Author Topic: BM movie is anti-gay??  (Read 44513 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: BM movie is anti-gay??
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2007, 04:50:27 pm »
Wow, and thanks brokeplex!

I did not know that you are a young stud!  Be assured that I am glad of your comment(s) and thoughts, as well as details. And that I seek more from you (and from others too) may I say!!

I still say that the BM film is anti-gay in many ways... may I re-insert!! (Of course some aspects of it seem or are pro-gay, but the anti-gay ones need to be addressed too I fear!!) This is simply not easy for me to comment on... nor to straights nor to gays especially about it being anti-gay!!  As the movie is complex, so is it that it presents too much an anti-gay feeling about it!! I am not the only one gay to say that! I know of straights not to like it too! I have viewed alone again this film yesterday, for the third time, because the first or second times were too much hardships for me and/or for my brother. 

Gays, some or many, do feel that it is anti-gay!! ?? You know that?

You do seem to sum up that the BM movie is pro-gay, is that so?

I agree with you that this film is offered to a mass audience for the first time as a gay one. But it does so for much more a straight audience?

Hugs!

P.S. Have you seen the movie: LOVE?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2007, 05:14:12 pm »
Wow, and thanks brokeplex!

I did not know that you are a young stud! 

You are a delight Artiste! You have just made D.L. ,who is looking over my shoulder at the web site laugh out loud, he is a 26 year old version of Ennis Del Mar (he doesn't laugh much), and I'm still 51 years old! later on Artiste........

Offline Artiste

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2007, 05:19:46 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You are making me laugh too at your delightful heartfelt comment!!

Will D.L. wear Ennis clothes too??

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2007, 05:25:57 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You are making me laugh too at your delightful heartfelt comment!!

Will D.L. wear Ennis clothes too??

Hugs!
sometimes he does get a little bit cowboy....I think I'll send you a private message as we are using up thread space for personal messages.Sorry!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2007, 05:29:58 pm »
Thanks!

Does D.L. think that the BM movie is pro-gay or anti-gay??

In some parts or mainly so??

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2007, 11:03:41 pm »
Thanks!

Does D.L. think that the BM movie is pro-gay or anti-gay??

In some parts or mainly so??

Hugs!

D.L. is a closeted man who is making the slow and painful adjustments towards acceptance of his feelings and his nature. The first time, he watched the movie was on DVD in my house with the blinds shut tight. He never would go to the theater with me to see it, he even called it "that gay sheepherder movie" and smirked at me. One day, last summe just before I left for my weeks up in Montana,I caught him just staring at my "Brokeback Mountain" DVD with a kind of regretful look on his face, he didn't know I was watching him. I quietly slinked away so that he couldn't see that I had seen him. Later I asked him, "well, so what movie do you want to watch with your popcorn, how about a great old classic sci-fi like "Forbidden Planet" (one of my all time favorites). He didn't say anything, he just walked over to the DVD player and popped in "Brokeback Mountain". I maintained absolute silence for two hours except for grabbing his glass each time he emptied it and filling it up again.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2007, 11:26:46 am »
Wow, Brokeplex, you sure can write great!

I did not dare go to the cinema with my gay brother and his friend... last year or two years ago? But I did bug him more than once to give me details afterwards about the BM movie, which he stated was a period piece of the 60's! And that shocked me, as I think that he found it violent? ! And very sad!

Then, I think I discovered parts of the film on the internet like on YouTube?

So this year when I visited another brother down south, I managed to get the BM movie when I went with him to rent films! He, a straight, did not know about it! But when it started with Ennis backing Jack in that sex tent, my brother quickly stopped that part, yelling, and advanced the movie to one of the next parts! Wonder why?

I too the second time I saw the BM movie was in mother's kitchen, but I found it too violent and too sad!! I could not cope for months!! So I did think that maybe I should pull down the drapes, but I did not. Persons passing by could easily see what I watched. That was last year. And last Saturday late afternon alone here, I watched it for the 3rd time. Again, it came to my mind to pull the draps for safety comfort, as I am still afraid of someone seeing me and beating me up! I lost my previous house to a criminal whom I fought for over 20 years, and who sent 4 persons to hit me and leave me for dead!! So watching the BM with open blinds is quite a task for me, even at my mother's house! WE have now troubles with the immediate back neighbours, and maybe because I am a gay man?? !!

You details of D.L. are warm. I still would like to now if he finds that BM movie pro-gay or anti-gay?? And at which period of his life he sees it?? !!

