Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3216280 times)

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #4220 on: August 13, 2008, 09:48:28 am »
Thanks to all for the Donnie Darko info.  I caught it on cable (Encore, IIRC) so I didn't have to rent it.
"Religious savior" story?  Hmmm, I don't know what that means either.  (I've been an atheist since the 6th grade - LOL!)
Maybe that explains why I don't get the movie.  I just thought the character was mentallly disturbed.  Plus, the whole timeline thing confused me.  I'm gonna check out that website.   

P.S.  PoP sounds like it is going to be an action movie.  I think it will be fun to watch Jake in it, so I'm happy they cast him for the lead.  I imagine he's going to be shirtless a *lot*.   ;) ;)

I do love shirtless Jake!   ;D
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4221 on: August 13, 2008, 03:35:55 pm »
Thanks to all for the Donnie Darko info.  I caught it on cable (Encore, IIRC) so I didn't have to rent it.
"Religious savior" story?  Hmmm, I don't know what that means either.  (I've been an atheist since the 6th grade - LOL!)
Maybe that explains why I don't get the movie.  I just thought the character was mentallly disturbed.  Plus, the whole timeline thing confused me.  I'm gonna check out that website.   

P.S.  PoP sounds like it is going to be an action movie.  I think it will be fun to watch Jake in it, so I'm happy they cast him for the lead.  I imagine he's going to be shirtless a *lot*.   ;) ;)

I do love shirtless Jake!   ;D
O.K enough excitement for one day.Many people think my husband looks like a cross between Jake and George Clooney, he has women all over him here, particularly with his English accent.Odd really as Heath is way more my type.!!!!

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4222 on: August 13, 2008, 03:47:44 pm »
He looks a bit okay in long hair.

Ditto about him being shirtless. WHHHHHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4223 on: August 13, 2008, 10:51:22 pm »
Yes, I know - the plot as far as the two lines I've read doesn't read like gruelling realism to me.  ;D But still, since it's set in Persia and not a completely invented place, I figured they might be going for some sort of "fantastical realism".

:laugh: :laugh:  But considering the actor they chose to be the Prince of Persia says to me that they're not really trying.  :laugh: :laugh:

And authenticity tends to fall rapidly by the wayside in historical movies in any case - I recently read an article going on about how gorgeous everyone looks in "The other Boleyn Girl" and "The Tudors" and how in real life, they'd not have been anywhere near as hot - what with the sanitary and general health situation, even for the nobility, in the day of Henry the 8th.

It's always been my belief that movies about the Vikings nearly never do well because actors have to look so, well, hirsute in them - thus reducing their appeal.

There are few people from the past that would be as attractive as we envision them in movies.  At least until soap and regular bathing came into social habit.  ;D

One old movie I saw once actually looked realistic - "Flesh + Blood" with Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Lee. It was a renaissance era period movie and everyone looked like they were dirty and stank.  Not very attractive at all.  But it was a good movie.  Now that I think about it, the movie had a gay couple in it also.  They were part of the mercenary gang.  Part of the opening sequence is a battle scene and a local priest is giving communion to the soldiers about to fight - he gets distracted then irritably says he has to finish what he's doing otherwise "this pervert" (the gay guy) is going to hell.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 01:45:16 am by delalluvia »

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4224 on: August 14, 2008, 12:41:30 pm »
:laugh: :laugh:  But considering the actor they chose to be the Prince of Persia says to me that they're not really trying.  :laugh: :laugh:

Hmm.... oh, I don't know about that. Jake himself helped SNL prove how very alike he can manage to be in looks to no other than Mahmoud Amadinedjad (sp?) - I guess that's about as close as there is to the current "Prince of Persia".  :o  ;D

One old movie I saw once actually looked realistic - "Flesh + Blood" with Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Lee.

I did watch Flesh+Blood too, quite a long time ago, and I agree that as far as I can remember, you're right. Everyone looked like they pretty much *reeked*. Though there *was* one bath tub scene.... ahem.  ;) (Honestly, I can't remember much of it).

But there's a more contemporary example, though, from the Fantasy genre. Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn was eternally (in)famous in the LotR fandom for looking like he fought all his battles primarily to win  the right to never wash his hair. The sweathy, grimy, shampoo-avoiding look was parodied a lot and generated endless (fond) jokes - but most people would concede that Viggo looked smokin' hot under the grease and grit. Or even because of the grease and grit.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4225 on: August 14, 2008, 03:30:30 pm »
 ;D :D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4226 on: August 14, 2008, 04:37:42 pm »
But there's a more contemporary example, though, from the Fantasy genre. Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn was eternally (in)famous in the LotR fandom for looking like he fought all his battles primarily to win  the right to never wash his hair. The sweathy, grimy, shampoo-avoiding look was parodied a lot and generated endless (fond) jokes - but most people would concede that Viggo looked smokin' hot under the grease and grit. Or even because of the grease and grit.

Hey Mika, you reminded me of an internet feature I saw recently and hadn't read yet: Hot & Dirty: Stars We Like Better Grimy.  Viggo's on page 2.  ;D

http://movies.msn.com/movies/galleryfeature/hot-and-dirty-celebs/?photoidx=1
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4227 on: August 14, 2008, 07:26:26 pm »
I did watch Flesh+Blood too, quite a long time ago, and I agree that as far as I can remember, you're right. Everyone looked like they pretty much *reeked*. Though there *was* one bath tub scene.... ahem.  ;) (Honestly, I can't remember much of it).

Oh, you reminded me!  Heh, I DO remember that!!  And later when they shed all their clothes to avoid plague. [yummy]

:laugh: :laugh:  Thank YOU!  I thought I was the only one who was like - Middle Earth doesn't have soap?  :laugh: :laugh:  Aragorn sure had some very loyal friends and lovers.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4228 on: August 14, 2008, 07:30:09 pm »
From Meryl
Hey Mika, you reminded me of an internet feature I saw recently and hadn't read yet: Hot & Dirty: Stars We Like Better Grimy.  Viggo's on page 2.

LOL! I agreed with most of the list - perhaps especially good ol' Clint, and Daniel Craig. And Viggo, but that goes without saying.  ;D

It remains to be seen if PoP will place Jake on the same list in future. From thoroughly studying his torso in these recent pics (There's no effort I won't make in order to ensure sufficient background research for our discussions, you know  ;) ),it certainly seems as if the movie-makers are gunning for him to join the ranks of the distinguished hot-when-dirty&sweathy club.

But I still say they *have* to do something about that mop of hair first!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4229 on: August 15, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »
Hi there! I started to read the report from the lovely couple who met Jake for lunch a while back. But now I canĀ“t find the link on the forum. CouldĀ“someone point me in the right direction? I feel like dose of Jake right now :D