Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3849268 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #6890 on: December 11, 2008, 02:16:14 am »
I love that sweater!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6891 on: December 11, 2008, 11:37:06 am »
http://tv.msn.com/golden-globes/nominations/?GT1=28103

2009 Golden Globe Nominees Announced

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) -- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Frost/Nixon" led the Golden Globes on Thursday with five nominations each, among them best drama, while "Doubt" also has five, including four acting slots.

Other best-drama nominees: "The Reader," "Revolutionary Road" and "Slumdog Millionare."

Meryl Streep had two nominations, best dramatic actress for "Doubt" and musical or comedy actress for "Mamma Mia!"; and Kate Winslet also had two, best actress for "Revolutionary Road" and supporting-actress for "The Reader."

Also chosen for dramatic actress were: Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"; Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"; and Kristin Scott Thomas, "I've Loved You So Long."

Nominees for dramatic actor were Leonardo DiCaprio, "Revolutionary Road"; Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"; Brad Pitt, "Benjamin Button"; Sean Penn, "Milk"; and Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler."

"Doubt" also scored supporting nominations for Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams and Viola Davis, plus a screenplay slot for director John Patrick Shanley, who adapted his Pulitzer Prize-winning play.

The year's biggest hit, the Batman blockbuster, "The Dark Knight," came in with strong awards buzz across the board but had only one nomination, supporting actor for Heath Ledger as the Joker.

"Heath was a friend of mine," said actor Terrence Howard, a presenter at the nominations ceremony. "He gave his all in that film. I think he will win in that category. He'll also get an Oscar."

Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. were nominated as supporting actor for "Tropic Thunder." Each played odd roles: Cruise hidden behind a bald cap, beard and fat suit, Downey playing a white actor who undergoes a skin-tinting procedure to play a black man.

One of the year's biggest comedy hits, "Sex and the City," was shut out completely.

The Harvey Milk film biography "Milk" also had been at the top of awards watchers' lists but only grabbed an acting nomination for Penn.

Clint Eastwood had two music nominations for his "Changeling" score and for co-writing the title song for "Gran Torino." But he missed out on directing nominations for both films and for an acting slot in "Gran Torino," in which he starred.

While the hit "Mamma Mia!" was among best musical or comedy nominees, the category was dominated by smaller movies. The other contenders are "Burn After Reading," "Happy-Go-Lucky," "In Bruges" and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

The animated hits "WALL-E" and "Bolt" had two nominations apiece, for best animated picture and best song, the "WALL-E" tune co-written by Peter Gabriel and the "Bolt" song co-written by Miley Cyrus, who also lent her voice to one of the film's lead characters.

The song category was loaded with big names, including Bruce Springsteen for the title tune of "The Wrestler" and Beyonce Knowles for co-writing a song in "Cadillac Records."

"Vicky Cristina Barcelona" earned a supporting-actress nomination for Penelope Cruz, and her co-stars Javier Bardem and Rebecca Hall each grabbed lead-acting slots in the musical or comedy categories.

Joining Hall and Streep in the musical or comedy actress lineup were Sally Hawkins for "Happy-Go-Lucky," Frances McDormand for "Burn After Reading" and Emma Thompson for "Last Chance Harvey."

Along with Bardem, "In Bruges" stars Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson both were nominated for best musical or comedy actor. Also chosen were James Franco for "Pineapple Express" and Dustin Hoffman for "Last Chance Harvey."
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6892 on: December 11, 2008, 12:32:22 pm »
The year's biggest hit, the Batman blockbuster, "The Dark Knight," came in with strong awards buzz across the board but had only one nomination, supporting actor for Heath Ledger as the Joker.

"Heath was a friend of mine," said actor Terrence Howard, a presenter at the nominations ceremony. "He gave his all in that film. I think he will win in that category. He'll also get an Oscar."

