Author Topic: Harry Potter...for friends and fans alike  (Read 21101 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Harry Potter...for friends and fans alike
« on: May 15, 2007, 05:51:33 am »
Long before BBM, I was hooked on Harry Potter and I am looking forward to the release of the 7th book this summer. I am sure we will have a frenzy of Potter-stuff in the coming weeks and months. Here's an interesting article which discusses writing related to Harry.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/arts/articles/0514potterbook0514.html

'Deathly Hallows' may end Harry Potter offshoots
Jeffrey A. Trachtenberg
The Wall Street Journal
May. 14, 2007 12:00 AM

When J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" hits bookstores July 21, it will, as virtually everyone knows, mark the end of a 10-year run of seven books that have made publishing history.

But the series has spawned a whole literary ecosystem, with new offshoots expected to spring up as never before during these next few months. Hordes of adventuresome publishers are out there already, and others will be trying to cash in with books that predict what could happen in the final Potter title, provide behind-the-scenes analysis, or just plain ride piggy-back.

At least a dozen new or updated Harry Potter-related titles will likely be published this year, according to Cambridge Information Group Inc.'s R.R. Bowker. These aren't the kind of faux Potter fantasy tales that are posted on the Web, though there are plenty of those. (One site, harrypotterfanfiction.com, says it holds more than 34,000 stories and receives in excess of 40 million hits a month.)

Rather, these are works of nonfiction fueled by online Harry Potter communities that have kept the faith since the publication two years ago of the most recent book in the series, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince." They include titles such as "The Making of the Potterverse: A Month-by-Month Look at Harry's First 10 Years" by Edward Gross, and George Beahm's "Muggles and Magic: An Unofficial Guide to J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon." In the fall, readers will also be offered Tere Stouffer's "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter."

Already there are more than 190 Harry Potter-related titles in print, according to R.R. Bowker. Among the more unusual: "If Harry Potter Ran General Electric: Leadership Wisdom From the World of Wizards" by Tom Morris published in 2006. There's also "Harry Potter and Torah," which Dov Krulwich self-published late last year. Mr. Krulwich, who works in the high-tech industry in Israel, describes the book as "Jewish perspectives on Harry Potter themes" and says it is aimed at teens and young adults.

The recent titles that mainly speculate on how the whole series will end will be so much "worm food in the landfill" as soon as "Hallows" hits the stores, says John Granger, who has written several Harry Potter-related titles, including the recently published "Unlocking Harry Potter: Five Keys for the Serious Reader." (One key: literary alchemy. "J.K. Rowling said in 1999 that she read a ridiculous amount about alchemy before she started writing the books," Mr. Granger says. "Hermione means mercury, for example, and sure enough her parents are dentists and her initials are H.G. Hg is the chemical symbol for mercury on the periodic table of elements.")

But the likelihood of a short shelf life isn't stopping publishers from moving quickly while interest is still high. "My suspicion is that there will be a rush of books after the series ends," says Daniel Nexon, an assistant professor in the government department at Georgetown University who co-edited "Harry Potter and International Relations," published last year by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers Inc. "Having the final book out will generate a lot of buzz, and they'll look at that frenzy as one last big marketing opportunity."

Book retailers are also mindful that nothing drives traffic to their stores like Harry Potter. Borders Group Inc., the nation's second largest book chain, has struck exclusive deals to sell two related Potter books: "The Great Snape Debate" and "The Unauthorized Harry Potter." The first has a gimmick that harks back to the early days of science fiction: the book must be turned upside down in order to read the counter argument regarding Snape's allegiances. The second title offers a broad perspective on various subjects Ms. Rowling has raised in her six published books.

Borders also has a Harry Potter page at the social community site Gather.com. One topic in particular - "Severus Snape: Friend or Foe?" - has generated more than 900 comments. Some are as basic as "Yeah, there is going to be a major plot twist." But others provide lengthy, thoughtful analysis. "This is the last hurrah for fans," says Anne Roman, a Borders spokeswoman. "When will they ever get to enjoy this level of interest again?"

