Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3849509 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #4820 on: April 07, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »
"The shirt seemed heavy until he saw there was another shirt inside it, the sleeves carefully worked down inside Jack's sleeves.It was his own plaid shirt, lost, he'd thought, long ago in some damn laundry, his dirty shirt, the pocket ripped, buttons missing, stolen by Jack and hidden here inside Jack's own shirt, the pair like two skins, one inside the other, two in one. He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands."

I read this today and cried for our loss. Missing Heath -- I remember that it was his idea to switch the shirts when he put them in the closet at the trailer. That was a beautiful idea -- genius.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4821 on: April 08, 2008, 01:25:32 am »
I read this today and cried for our loss. Missing Heath -- I remember that it was his idea to switch the shirts when he put them in the closet at the trailer. That was a beautiful idea -- genius.

{{{Shasta}}}

Have you read what Diana Ossana said about the filming of this scene in her tribute in The Advocate? I found her tribute very touching.

"One of my most endearing memories of working with Heath on set was the day we filmed the final scene in Brokeback.  Before the first take, Heath walked over to me, a big smile on his face, and said, "I think you're going to like what I've done with thhis scene."  Then he headed inside that bleak little trailer house, and the cameras rolled.  I watched the monitor as Ennis opened his tiny closet door and revealed the two shirts he had found hidden inside Jack's childhood bedroom, like skins, one inside the other... and realized that Heath, as Ennis, had chosen to reverse the order of those shirts, with his on the outside, embracing Jack's.  Such was Heath's commitment to the truth of our story and to the rawness and depth of his portrayal.  Afterward our grizzzled and thoroughly macho first assistant director marched over to me, bent down, and whispered in my ear, "Diana, I've worked in this business 50 years.  This is the first time an actor's brought a tear to my eye."

Here's the full article:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,18304.msg353592.html#msg353592

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4822 on: April 08, 2008, 01:27:11 am »
Good morning Heathens  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4823 on: April 08, 2008, 02:17:47 am »
Beautiful new (to me) photos, Chrissi.

To those whose names we couldn't think of for the postcard - we did it spontaneously, and tried and tried to remember all frequenters of this thread.  So sorry to those whose names we missed in the moment.

Love,

Clarissa

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4824 on: April 08, 2008, 08:41:52 am »
Tu doives entendre je t'aime. :-*

(that tricky subjunctive...)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4825 on: April 08, 2008, 09:45:18 am »
I just caught up with this thread after some time away. Thanks for sending the postcard, y'all! What a nice gesture.

:-*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4826 on: April 08, 2008, 09:56:30 am »

{{{Shasta}}}

Have you read what Diana Ossana said about the filming of this scene in her tribute in The Advocate? I found her tribute very touching.

"One of my most endearing memories of working with Heath on set was the day we filmed the final scene in Brokeback.  Before the first take, Heath walked over to me, a big smile on his face, and said, "I think you're going to like what I've done with thhis scene."  Then he headed inside that bleak little trailer house, and the cameras rolled.  I watched the monitor as Ennis opened his tiny closet door and revealed the two shirts he had found hidden inside Jack's childhood bedroom, like skins, one inside the other... and realized that Heath, as Ennis, had chosen to reverse the order of those shirts, with his on the outside, embracing Jack's.  Such was Heath's commitment to the truth of our story and to the rawness and depth of his portrayal.  Afterward our grizzzled and thoroughly macho first assistant director marched over to me, bent down, and whispered in my ear, "Diana, I've worked in this business 50 years.  This is the first time an actor's brought a tear to my eye."

Here's the full article:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,18304.msg353592.html#msg353592

And he's just done it to me again.  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

yb

« Reply #4827 on: April 08, 2008, 10:29:12 am »
I have debated whether to post the following 2 pieces or not, but anyway, here they are, I got them from dcf:

About Heath's Portrait

I know the portrait of Heath by Vincent Fantauzzo is quite controversial, here's an interview of Vincent by the Art Gallery of New South Wales during which he has talked in depth about Heath and the portrait, here's the link to the interview which I think is worth watching:

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/events/multimedia/vincent_fantauzzo

An Article by Luke Davies, the author of Candy

Luke Davies has written an article paying tribute to Heath in the March issue of The Monthly, here's the link:

http://www.themonthly.com.au/tm/node/821

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4828 on: April 08, 2008, 11:16:16 am »
I have debated whether to post the following 2 pieces or not, but anyway, here they are, I got them from dcf:

About Heath's Portrait

I know the portrait of Heath by Vincent Fantauzzo is quite controversial, here's an interview of Vincent by the Art Gallery of New South Wales during which he has talked in depth about Heath and the portrait, here's the link to the interview which I think is worth watching:

Luke Davies has written an article paying tribute to Heath in the March issue of The Monthly, here's the link:

I'm not sure why you hesitated posting these but a big Thank you for doing so!  I watched a little bit of the Fantauzo interview but being at work I can't watch the whole thing at the moment but I will when I get home.  I can't wait!

What exactly is the controversy about the painting?  It's absolutely beautiful and makes a wonderful tribute.  I think we are lucky to have it.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4829 on: April 08, 2008, 02:03:42 pm »

About Heath's Portrait

Thankyou so much for both of those.The interview with the artist was so revealing.At first I really did not like the portrait,I think it seemed too raw.The more I see it and read about its conception,the more it grows on me.The 2nd tribute piece,just reduced me to tears again!!!!!
The author so eloquently captures how so many of us feel at the death of Heath.He is not mocking or condescending,but genuine.He also captures the "spirit" of the Heath we all felt we knew, beautifully.
So again,big thankyou.