Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3850857 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #6570 on: September 27, 2008, 05:07:36 am »
Drinking at Five Leaves

By Annie Fischer
Tuesday, September 23rd 2008

Anyone hoping that Heath Ledger was taking cues from Beatrice Inn (his famously favorite haunt) when outlining the plans for his now-open Greenpoint spot Five Leaves will likely be disappointed. I went twice last week, and it's definitely not a place to rage—the "We close at midnight" thing isn't a joke, unfortunately, which I found out upon walking in on Wednesday night at 11:45 and hearing the bartender announce last call. I went back the next day at a more respectable hour to find the place about half-full, with a few small groups still ordering grub and a rotating cast of cute loners taking their places next to me at the bar. My roommate was happy to find that the place stocks Coopers Pale, a beer she fell in love with while living in Australia, the land of Ledger. (Owners are first-time restaurateurs Jud Mongell and Kathy Mecham.)

The space is beautiful, predictably: Designer John McCormick is also credited with the interiors of lookers Tailor and Smith & Mills. (Everyone keeps throwing around the word "nautical," which I'm a little burned out on—for me, it evokes the laid-back, beachy feeling of being near water more than being, like, in it.) They've got all the contrasts just right: An enormously heavy bathroom door balances the pretty glass-and-wire fixtures, and steel toughens up the clean, blond wood. The angles alone are enough to occupy the eye, with exaggerated plank lines running alongside the arcs and parabolas of the bar, and the asymmetry of the physical space itself playing along. (It's located in a weird little triangular space at the tippy-top of McCarren Park.)

Supposedly named for the Swan cigarette papers that tell you when there are just five left in a package—although it's also posited that Nick Drake's album Five Leaves Left was a factor—the place is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Morning people can swing by a window00 to the side of the bar for coffee and pastries, and happy-hour friends can tide over dinner with oysters. The staff is affable, the crowd is pretty but not intimidating (so far), and the location is perfect for pre-gaming. I can't rage there, but I like it anyway.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-09-23/music/dirty-blonde-drinking-at-five-leaves-and-drinking-in-the-melodic-wisdom-of-tim-fite/

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6571 on: September 27, 2008, 09:48:42 pm »
I enjoyed the article you posted, Elle. Heath's place sounds like a wonderful place to hang out over there. Oh and it's so unfortunate that he's not here to see it come together. But, hey, he's with us in spirit.

Thanks. ;)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6572 on: September 28, 2008, 03:15:17 am »
Good morning Heathens :)

The Joker really grew on me.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6573 on: September 28, 2008, 12:16:54 pm »
Yeah. :( And tell me if I'm crazy but I CAN'T STOP thinking about him. I mean, everyday, he just pops into my head. It's like I'll never get over the fact that he's not with us anymore. :(

You're not crazy well no more than me anyway.He pops into my head daily, in fact usually several times daily. I cannot/will not accept he is not still around. I guess my brain will process the fact when it is ready.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6574 on: September 29, 2008, 01:00:31 am »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6575 on: September 29, 2008, 01:58:44 am »
Drinking at Five Leaves

By Annie Fischer
Tuesday, September 23rd 2008

Anyone hoping that Heath Ledger was taking cues from Beatrice Inn (his famously favorite haunt) when outlining the plans for his now-open Greenpoint spot Five Leaves will likely be disappointed. I went twice last week, and it's definitely not a place to rage—the "We close at midnight" thing isn't a joke, unfortunately, which I found out upon walking in on Wednesday night at 11:45 and hearing the bartender announce last call. I went back the next day at a more respectable hour to find the place about half-full, with a few small groups still ordering grub and a rotating cast of cute loners taking their places next to me at the bar. My roommate was happy to find that the place stocks Coopers Pale, a beer she fell in love with while living in Australia, the land of Ledger. (Owners are first-time restaurateurs Jud Mongell and Kathy Mecham.)

The space is beautiful, predictably: Designer John McCormick is also credited with the interiors of lookers Tailor and Smith & Mills. (Everyone keeps throwing around the word "nautical," which I'm a little burned out on—for me, it evokes the laid-back, beachy feeling of being near water more than being, like, in it.) They've got all the contrasts just right: An enormously heavy bathroom door balances the pretty glass-and-wire fixtures, and steel toughens up the clean, blond wood. The angles alone are enough to occupy the eye, with exaggerated plank lines running alongside the arcs and parabolas of the bar, and the asymmetry of the physical space itself playing along. (It's located in a weird little triangular space at the tippy-top of McCarren Park.)

Supposedly named for the Swan cigarette papers that tell you when there are just five left in a package—although it's also posited that Nick Drake's album Five Leaves Left was a factor—the place is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Morning people can swing by a window00 to the side of the bar for coffee and pastries, and happy-hour friends can tide over dinner with oysters. The staff is affable, the crowd is pretty but not intimidating (so far), and the location is perfect for pre-gaming. I can't rage there, but I like it anyway.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-09-23/music/dirty-blonde-drinking-at-five-leaves-and-drinking-in-the-melodic-wisdom-of-tim-fite/

Thanks for posting that Elle.

I want to go to New York...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline optom3

« Reply #6576 on: September 29, 2008, 08:32:28 am »
Good morning back,

A lovely treat for sore eyes. The joker grew on me too, as did the painting, but both left me indescribably sad.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6577 on: September 30, 2008, 12:07:59 am »
You're not crazy well no more than me anyway.He pops into my head daily, in fact usually several times daily. I cannot/will not accept he is not still around. I guess my brain will process the fact when it is ready.

Exactly. That's how it is with me, optom. I mean, it's like he's NOT completely gone and that he's not really dead. And he's never left my mind. Never. Maybe never will as long as I live. I probably can't really accept that he's gone, either. You're not alone.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6578 on: September 30, 2008, 01:03:54 am »

Offline optom3

« Reply #6579 on: September 30, 2008, 11:00:00 am »
Yesterday I took my daughter to pick out her Halloween costume, and I was not prepared for all the Joker costumes at the store.  Heath seemed to be everywhere!  Expect plenty of little Jokers to show up at your door on Halloween this year.

Oh my !!!  That was exactly what happened to us.My middle son is going as the joker.I could not work out in my head, whether it was making me happy or quite indescribably sad. The latter I think probably. Bless him, he chose it because, he knows Mummy loves Heath, so what could I say.He went off with my husband, and when he came back put it on for me I hugged him so hard and was biting my bottom lip so hard, it was a minute before I could tell him how Brill. the costume was !

My daughter, miss fuss pot came back with nothing.She is so indecisive sometimes. My older son is not bothering.