Much like George Lucas's "Star Wars" films and Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code," the Harry Potter books are whales to which many barnacles have attached themselves. Scholastic Corp., which publishes the series in the U.S., says there are 121.5 million Harry Potter books in print, with another 12 million set to be published July 21. The Harry Potter franchise has also benefited from four successful movies. The fifth, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," will open July 13.

There are limits. Copyright law will prevent other authors from offering new titles using Ms. Rowling's characters and settings unless they're obvious parodies. "Boundaries exist," says David S. Korzenik, a publishing attorney with the firm Miller Korzenik Sommers LLP. "Characters can be copyrighted, and settings can be protected," he says. "But if you are doing a parody you can go forward with the understanding that the parody won't be book eight or nine of the series but rather is trying to deliver something very different or transformative."

Most authors don't challenge amateur authors who write tales about favorite characters as long as it's not commercially distributed, he says. While it's technically a copyright infringement, "fan fiction" is usually perceived as a way for fans to enjoy themselves while creating further interest in the original work. "Nobody views it as a substitute," says Mr. Korzenik. Guidebooks and predictions of future events are protected as well, as long as authors don't borrow too heavily from Ms. Rowling's work.

Ms. Rowling will come under significant pressure from fans if she doesn't wrap up all the various plotlines she has created since the first book, "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone," was published in 1997 in the U.K. "They'll be clamoring for more," says literary agent Ann Rittenberg, whose 13-year-old daughter, Gracie, has already expressed regret that the series is coming to a close.

What will Ms. Rowling do next? Efforts to reach her weren't successful. However, last August, she gave a reading in New York City and later answered questions from the audience. At one point, when asked about her future, she replied: "I have a shorter, mercifully, book for I think slightly younger children that is half-written, so I may well go back to that when Harry's done."

It's likely that all related corners of the thriving Potter publishing industry will eventually slow once the final Harry Potter adventure is published. "We'll probably see fewer titles. The energy that comes from a release of a new book in the series will be over," says Roger Scholl, the editorial director of Bertelsmann AG's Currency/Doubleday business imprint, who edited Tom Morris's "If Harry Potter Ran General Electric."

Still, some caution against underestimating the passion of Harry Potter readers. Mr. Granger, an English teacher at Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, Pa., says academics will attempt to fix Ms. Rowling's place in the cultural firmament, much as they continue to do so for such writers as Charles Dickens and Agatha Christie. "I'm fairly certain Potter-mania will not go the way of disco and the hula-hoop," says Mr. Granger, who is currently working on "Harry Meets Hamlet and Scrooge," that will explore Harry's literary antecedents.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Harry Potter...for friends and fans alike
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:58:39 am »
Another article...there may be an 8th book!

Harry Potter Encyclopedia To Follow Rowling's Seventh Book

BY JAMES LANGTON - The Sunday Telegraph
May 14, 2007
URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/54419

Whatever the fate of Harry Potter in his final book, one thing seemed sure: There would be a parting of the ways from J.K. Rowling.

Now, however, it appears that the seventh volume in the series may not spell the end of their relationship after all.

The multimillionaire writer is understood to be preparing for one last look at the world of Harry, Hermione, Dumbledore, and Voldemort after the publication of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" in July.

Using background notes from the past decade, Ms. Rowling, 41, is set to compile an encyclopedia of magic to create the ultimate guide to the world of wizardry.

It would cover figures such as the founders of the Hogwarts school, along with elaborate genealogies of the main characters.

It would also provide a chance to flesh out other figures who merit only a passing mention in the books.

In March, Ms. Rowling described her sadness at reaching the end of the series.

"I always knew that Harry's story would end with the seventh book, but saying goodbye has been just as hard as I always knew it would be," she wrote on her Web site.

"I've never felt such a mixture of extreme emotions in my life, never dreamed I could feel simultaneously heartbroken and euphoric."