Ha, you can always rely on your Brokies :D.
I heard in the news on the car radio that some German is nominated for a Golden Globe (forgot the details). I wanted to check the nominations at home - but you saved me the work. You're on the ball Meryl, thanks for posting :-*.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #6893 on: December 11, 2008, 12:43:08 pm »

Ha, you can always rely on your Brokies :D.
[ ] You're on the ball Meryl, thanks for posting :-*.

What she said. I saw the nomination on a news site and trotted over here to read the comments.

Having gained some distance to the whole TDK thing I think Heath should have been nominated as "Best Actor", if anything - not "best supporting". He made that film what it was nealry single-handedly and he was so much more visible than pale and forgettable C. Bale. And then Gary Oldman could have had the Best supporting nom instead!  :)   ;D

But I'm glad the film didn't get a "Best film" nod because it really wasn't that good. I still can't wrap my mind around the US box office.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6894 on: December 11, 2008, 02:12:06 pm »
What she said. I saw the nomination on a news site and trotted over here to read the comments.

Having gained some distance to the whole TDK thing I think Heath should have been nominated as "Best Actor", if anything - not "best supporting". He made that film what it was nealry single-handedly and he was so much more visible than pale and forgettable C. Bale. And then Gary Oldman could have had the Best supporting nom instead!  :)   ;D

But I'm glad the film didn't get a "Best film" nod because it really wasn't that good. I still can't wrap my mind around the US box office.

Hmmm, or maybe Aron Eckhart? I mean, that Two Face character...wow...THAT was real acting!  ;D

And C. Bale might have been pale and forgettable, you have to admit that he was easy on the eyes!  8) Very difficult on the ears though.  ;D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6895 on: December 11, 2008, 02:47:36 pm »
Awww, I remember when we saw it all together for the first time .... sweet memories :).
And the serenading before at the Mexican restaurant "Quizas Quizas Quizas" :D

We gotta do this again next summer (latest!)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6896 on: December 11, 2008, 02:58:26 pm »
Oh, yeah, the serenading was one of the highlights!

Ahhhh, happy memories indeed.  :-*
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #6897 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:54 pm »
Oh, the serenading was GREAT! I just made an ineffectual attempt to sort my stored photos and looked at the photo of myself wearing that huuuge sombrero and I couldn't help laughing. I'm holding on to the brim for dear life.  :D

You bet we'd better do that again next summer...

Hmmm, or maybe Aron Eckhart? I mean, that Two Face character...wow...THAT was real acting!  ;D   

Yuck! I like Aaron Eckhart but Two Face was too much for me! YuckYuckYuck!

And C. Bale might have been pale and forgettable, you have to admit that he was easy on the eyes!  8) Very difficult on the ears though.  ;D

I worry that I'm weird because Christian Bale just doesn't do a thing for me. I can see he's good looking and all but he always just seems to blend into the wallpaper.  Yes, I'm probably far from right - I clearly need nurse Joker to look after me! Stat!  ;)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6898 on: December 11, 2008, 11:55:32 pm »

It was so nice to see all the reporting on this nomination today.  I'll admit that it certainly brought a tear to my eye.  What a tragically bittersweet thing this award season will be.

I'll also say, that I quite like the Golden Globes.  I think the range of categories and blend of movies and TV are interesting.  And, the Globes did right by our BBM at least in major categories like Best Picture and Director.

No matter what happens with the Oscars, I'll still be very bitter about the Oscars.  To a certain extent, I still feel that any nod the Oscars give to The Dark Knight is some kind of gesture making up for the BBM diss.

And, in each case (Globes and Oscars) I still think Heath really should have won for Ennis and not the Joker.  Since Heath isn't here to enjoy these awards it also makes it hard to know how to interpret these awards (assuming that he'll win).  Who will accept for him on stage?
 :'(

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6899 on: December 12, 2008, 12:02:35 am »
I can't help but think how ironic it is that Heath will still be pitted against Phillip Seymour Hoffmann for the Golden Globe and probably the Oscar.  I hope he whups him this time.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...