Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8930636 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #13570 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:02 am »
Hiya Chuck, I haven't been on here much last few months.  Life has been too dull to write about  :(

Anything going on in your love life?  How about your dieting / fitness?

Hope you are well, miss your hugs.  ;)

Hiya Mandy!  Glad to see you stop by!   Even if you have nothing to write about, c'mon down and say "Hi" to us!!!

:-*

Other than what I posted above, I have nothing to write about either.  Diet/fitness is going OK, I'm slowly losing the weight and inches I've regained.   Now that I have a goal to focus on (the Madonna tour) it will keep me focused. 

I'm  assuming it will be a Mecca of gay men, I must be presentable.  :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13571 on: March 25, 2015, 09:58:03 am »
That's nice that you're taking your parents to PA.

On Friday, I'm going to hear my friend Margot speak about a book she just co-wrote about the Beaux Arts architecture movement.  http://www.rizzoliusa.com/book.php?isbn=9780847843404

On Saturday, joining some friends to see the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre perform in Boston.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13572 on: March 25, 2015, 10:54:05 am »
I'm  assuming it will be a Mecca of gay men, I must be presentable.  :laugh:

OK, here's a question for those of you who follow music, go to concerts, etc.: Is Madge's gay fan base predominantly gay men "of a certain age," or does she appeal to the kids of today, too?

I have no clue, but I'd be interested to know.

Madge is my age. Another way of putting that is, in three more years, Madonna will be 60.  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13573 on: March 25, 2015, 11:22:23 am »
Good grief, is it possible to have a sentence about Madonna that doesn't also contain the word "age"? But more specific to your question, I think Chuck could answer that question since he is in the Gen-X age bracket. The gay men in my Permaculture class like Madonna, so I know she appeals to the Millennial.

Oh, I just got an epiphany (and it didn't hurt . . . too much!). The word "permaculture" actually relates a bit to my approach to the subject of ageism. As long as you have your health, it shouldn't matter what age you are. . .should it? And I think Madonna certainly has her health. Since I made it to Everest Base Camp and back AFTER the age of 60, I'm not too apprehensive about Madonna turning 60, which will happen in 3 years, which is a long time. Sorry about having too many "which" clauses!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13574 on: March 25, 2015, 11:44:24 am »
OK, here's a question for those of you who follow music, go to concerts, etc.: Is Madge's gay fan base predominantly gay men "of a certain age," or does she appeal to the kids of today, too?

I have no clue, but I'd be interested to know.

Madge is my age. Another way of putting that is, in three more years, Madonna will be 60.  :o

Unfortunately, ageism is alive and well on American radio.  When was the last time you heard new music from Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Cyndi Lauper, U2 or acts of that nature on the radio?  If their songs got played, perhaps more of a younger base would be fans.

I can say (regarding Madonna) that her latest single, "GhostTown" is starting to get played at a few key Top 40 stations, so it may take off and become a hit, if given the chance.

When I went to her last tour (MDNA in 2012) I can tell you that there were a number of younger gay men there, that you would think should be Lady Gaga fans, and they were able to quote lyrics from hits from Madonna's debut CD that came out in 1983.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13575 on: March 25, 2015, 11:49:25 am »
I don't mean to hijack Chuck's blog--this discussion should perhaps be moved to my own blog--but I'm beginning to think this notion of "if you have your health, age shouldn't matter" is just another way for Boomers to deny the inevitability of death.

If you have your health I see no reason not to remain as active as you possibly can for as long as you possibly can. Bravo (brava?) to you for climbing on Everest after age 60. And good for Madonna to keep on going, too. Good for all the other rock'n'rollers who keep going, too.

To point out Madonna's age, and link it to my own, is really a way of pointing out that those of us who enjoyed her music when she first hit it big--What was it? Thirty or thirty-five years ago?--are now aging, too. To point this out is not "ageism." I prefer to think of it as bravely facing up to the fact that we are all mortal creatures and we're all going to die--some of us sooner rather than later.

Perhaps most people will find this post morbid; there's nothing I can do about that. Nobody likes to think about his or her own death, but I just wonder whether Boomers are even more reluctant to face up to that inevitability than preceding generations? Death is the ultimate denial of Boomer self-absorption.

And some of us gay men have been living with death as a companion for as long as Madonna has been a big star.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13576 on: March 25, 2015, 11:50:51 am »
When I went to her last tour (MDNA in 2012) I can tell you that there were a number of younger gay men there, that you would think should be Lady Gaga fans, and they were able to quote lyrics from hits from Madonna's debut CD that came out in 1983.

Thank you, Chuck! That's very interesting to know!  :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13577 on: March 25, 2015, 12:45:16 pm »
Well if we want to talk about death, that's fine with me. I've stared death in the face on more than one mountain. And Chuck, with his zombies and shower curtains, might chime in too!

But that's a separate topic from ageism. After all, death can happen at any point in life. By "ageism" I define that as a preoccupation with people's chronological ages. I have some friends who will look at a new person and immediately try to guess their age. And then once that person is out of earshot, they'll turn to me and ask, "How old do you suppose that person is?" I have a pat answer for this. I always say, "I don't know; I'm a poor judge of age." I simply don't think that way, and besides, people in the mountains look older than they really are because of sun damage to their skin.

I only have a limited amount of patience with people who go on and on about ages. But for people who use their age to keep from doing something, like my mother, I have even less. I'm trying to learn understanding and patience, and feel that that's the reason why she has come under my wing. But as far as Madonna putting down her guitar and microphone...I say, you go, girl! And if I'm in denial about death, so be it. Death will come, whether I deny it or not...so why not relax and enjoy living, I say.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13578 on: March 25, 2015, 01:12:33 pm »
Please feel free to use my blog to further this discussion!!!

And I just want to point out, Jeff, that I wasn't accusing you of ageism.  The point I was making that most artists, once they hit a certain age, have a very difficult time getting music played on mainstream radio.

It actually makes little to no sense.....after all, how many young kids do you know who liked the Beatles, or Led Zep, or other classic rock acts?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13579 on: March 25, 2015, 01:43:02 pm »
And I just want to point out, Jeff, that I wasn't accusing you of ageism.  The point I was making that most artists, once they hit a certain age, have a very difficult time getting music played on mainstream radio.

I didn't think you were, Sweetie. I think FRiend Lee was, and by her own definition, I think she still is. I don't happen to agree with or accept her definition. My understanding of "ageism" is prejudice or discrimination against older people--and that's what I think goes on when, as you point out, radio stations don't play the Boss or Prince or U2 or Cyndi Lauper (who, by the way, is about to make another guest appearance on the TV show Bones; she and David Boreanaz are good friends, or so says TV Guide). My guess would be that somebody, whoever programs these stations, or sells their advertising, thinks the fan base for the Boss, etc., is no longer in that coveted demographic group of, I think, 18--35, or something like that.

But as far as Madonna putting down her guitar and microphone...I say, you go, girl! And if I'm in denial about death, so be it. Death will come, whether I deny it or not...so why not relax and enjoy living, I say.

I don't disagree, as long as it doesn't lead to irresponsible behavior and more than necessary inconvenience for those who have to take care of things when death finally catches up to you. I'm sure someone who has managed the property purchases that you have is not being irresponsible, but I also bet that a lot of people "out there" are being irresponsible because they don't want to deal with the fact of their own inevitable death.

Incidentally, according to Wikipedia, Madonna was born Aug. 16, 1958, so I'm about three months older than her, and we will both turn 57 this year.