But suggestions of the plan have now appeared on her Web site, JKRowling.com.

Despite telling fans that it was "highly unlikely" that she would write any more Harry Potter novels, she wrote: "I might do an eighth book for charity, a kind of encyclopedia of the world so that I could use all the extra material that's not in the books."

The tantalizing possibility has been confirmed by her agent, Christopher Little, who said Ms. Rowling had "retained all the rights in the Harry Potter series" and pointed out that this included any companion books "which she may indeed write herself."

The prospect of an authorized Harry Potter encyclopedia will have fans and booksellers salivating. Ms. Rowling's notes are believed to be almost as detailed as those made by J.R.R. Tolkien for his fantasy Middle Earth, the setting of "The Hobbit" and his "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Sales of the encyclopedia would almost certainly rival those of "Deathly Hallows," which has advance sales of 1.5 million on the Internet store Amazon alone. It is tipped to break publishing records when it goes on worldwide sale on July 21.

An industry of Harry Potter books already exists. In addition to the seven books by Ms. Rowling, there are estimated to be about 190 Harry Potter-related titles cashing in on the success of the series, including "What Will Happen in Book 7?," a book of predictions from the Harry Potter fan site MuggleNet.com, which has sold 300,000 copies in America. Other titles include a business book called "If Harry Potter Ran General Electric" and "Harry Potter and the Torah," which offers a Jewish perspective.

In 2001, Ms. Rowling wrote two slim companion Hogwarts schoolbooks. "Quidditch Through the Ages" and "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" have raised more than $30 million for Comic Relief.

George Beahm, an American author who has written the bestselling "Muggles and Magic: An Unofficial Guide to J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon," said, "I certainly think there is room for more books given the place of the Harry Potter series in the fictional universe."

"For my part, I've made no great riches — but it's been a lot of fun," he added.

Ms. Rowling, who as a penniless single mother living in Edinburgh in the early 1990s struggled to find a publisher for the first book, has seen her life transformed by the Harry Potter phenomenon. Now the richest woman in Britain with an estimated fortune of about $1.1 billion, she is married to Neil Murray, a doctor.

They have two young children in addition to Ms. Rowling's daughter from her first marriage to Jorge Arantes, a Portuguese television journalist. Meanwhile, her writing talents have helped to create one of the world's most successful brands.

With reports that the author is in negotiations to build a Harry Potter theme park in Florida, the bespectacled boy wizard now rivals Disney's Mickey Mouse as a corporate cash machine.

The fifth film in the series, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," starring Daniel Radcliffe as Harry, opens on July 13 and is expected to rival newly released "Spider-Man 3" for the biggest box office opening weekend in history.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:35:14 am »
Okay, so I finished reading book 5. I still don't understand why some people think JK Rowling will kill Harry. It will destroy the entire plot. I hope she realizes it. In fact, she has been hinting at the contrary. Neither can live while the other survives, says the prophecy. I still have to read book 6th but so far Harry's death won't make sense IMO.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 10:09:56 am »

I agree Natalie;  but she is a bit of a quirky one...so you never can tell what she may do.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:02:06 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 11:43:09 am »
spoiler,

I think Dumbledore asked Snape to kill him off.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 02:25:38 pm »
For those who are interested in Harry Potter.

How Harry Potter took over the world

NEW YORK (AP) -- As the Harry Potter series wraps up this summer, we can look back at two remarkable narratives: Potter the boy wizard and Potter the cultural phenomenon.

Potter the wizard's fate will be known July 21 with the release of "Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows," Book 7 of J.K. Rowling's fantasy epic. (The movie of the fifth book, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," comes out July 11.) Worldwide sales of the first six books already top 325 million copies and the first printing for "Deathly Hallows" is 12 million in the United States alone.

Potter the phenomenon doesn't compare for suspense, but like the wizard's tale, it is unique and extraordinary and well placed in tradition. Like "Star Wars" and "Star Trek," it is the story of how a work of popular art becomes a world of its own -- imitated, merchandised and analyzed, immortalized not by the marketers, but by the fans.

