the social situation is in 30 years.  It is still, however, a brilliant piece of film making.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2007, 08:04:21 pm »
Thanks Scott!

I think that I understand you, very well! You write brilliantly that!

I will try to understand much more too, your way, that way!!

I still feel that is is ALSO an anti-gay movie, especially the way it was cut? Do you?

Hugs!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 02:30:45 am »
I think scott said it beautifully. And no, I don't think it was antigay at all....
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 11:12:16 am »
Thanks brokebackjack, and thanks to you too Shasta (sorry I forgot you)!!

I still find the BM movie anti-gay in many ways, and I think too in some ways, hopefully, that it is pro-gay in a way!! That remains to be said with proofs, by all!!

Presently, I am concerned that many on different numerous internet sites, are angry at Ennis and Jack getting married!! Too many women are angry, I repeat, at the main charactors, because they got married!! Why?

Hugs!!