And/or givefurtherly your thoughts  of him and that?

Hugs!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2007, 11:45:40 am »
Oh that stunned feeling when one first sees Brokeback. I remember leaving the theatre numb. What was I feeling? Words had no description and I have been lost in the world of Brokeback ever since or should I say that I have found my way because of Brokeback. It has lead me to validate my own existance and and finished the story in my own life. I admire Aritiste that you are opening doors for the next generation by standing up to the anti-Gays. You have a great resevoir!

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Artiste

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2007, 12:13:35 pm »
Thanks tampatalon!

It is a gray and dark day here even at 11 this morning, you bring in the sunshine to my heart!!

Like you tampatalon, I am puzzled as well as happy about the BM movie, and still find it hard. I did find it too hard before I met you all at Bettermost. So, you all have helped me... and others! Thanks! Your continued friendship, courage, details of your lives, etc., help tremendously! I don't know if I could survived otherwise that good!

Three years and two years ago, the BM movie as trailer parts helped me as I played that over and over again the many days I was in the art gallery in Quebec City... as I felt so lonely! That to see and heard words and music helped me, but somehow disturbed me further!!  Is this movie anti-gay? That never came to my mind then thank goodness!!

I continued at times to play it, even sometimes when visitors came in!! One day a young couple came in, and maybe I had the BM trailer on. So they looked at my paintings I created that year, and suddenly, she said she did not believe in God! She exclaimed frankly that!! He was so surpised that he was shocked! They talked about that as a subject!! It was frank! I do not know if they are now married, as they had planned or they are now separated!! Did my paintings create such? Or now I think that maybe the BM movie trailer did?

If the BM movie is anti-gay, is it anti-god? If the BM movie is pro-gay, is it anti-god or pro-god? Should I ask that as a question?  Because of my up-bringing and because of my hard times in life as well as being a gay man, I do know that their is God, but why some do not?  If the BM film is pro or against God, does it affect more a gay man to think about God ??

At least the BM film helps us, in many ways!! Guess this is a day to be puzzled about that subject too as well as if the BM movie is maybe or not anti-gay??

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2007, 10:59:32 am »
Wow, Brokeplex, you sure can write great!

I did not dare go to the cinema with my gay brother and his friend... last year or two years ago? But I did bug him more than once to give me details afterwards about the BM movie, which he stated was a period piece of the 60's! And that shocked me, as I think that he found it violent? ! And very sad!

Then, I think I discovered parts of the film on the internet like on YouTube?

So this year when I visited another brother down south, I managed to get the BM movie when I went with him to rent films! He, a straight, did not know about it! But when it started with Ennis backing Jack in that sex tent, my brother quickly stopped that part, yelling, and advanced the movie to one of the next parts! Wonder why?

I too the second time I saw the BM movie was in mother's kitchen, but I found it too violent and too sad!! I could not cope for months!! So I did think that maybe I should pull down the drapes, but I did not. Persons passing by could easily see what I watched. That was last year. And last Saturday late afternon alone here, I watched it for the 3rd time. Again, it came to my mind to pull the draps for safety comfort, as I am still afraid of someone seeing me and beating me up! I lost my previous house to a criminal whom I fought for over 20 years, and who sent 4 persons to hit me and leave me for dead!! So watching the BM with open blinds is quite a task for me, even at my mother's house! WE have now troubles with the immediate back neighbours, and maybe because I am a gay man?? !!

You details of D.L. are warm. I still would like to now if he finds that BM movie pro-gay or anti-gay?? And at which period of his life he sees it?? !!

And/or givefurtherly your thoughts  of him and that?

Hugs!

Artiste! Sorry about all of the pain you have felt. There are many very angry people out there who look for victims. We simply must refuse to be victims. To answer your question as to whether D.L. considers the movie to be "Pro or Anti-Gay". D.L. does not see the movie in those terms. He understands how the closet and homophobia doomed Jack and Ennis, especially as I have told him in great detail the love I shared with Chris and my frustrations thru the decades with that relationship with a closeted man. He does see to a large extent how all of this relates to him, but DENIAL is not only a river in Egypt. We have plenty of "deniability" here in Texas, and D.L. is partially in denial. But he has made so much progress, he is a very different person than he was just 5 years ago when I met him. As I tell him, acceptance of ourselves is a long journey, and I offer D.L. as much patience as he needs and more. I never push, I just gently guide him along on his journey.