"Every phenomenon is a kind of myth unto itself, a myth about how a phenomenon becomes a phenomenon. The story of how the public embraced Potter only gives more momentum to Potter in our culture," says Neal Gabler, an author and cultural critic whose books include "Walt Disney" and "Life the Movie: How Entertainment Conquered Reality."

True phenomena are never planned. Not "Star Trek," a series canceled after three seasons by NBC; or "Star Wars," rejected throughout Hollywood before taken on by 20th Century Fox, which didn't bother pushing for merchandising or sequel rights. The public knew better -- the young people who screamed for the Beatles or watched "Star Wars" dozens of times or carried on for years about "Star Trek" after its cancellation.

In the beginning, "Harry Potter" simply needed a home. Several British publishers turned down Rowling, believing her manuscript too long and/or too slow, before the Bloomsbury Press signed her up in 1996, for $4,000 and a warning not to expect to get rich from writing children's books. An American publisher had bigger ideas: Scholastic editor Arthur A. Levine acquired U.S. rights for $105,000.

"I can vividly remember reading the manuscript and thinking, 'This reminds me of Roald Dahl,' an author of such skill, an author with a unique ability to be funny and cutting and exciting at the same time," Levine says.

"But I could not possibly have had the expectation we would be printing 12 million copies for one book ('Deathly Hallows'). That's beyond anyone's experience. I would have had to be literally insane."

For the media, the biggest news at first was Rowling herself: an unemployed, single English mother who gets the idea for a fantasy series while stuck on a train between Manchester and London, finishes the manuscript in the cafes of Edinburgh, Scotland, and finds herself compared, in more than one publication, to Dahl.

"In fact, if there is a downside to Rowling's story it is the distinct danger she will be called 'The New Roald Dahl,' which would be an albatross around her slender shoulders," the Glasgow-based The Herald warned in June 1997 with publication of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone," the first Potter book.

"Philosopher's Stone" was released in England during business hours with a tiny first printing. Bloomsbury suggested that Rowling use initials instead of her real name, Joanne, out of fear that boys wouldn't read a book by a woman.

The book quickly became a commercial and critical favorite and just kept selling. In July 1998, the Guardian in London noted that Rowling was more popular than John Grisham and declared "The Harry Potter books have become a phenomenon." At the time, "Philosopher's Stone" had sold 70,000 copies.

The first book came out in the United States in September 1998, renamed "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for young Americans and promoted by "Meet Harry Potter" buttons. Potter was first mentioned by The Associated Press that November, when Rowling was interviewed in New York during a five-city U.S. tour. Potter appeared a month later in The New York Times, cited well down in a roundup of holiday favorites.

"When the Potter books first came out, we didn't know they would sell millions of copies, but we all read them and loved them and we thought they were the kinds of books that would really grab a child. We hand-sold the heck out of them, the same way we would with any book that was so well written," says Beth Puffer, manager of the Bank Street Bookstore in New York City.

By January 1999, the AP was calling Potter a sensation, noting in a brief item that "Joanne Rowling has gone from hard-up single mother to literary phenomenon." In July 1999, the "p-word" appeared in long articles in the Los Angeles Times, Publishers Weekly and the Times, which observed that "Hannibal Lecter and Harry Potter are shaping up as the summer's must reads," but then added, with a bit of a wink, "Harry who?"

By 2000, Harry was a friend to millions, the toast of midnight book parties around the world. For a time, the first three Potter books held the top positions on the Times' hardcover fiction list of best sellers, leading the newspaper to create a separate category for children's books. The fourth work, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," had a first printing of 3.8 million in the United States alone. The release date became 12:01 a.m., sharp, "so everyone could come to it at the same time -- no spoilers!" according to Scholastic spokeswoman Kyle Good.

