Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3126720 times)

yb

Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #9210 on: April 06, 2007, 11:56:35 am »
OK, I got it, will wait for the re-worked story.

About Heath's posting on HLC, I'm a member there so I know fairly well about his relationship with the webmistresses.  Thanks.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9211 on: April 06, 2007, 12:04:26 pm »
OK, I got it, will wait for the re-worked story.

About Heath's posting on HLC, I'm a member there so I know fairly well about his relationship with the webmistresses.  Thanks.

He posts there? Wow I didn't know that. Jake doesn't post in the websides dedicated to him.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9212 on: April 06, 2007, 01:05:54 pm »

Here is the beginning of the rework of my story, as long promised.  Events have overcome the need to start on this, and to acknowledge the more-than-editorial contribution of my co moderator and friend, L.H. Nicoll, without whom there would be no "Taking Chances" or the remainder of the stories in what our friend Jo from Sydney had nicknamed "The Laramie Saga" but is actually something... quite different.   

It was a wonderful, wonderful experience. Part of me is a little sad that that part of the adventure is over. On the other hand, we have a new and better adventure ahead. Hang on for the ride, everyone!

L

Exciting news for sure! Onward and upward -  I'm hanging on.  :)   Thanks, L & L!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9213 on: April 06, 2007, 04:15:02 pm »
okay

I know it isnt much but see how this tastes:

Mmmmm ..... delicious!!!! 

SPOILER?

Colson Grey - I like it.  And Adam - very appropriate.

Thanks,
Marie 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:58:22 pm by mariez »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9214 on: April 06, 2007, 04:19:46 pm »

Mmmmm ..... delicious!!!! 

SPOILER?

Colton Grey - I like it.  And Adam - very appropriate.

Thanks,
Marie 

Colson, actually.

Of English origin, it means son of Nicholas.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9215 on: April 06, 2007, 04:54:41 pm »
Colson, actually.

Of English origin, it means son of Nicholas.

L

Thanks, Leslie!  Dang, I knew it was Colson - that was a typo, kind of.  I did a quick search to find the origin of Colson and couldn't find anything - but I did find Colton, so I guess that was on my mind.   Anywhoo, I like the name!  :)  How were the names selected - any particular reason? 

Marie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9216 on: April 06, 2007, 05:37:37 pm »
Colson just sort of popped into my head this morning and I suggested it to Louise. We did a little research on the name and then she thought of "col's son...coal's son" (ie miner). There is already a reference to "working in the pit."

Beyond that, I'll let Louise elaborate, if she wants.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #9217 on: April 06, 2007, 06:55:33 pm »
there are a few more Biblical type references but we can leave that for Jo, the Literary Interpreter!

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9218 on: April 07, 2007, 01:33:16 pm »

Colson just sort of popped into my head this morning and I suggested it to Louise. We did a little research on the name and then she thought of "col's son...coal's son" (ie miner). There is already a reference to "working in the pit."

Beyond that, I'll let Louise elaborate, if she wants.

L

there are a few more Biblical type references but we can leave that for Jo, the Literary Interpreter!

Thanks, Leslie and Louise.

Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #9219 on: April 08, 2007, 05:33:32 am »
I am doing some more re-massage on these chapters and hope to have some more content up tonight.

For those of you who are watching your Friends List I have created a new group for the editorial staff and volunteers who are helping with this effort.  If you were not included in this group and wish to be, please pm me or Leslie.

Stay tuned!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”