Author Topic: BM movie is anti-gay??  (Read 44911 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: BM movie is anti-gay??
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 11:08:27 am »
I still find the BM movie anti-gay in many ways, and I think too in some ways, hopefully, that it is pro-gay in a way!! That remains to be said with proofs, by all!!

You been repeating that for three pages now, but as yet no examples to back it up.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 12:48:57 pm »
Thanks  Marge_Innavera!

I think that I did! Did you bring proofs otherwise?

Any way, you consider likely pro-female here this BM film since you are a woman? Right? Like Ennis and Jack should NOT have married??

May I guess? Awaiting your replies,

hugs!

Scott6373

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 12:58:11 pm »
Thanks  Marge_Innavera!

I think that I did! Did you bring proofs otherwise?

Any way, you consider likely pro-female here this BM film since you are a woman? Right? Like Ennis and Jack should NOT have married??

May I guess? Awaiting your replies,

hugs!

You seem to be falling into the same trap that many have when discussing the choices that these characters made in their respective lives.  You are judging them and their behavior by todays standards, level of knowledge and understanding.  You cannot apply the sensibilities of today to these characters.  This is a period piece, and that fact seems to get very lost in your argument.  In 1963, it was not at all uncommon for gay men and women to marry (the opposite sex).

Offline Artiste

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 09:59:08 am »
Yesterday, I tried to answer you, but my writing vanished.

Have no time to-day right now to do so.

Later?

At least, you all can think pros and cons (both) on this subject?

Hugs!

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 02:18:56 pm »
The film and story are about homophobia, but not simply external homophobia.  It is largely about internalized homophobia, and the havoc and devastation it creates, not only for the individual, but for all those who love them.  In fact, I would go as far as to say, that it is entirely about internalized, rather than external oppression.  In that aspect, it can be viewed as tragedy, and a very well done tragedy at that.  Again, it depends on what the social situation is in 30 years.  It is still, however, a brilliant piece of film making.

Scott, that is exactly the way I see the homophobia in this movie, more an internalized homophobia particularly for Ennis, than an external homophobia. As I mentioned in another post somewhere, there really is very little sad about homosexuality from the straight people in the movie. Aguirre comes the closest to expressing homophobia. I still say a lot of what Alma says is more about jealousy and not understanding the situation.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 06:59:02 pm »
There are a lot of things that makes the Brokeback Mountain movie in its present form, an anti-gay one!

One thing is exactly Ennis's wife... as she seems obviously anti-gay after ALL these years! It is much more than jealousy! That is likely why many or too many women dislike the two main gays in this movie, and tends to be therefore, anti-gay!

Is that so too done that way by Annie?

Hugs!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 11:28:04 pm »
If IIIIIIIII was Alma, and he had told ME 'Once Burned', I would have hit him with that plate. And that's not anti-gay that's anti-dumbbell of an ex husband!!!

He was burned?? omg
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2007, 09:14:02 am »
There are a lot of things that makes the Brokeback Mountain movie in its present form, an anti-gay one!

One thing is exactly Ennis's wife... as she seems obviously anti-gay after ALL these years! It is much more than jealousy! That is likely why many or too many women dislike the two main gays in this movie, and tends to be therefore, anti-gay!

Artiste, I think if Alma was a fagarella, there would not be much of a plot line in the book. The strait woman I know that saw it don't hate Jack & Ennis although they were thoroughly shocked by the FNIT scene.

TampaTalon ^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Artiste

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2007, 10:10:21 am »
Since I do NOT understand the last 3 of you, I am asking you to elaborate... please.

Awaiting your news,

hugs!!!

Scott6373

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007, 10:11:37 am »
Hell I am still waiting for you to explain what makes Brokeback Mountain an anti-gay movie?