Potter was pulling in all ages. Rene Kirkpatrick, a buyer for All for Kids Books & Music, an independent store based in Seattle, says the appeal to grown-ups set Potter apart. She began noticing that adults not only read Rowling, but would browse through other titles in the children's fantasy section.

"People were beginning to realize that there was some extraordinary literature written for people under 19," she says. "It doesn't feel odd anymore for adults to be seen reading children's books. ... Potter has made a big difference."

"Potter has greatly expanded the real estate for young adult fiction," says Doug Whiteman, president of the Penguin Young Readers Group, a division of Penguin Group (USA). "The teen section of a bookstore is now quite a substantial area, shopped in not only by teens, but by parents."

Meanwhile, Potter was alive and breeding on the Internet, thanks to fan sites such as The Leaky Cauldron (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/) and Mugglenet (http://www.mugglenet.com). Potter Web masters Melissa Anelli of Leaky Cauldron and Emerson Spartz of Mugglenet agree that between 2000 and 2003 the Potter galaxy exploded again, from publishing phenomenon to cultural phenomenon. Spartz notes the release of the first Potter movie, in 2001. Anelli refers to the three-year wait for book five, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."

"Around 2000, message boards, mailing lists, blogs were starting to form into the community hubs we have now. So the fans, who were desperately awaiting word on the fifth book ... obsessed together on the Internet, writing their own fan fiction, having huge discussions picking every last piece of the canon apart and finding whatever way possible to make the wait tolerable," says Anelli, who is writing a history of Potter, due out in 2008.

"This built on itself exponentially until, by the time the fifth book came out in 2003, there was a rabid, active, flourishing online community that was spilling off the Net and into bookstores."

No longer was Rowling called the new Dahl. Now, publishers looked for the next J.K. Rowling. Countless works, from Cornelia Funke's "The Thief Lord" to Christopher Paolini's "Eragon," were compared to Potter. Again, a common symptom, like all the "new Bob Dylans" or the science fiction projects that followed "Star Wars," including the first "Star Trek" movie.

Along with imitators come the products: Beatle wigs, "Star Wars" sabers, "Star Trek" clocks, Harry Potter glasses. And along with the products come the spinoffs, whether business books such as Tom Morris' "If Harry Potter Ran General Electric," or Neil Mulholland's "The Psychology of Harry Potter" or John Granger's "Looking for God in Harry Potter."

"I think the reason that authors write books about J.K. Rowling's works and readers buy them is because being a fan of Harry Potter is about much more than just reading and enjoying Ms. Rowling's book series," says Jennifer Heddle, an editor at Pocket Books, a division of Simon & Schuster that is publishing Anelli and has released more than 100 "Star Trek" related titles.

"I think it is similar to 'Star Trek' in that it takes place in a richly imagined world that invites fans to immerse themselves in every aspect. I think it's even closer to 'Star Wars' because it's also a very mythic story that appeals to a broad audience that crosses all age and gender lines."

Unbounded by age or format, phenomena are amphibious creatures: The Beatles were sensations on television and film and in books, which continue to come out, and sell, more than 30 years after their breakup. "Star Trek" produced a string of popular TV spin-offs and was adapted into a series of hit films, video games and novels, just as "Star Wars" inspired its own line of best-selling books and games. A live-action TV series is planned for 2009.

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the fifth Potter film, is a guaranteed blockbuster. The first four Potter movies have grossed more than $3 billion worldwide, and sales for the soundtracks top 1 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan, which tracks the retail market. Potter is the rare literary series to inspire a video game and is expected to have a theme park, in Orlando, Florida, by 2010.

While fads fade out, phenomena last, thanks to the same folks who got them started: the fans, the people who hold "Star Wars" conventions, play Beatles songs for their children, post their own "Star Trek" videos online or the Potter fans around the world already vowing to continue.

"I think we'll always have Harry Potter conventions-conferences, and the appeal won't end once it's off the 'new releases' shelf," Anelli says. "The mania will never be this intense again but this series will have life in the real world for a very long time."

"When something has staying power, it's because it strikes some kind of fundamental chord," Gabler, the cultural critic, says. "Kids identify with Harry Potter and his adventures; they identify with his empowerment. It's all very circular. We feel empowered by making a phenomenon out of something like Potter and Potter itself addresses the very idea of empowerment."

Offline opinionista

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 05:04:15 pm »
Rowling wouldn't kill Harry Potter, would she?

NEW YORK (AP) -- Brace yourselves, Harry Potter fans. No matter how desperate you are for Harry to live, some experts in classic literature and mythology say that finishing off the young wizard would make sense -- in a literary kind of way.

J.K. Rowling has never shied from darkness in her phenomenally successful series -- it started with the murder of Harry's parents, continued through his discovery that an evil wizard was trying to destroy him, and has included pain and torture and the deaths of major characters.

She's already promised two deaths in the seventh and final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," coming out July 21, and has refused to commit to Harry surviving. But she couldn't kill Harry off, could she? She wouldn't do that, would she?

"If you look at the tradition of the epic hero ... there is this sort of pattern that the hero delivers people to the promised land but does not see it himself," said Lana Whited, professor of English at Ferrum College in Ferrum, Virginia, pointing out examples from King Arthur to Moses to Frodo.

Greek mythology has plenty of examples, like Hercules, who was killed at the height of his strength, said Mary Lefkowitz, a retired classics professor who taught at Wellesley College in Massachusetts.

"There's no long promise of happiness," she said. "You may have brief moments of glory and then the darkness comes."

And don't be fooled into thinking a happy ending is automatic just because the main characters are young, said Anne Collins Smith, assistant professor of philosophy and classical studies at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas.

"Just because it's children's literature doesn't mean it can't have very dark events in it," she said.

Others aren't convinced, saying that Rowling's story about Harry and his adventures is less influenced by classical mythology than it is by other storytelling traditions.

Philip Ray, an associate professor of English at Connecticut College, said Rowling was part of a tradition of British writers like Edith Nesbit, writing stories where children are the focus and have grand adventures.

Since Harry is about to finish his years at Hogwarts, Ray said, "I think it would be very unusual for a book like this to kill off the main character at a time when he's about to graduate from school."

The books are about Harry's development into a young man, Ray said.

"For Rowling to have put Harry Potter through all seven volumes just to kill him off, the point of all development would be wasted," Ray said. "Death strikes me as being the strangest ending of all."

And even though the series has a dark aspect to it, Rowling hasn't set it up in such a way that Harry paying the ultimate price would make sense, said Tim Morris, who teaches English at the University of Texas at Arlington.

"I don't get the sense that J.K. Rowling has set us up for that kind of sacrifice," he said. "The first six books haven't given a sense of that tragedy to me. It's generally hopeful."

Whited acknowledges that reader outrage would be high if Harry died, and that it might seem cruel to younger readers, who aren't familiar with classic literary story arcs.

"I'm sure J.K. Rowling would get some howlers if Harry Potter did not survive," she said.

But even if he lives, don't be surprised if it's a hard-fought victory, she said. Another aspect of the classic hero myth is that even if he wins, it's not without some loss.

"There are always sacrifices, compromises along the way," she said. "If Harry doesn't die, one of his friends will."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 05:48:41 pm »

I will venture a guess now, and say one of the deaths will be Snape.
    And either Hagred or Mr Weasley

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 05:49:28 pm »

Maybe others would like to put a guess in??

Beautiful mind

Offline opinionista

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 05:57:07 pm »

Maybe others would like to put a guess in??

I think Hagrid dies too, killed by the giants or some beast. I am not so sure about the second one, but now that you mention it, it could be Snape. It makes sense. However, Mr. Weasley makes sense too.  It could also be a bad character. Maybe Draco Malfoy. So far, none of the bads have died so she has to kill at least one. But I don't think she kills Harry. If she does kill him that'll be a humongous plot twist.